Re-joining and need inspiration/encouragement

dizzywildflowa

I am re-joining slimming world tonight after a few weeks away because I need the constant fear of embarrassment when I get on the scales .... Trouble is, I appear to have absolutely NO will power to lose more than 4.5lbs...I think mainly because my clothes feel looser, more comfortable.

Does any one here have any tips on keeping motivated??

Well done for taking the decision to restart.

1) Buy a countdown. You will save money and as you have paid for 6/12 weeks in advance, will be more inclined to stick to coming to group and stick to the plan. Several members of the group I attend swear by this to keep them motivated.

2) Think about where you realistically want to get to, and then break down that point to more achievable goals. Give yourself affordable non-food treats when you reach each goal. Alternatively, put whatever you can afford per lb each week into a jar, knowing that when you reach your goal weight you will have a fund to kit yourself out with some new clothes.

3) Try not to think of this as a "diet". Being "on a diet" is a fast track to being "off a diet". The key to keeping weight off is not losing it in the first place, it is making small changes to the way you eat in order to improve your overall health and well being. The weight loss will follow as a matter of course while you enjoy healthy and filling food.

4) Use this site as a source of midweek support. Its invaluable. Every one of us is at a different stage of the process, and there will always be someone who has been there who can help and support you.

5) Keep a food diary handy at all times and fill it in! Having to write down everything you eat is a pain in the butt, but it is very valuable in terms of keeping you on track. It makes you much more aware of what you put in your mouth and makes you question whether you actually need to eat the thing you are eating or whether you are eating it out of habit or boredom.

That'll do for starters! Good luck!

There's some great advice given here already - especially with not seeing this as a 'diet'. That's a really big one for me.
I've just re-joined with my MIL and knowing she's going every week as well keeps me going - If I don't go she won't either, so I need to keep at it!

Just out of interest, how much do you weigh just now and how much are you hoping to lose? If you're already within a healthy BMI range, have a think about if you really need to lose any more than the 4-5 pounds if you're comfortable at that size?

Thank you for your replies.

At my last weigh in with SW I was 11st 4 and had maintained that weight for about 3 weeks. Being only 5' 4" I am aware that my BMI is still not right.

The trouble is I managed to get into my size 12's comfortably (either that or it was just a fluke pair of jeans from Dorothy Perkins).

Ideally, I don't want to lose masses of weight - I'd like to perhaps get back to 10st 5 and tone up a little bit. I am trying very hard not to see this as a diet this time around but a change in lifestyle - fingers crossed it works.

Thanks again for the wonderful advice :D

Back