Re Starters Who Have Won the Battle......

kd has explained it all so brilliantly, "i got to goal an overweight woman who happened to be slim" that is it in a nutshell!!!

I lost near on 11 stones, got heartily sick of ssing so started eating again, but I thought that losing that huge amount of weight was a 'cure' that my body would just carry on behaving and being slim, I went right back to my old habbits RIGHT BACK
I ate everything and anything, and LOTS OF IT .Think i was soooo lucky to only put back on 3 odd stones
I am back on cd ,today is day 7 , I am feeling great, I lost 21 lbs in my first week
I just put my head down gritted my teeth and went for it. I have learned some very very valuable lessons, the diet is not the magic cure, the weight coming off dosent mean you can be complacent , you have to be careful, and this now will be my goal, not the getting the weight of, i know i can do that, but the maintaining mind set is what i will be working on from here on in
xxx

I haven't actually done the lose the weight and maintain it bit yet, so maybe I shouldn't throw my opinion in the ring before I've tried it & seen how hard it is. But I've got a few ideas as to just how I plan to maintain.

1: I am immediately taking all clothes to the charity shop when I shrink out of them. Therefore I will not be able to put the wieght back on again because it will be too expensive to buy clothes.

2: I am thinking positively. I refuse to buy a size 16 garment ever again, because I am a size 14 now. If a 14 doesn't fit I will go to a different shop. Soon I hope to be saying that about size 12 (and all my 14s will go to the charity shop)

3: I accept that I will need to watch my weight for the rest of my life. I am not one of life's naturally slim people - I am someone who will need to work at it. I will continue to weigh myself every week and set myself absolute maximum weight limits. If I go above those I will get back on a diet again.

4: I'm going to train as a CDC. By staying in the weight loss business and motivating others I hope to be able to keep myself motivated.

5: I am really going to take the time to improve my fitness and general activity levels and find lots of fun active stuff that I enjoy (not "exercise" - I hate that!)

6: I kiss my children goodnight every evening knowing that I am doing the best for my health and am giving myself the best possibility of living a long and happy life and getting to know my grandchildren. ALso with a lsim mum for an example, maybe they won't fall into the fat trap like I did. My two (aged 5 and 3) are the best and no. 1 motivation that I have to finally lose this weight & keep it off.

I'm ranting, but there it is. I shall revisit this thread when I actually get into stabilisation/maintenace phases. And I'll let you know if it works.....

Not sure whether this will help, but....
I think, as KD has said, maintaining is as much of a learning curve as weight loss is; figuring out what works for you and what doesn't.
I lost a fair amount of weight (not quite to goal for financial reasons) and managed to maintain for about 8 months till I was ready to lost a bit more (which I did).
I then maintained the new weight over Christmas and the New Year.
I'm back because, due to a change of lifestyle/personal circumstances, a lot of what I 'learned' about maintaining before could no longer be applied, I got a bit lost and distracted, fell into bad habits and the weight slowly but surely crept on.
But that's just another lesson I've learned and a 'trap' I won't fall into again. Hard way to learn, mind you, but I *know* I can get the weight off, and I *know* I can keep it off with due care and attention.
So perhaps not the 'happy ever after' story you were looking for (yet, I'll post back in a 6 months!) but hopefully helps as a cautionary tale if nothing else.
I guess another important thing is not to get too stressed because if you stay happy and positive you're less likely to look for solutions in food!

I wish you all the luck in the world with this because I am just like you. I lost over 5 stone in 2006.

Whilst on sole source I could not believe people would regain the weight. I just couldn't understand how they could possibly let it happen. Yet it happened to me, now I feel like another dieting statistic. Living proof diets don't work. Truefully I don't really believe that. I lost the weight before I could / will do it again. I just can't find that will power. I've tried so many times. I hate being a slave to food. It feels like the same addiction that I once had for cigarettes. I know I'm a terrible example to my daughters. I am feeling quite emotional as I type this. I always wonder if I gone on to weight watchers for the last stone to learn about portion control etc would I have ended up this way, who knows. I am not giving up the fight though. I will start again when I feel the time is right. Good luck to all restarters and maintainers keep up the fight. We can win. Sorry if I've rambled on.

I've only just seen this thread & wanted to give you hope! I'm now 50 weeks into my current weight loss journey & about 19lb from target. In the past I saw dieting as a temporary messure & sure enough when I stopped I was an overweight person that just happened to be thinner & went stright back to my old ways. IF you can change the way you think it is very much possible to keep the weight off. Life got in the way of CD for me last year & I left the programme but instead if feeling like a failure I decided I'd do something else because I was so determined to succeed. I lost another 3 stone through calorie counting. 3 weeks back on CD now as I want to get to 'normal' so badly & all is good. It was worth those 5 months of hard slog to see my CDCs face when I went back to restart! Its very rare that someone goes back lighter than when they finished apparently so you're not alone. Try reading something like the Paul McKenna books that alter your thinking & you can get to wherever you want to be & stay there!!!

Good luck hun, I'll be watching out to see how you get on.

What a great thread and real food for thought (sorry!! excuse the pun!:D) I am still on my CD journey but am currently working up plans in prep for my holiday in 2 weeks time. I like everyone else have been a serial dieter. Having lost 3 stone before in WW several years ago i gradually put the weight on (except for 1 stone). I have always been obsessed with food and this was most certainly the case before CD. I was caught in a vicious circle of constantly thinking about my next meal:(. At breakfast i would think about what i was going to eat for lunch and then at lunch what for tea and so on. This made me so unhappy and at times i felt so desperate - how is it that something (food) which can give so much pleasure and is necessary to survive can also make us soooo unhappy?:confused: Since CD i have thought so much about my food obsession, trying to understand why and how - i don't think i'll ever really know but one thing i have realised is that i don't actually have to eat til bursting full to be satiated!! I did SS+ (full of admiration for all you SS 100%ers!!! Couldn't even think of trying it!!:p) and that one little 200kcal meal really took the hunger away in the first few days!! It was enlightening and taught me not to panic as i put the last forkfull in my mouth (normally i would've gone looking immediately for something else to eat:mad:) I realised that if i sat and waited and took stock that i was no longer hungry and didn't actually physically need anything else. At present my food obsession is gone:D Whether or not it stays gone I don't know (prob not) but i really feel liberated without it (i know a bit dramatic but it's true!!). I still am worried about holidays and getting back into that vicious cycle but am sooo determined to at least think about my food choices before i shovel crap into my mouth (am bringing some packs with me) because i am sooo much happier now without the constant food devil on my shoulder, he's really not welcome back and i don't need him:D. Sorry, i know this is not very well explained and is some personal psycho babble but just wanted to add my bit and say well done to you all.

What a relief!

Hi guys, what a relief to read the posts on this thread! For years I have lost weight, put on and lost it again. Three years ago I thought I had cracked it. I lost 7 1/2 stone and felt fantastic. I more or less maitained for 6 months but then I just lost the plot. I have now put all the weight on again. Needless to say I am gutted. I don't want to be like this! I'm living more or less in hiding feeling ashamed of myself. I'm tired of people (who have never been fat) telling me: I told you so, it will all come back on. Isolating myself has not helped matters. I have decided to do CD again. Spent the last few days just cutting down on volume before my first day - 11 July. This time though I know that the real battle starts with maintaining. I was told about maintaining but it just didn't sink in. Watch this space and wish me luck!

good luck honey :) i am both looking forward to and am terrified of maintaining. i think my main rule is going to have to be never buying clothes a size up from where i am again. if they get too tight then the weight has to come off!! and throwing away all my bigger clothes as that has been a sod in the past as finding a pair of troos that are a bit big that i love, then growing into them isn't the best option really is it? :D

abz xx

Hi guys, what a relief to read the posts on this thread! For years I have lost weight, put on and lost it again. Three years ago I thought I had cracked it. I lost 7 1/2 stone and felt fantastic. I more or less maitained for 6 months but then I just lost the plot. I have now put all the weight on again. Needless to say I am gutted. I don't want to be like this! I'm living more or less in hiding feeling ashamed of myself. I'm tired of people (who have never been fat) telling me: I told you so, it will all come back on. Isolating myself has not helped matters. I have decided to do CD again. Spent the last few days just cutting down on volume before my first day - 11 July. This time though I know that the real battle starts with maintaining. I was told about maintaining but it just didn't sink in. Watch this space and wish me luck!

Your not on your own..... and your in good company here..
Seeing this post is like a omen..... yes I can do it again, I've done it before and I can will do do do do it again, and so can you.
I'm not making promise, I'm going to do my best and I know I have a stubborn head, I just need to apply it to the CD.... thou shall not eat unless CDC tells me to.... XXXX Good Luck keep us posted. Chitty. XXXX

good luck honey :) i am both looking forward to and am terrified of maintaining. i think my main rule is going to have to be never buying clothes a size up from where i am again. if they get too tight then the weight has to come off!! and throwing away all my bigger clothes as that has been a sod in the past as finding a pair of troos that are a bit big that i love, then growing into them isn't the best option really is it? :D

abz xx

You can do it and defo, best to throw away all that are to big......... and for every fat pair of trousers you love, you will find 10 thin pairs that you like better. Keep it up, you are doing a fab job.

you go girl chitty, good luck hun

sue xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

how did it go honey? i'm a bit confused. have you started cd already or are you about to?

abz xx

Hiya sorry
I did CD 2006/07 lost nearly 7stone, then put 4 stone back on, didn't quite reach goal last time, was 15lb away...

So here I am now with 5 and a half stone to go to reach goal and 4 stone to go to move from SS plus to the plans... Well that is my plan.

My offical CD day is today, I'm starting out again, but I have a little secret I will tell you tomorrow...

I m going to bookmark this thread because it is amazing - excellent idea Chitty, and KD as always you are a star :clap:

Back