Really, really need some help :0(

Izzygirl

Hi everyone,

Firstly...my apologies if I sound defeated before I've even started, but I do feel like that at the moment, and am really hoping someone can offer me some words of encouragement :wave_cry:

I have reached complete rock bottom with my enthusiasm to lose weight. I have been trying to lose weight since I was 18 (am now 27), which I have gained due to PCOS, made much worse by emotional eating (the wrong things, at the wrong times). My favourite way to lose weight is Slimming World - I've tried so many ways to lose weight, and SW is the only plan I feel I can really stick to.

I just had my first daughter in July last year, and I did well to start with and lost a stone. I've since put it all back on, and more. I"ve been suffering from depression, so the emotional eating has gotten totally out of hand. My mum joined SW in September last year (at the same time as me) and has lost just over 3 stone, and it is encouraging to see how well she is doing...Just somehow I can't focus and get back on plan.

I have been having a break from SW for a few weeks while I started some new medication, but am hoping to rejoin on Tuesday. I feel like I've been here so many times before, so what is going to make this time any different. I really don't like feeling so defeatist, but that really is how I'm feeling about losing weight.

Thanks so much for reading...if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it :0) :wave_cry:

Cerries x

Hi, firstly sorry to hear you've been having a rough time and congratulations on the birth of your daughter :)
As for advice try not to think of it as "I am starting a weight loss diet" but rather that you have made a decision to be healthier and following the sw plan is how you will achieve this. I've had a bad couple of weeks off plan and got some good advice that helped me. Take 10mins out when you can just sit alone and write a list of all the reasons for and against you following the plan. When I read back through mine, my "for" column gave me a boost and my "against" column made me kick myself up the bum as there were no good reasons, only excuses!
Are you going to be joining a group? If so making the most of your membership and using all the benefits will really help. Staying to group is so important, and the online tools are great if you get stuck. Plus this forum has been amazing for me, there is always someone to offload to, give great advice and pick you back up.
I wish you all the best with your journey, you aren't alone xxx

Try to think of all that's good in yr life!!!
Talk to people about good and bad, don't just dwell on the bad.
You know u can do it cos u've done it before!!
Set yrself mini targets/goals And reward yrself with treats!! Get yr hair/nails done, buy yrself some jewellery etc and b positive about an loss no matter how small!! :)
Keep a diary on here and everyone will help! It's this sight that's kept me going!!!
Let me know when y start one and I'll follow you x

BritMumInCanada has PCOS and she gave me some great advice regarding types of food to eat with this condition. I swapped all my white carbs over to brown carbs. Like for example brown pasta, wholegrain rice, sweet potatoes instead of white. It has really helped me TONS! They also help you stay fuller for longer. In my siggie you'll find my video diarys, and one of my video's is about perfection. I think you'll find this helpful. I am a recovering binge eater, so I really appreciate your struggles. xx

I've put a picture of me on my fridge when I was skinny and a picture of a beach babe next to it. And in my chocolate and buscuit cupboard I've bought a lovely bikini two sizes smaller, and Its working for me, I've started making a tub of ready chopped fruit in a tub in the fridge so it's ready to pick at, and have healthier snacks in instead of bad food x

Hi there! It is easy to feel down and there are plenty of people in the same position as you starting out all over again. I'm one of them. No one here will judge you for this! At least you are taking a positive step to change for the better.

As suggested above dont treat it like a diet treat it like a healthy way of eatining/living for life. That makes it easier to stop blips turning into days and weeks off plan. You will get there!!

Hi, my advice would be try and plan a few days at a time, plan your meals and shopping and dont buy any treats for anybody else, they can get there own when there out on there own. Write everything down and count your syns. Try a new recipe or two every week. I eat carrot battons dipped in quark cheese or nat yog mixed with sweet chilli sauce when im bored watching tv on a night. And i treat myself with every half stone i loose, i buy a new pandora charm. I bought one of the twisted leather bracelets so when im at target there should be 7 charms on it. I wear it every day as a reminder of the importance of it. But the most important bit of advice would be that we all have slip ups and fall of plan every now and again, just draw a line under that day and start again the next. Im sure with the help, advice and support on here, you will succede. Good luck .

I have been a SW member on and off for years but seemed to be getting bigger as the minute I stopped going I resumed my old habits!
I hit rock bottom in May 2008 when my Dad died suddenly and I was drinking a bottle of red wine every night to numb the pain and eating rubbish. I got bigger and bigger and then stopped going out unless I really had to. I avoided looking in mirrors, once went 2 weeks without washing my hair and really did not have any love for myself :(
One of my oldest friends asked me to go and see Take That last year and I knew there was no way I could go and have fun at the size I was at so that was my motivation.

Being overweight and / or depressed is a cycle - you're depressed cos of your weight, so you eat more so you get bigger and you get more depressed etc etc.

You have taken a big step coming on here admitting what is wrong so well done on that and as the lady above says you have a lovely baby daughter now and that is something positive to focus on.

If you find a good group you WILL have support and will hopefully make some new friends too and of course, you have your Mum as well.

Take it slowly but surely - once you have lost your first half stone you will feel happier and more motivated.

I am sending you a virtual hug and lots of positive vibes! xxxxx

Hello!

Youve had alot of very lovely replies and anything I could suggest has been metioned but I wanted to say that Ive been there..

Ive had depression, Ive suffered/suffer with emotional AND mindless/boredom eating. Ive just had my second baby, im 29, been dealing with weight issues since about 15, AND Im the same height as you! ;)

I found quite recently that my weight issue is more of a symptom of other things, rather than it being an issue itself (does that make sense!?)

my parents divorced when i was 15/16 and i found comfort in eating. for years after that, i saw my weight creep up and tried every diet going, including sw for the first time. because i wasnt dealing with WHY i ate, it didnt matter how much weight i lost, i would gain it back. Perhaps speaking to someone about the depression (if you havent already) or looking back to see if theres any real reasons behind why you eat the way you do?

The main thing that is getting myself in gear with my eating, weight and issues are my boys. My mother has always been very overweight, as well as quite a few members of my amily, and I really dont want to go down the same route. I WANT to chase my boys round the park, play football with them and even get on the floor with ease to play with them. things i never really remember my mum doing.. not that i mind looking back, but I want to do those things. i want to enjoy my boys while theyre still so young and not even in nursery yet.

Rather than buying myself any MORE diet books or exercise dvds, Ive been buying more books on how to deal with things, rather than what to eat (after dieting for half of my life, i KNOW what to eat and what not!!) I dont know off the top of my head if im allowed to suggest books, as I didnt read the rules before replying, but Ill add some I have read, see what you think.. and I wish you all the luck in the world, ive spent endless tears, time and money being where you are right now. You will get out of it and thinks will "click" xxx

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy For Dummies
beyond chocolate by sophie and audrey boss ( i dont follow it by the letter, as Im doing sw, but most chapters I connect with)
Mindful Eating: Free Yourself from Overeating and Other Unhealthy Relationships with Food
Overcoming Depression for Dummies (UK Edition) (yes i know, i like dummies books!!)
Body Confidence by Astrid Longhurst

These are all on amazon for around a tenner each, and thers plenty more i could recommend, but theyre still in my wish list!

xxx

Hey,

Congratulations on the baby :)

I too have PCOS this is my 3rd time back on slimming world as i lost my way previous two times. The last time i stopped losing weight for weeks and quit when i should have probably stayed but im back now and determined to lose.

I gained alot of weight due to my PCOS and iv just recently decided to change to some red days which reduce my carbs, pasta/rice and potatoes as they seem to make me bloated and im sure this is part the reason i didnt lose aswell the last time.

Goodluck with your journey, i have a food diary if you want a wee peep.

Don't quit you can do it :)

Wow thank you so much for your lovely replies! I didn't realise anyone had replied as I didn't get an email notification, so it has been a wonderful surprise when I logged on just now!

I am going to make a cup of tea and read your posts. And I think I will start coming on here more often...I think it will really help :0)

Hi hun, how are you getting on? x

Back