Really sorry...Rice question!

airgirl

Gold Member
I'm sorry as I know this probably seems like a stupid question to some of you. But...rice is a free food on EE and Green, I just had some Uncle Ben's express wholegrain for lunch and have just now realised it is not free.

That's what is confusing me, why is this rice not free? And which rice is free?

I would imagine its because its been processed before. Normal rice you boil yourself doesnt have any addatives in it or extras etc

I think that its something to do with oil being added to the pre cooked versions - same goes for straight to wok noodles, also fresh pasta has syns but dried doesnt.

All dried plain rice is free, and some flavoured as well (most Batchelors savoury rice for example)

I guess its a toss up between saving a little time, or saving some syns

Shabba is right, it will be because it is a processed rice. The 'express' types, even 'plain' ones, are normally pre-cooked, and coated in oil before packaging iirc, so do have Syns. Boiled rice is free however.

Thank you......I know I'm coming across a bit dumb lol just had it so easy the past 6 months where I didn't even have to think about food or drink. It's like educating myself all over again.

Plain and boiled from now on then.xx

The pouches of fresh/microwave rice have oil in them (I think, or other additives), whereas the dried stuff to boil doesn't.

Don't know about Uncle Ben's because I have never bought it, but the Tilda rice which comes in similar packaging has oil in it. For instance, the ingredients list for Tilda steamed brown basmati rice inlcudes rice bran oil.

Back