Recommend me a new frying pan & wok

Hi all,

Sorry in advance if I shouldn`t ask here, but I thought all the keen cooks would be here. I need to buy a new frying pan & wok preferably both with lids.

Please will you all share with me what you use, I don`t mind paying for good quality pans that last. I am intrigued by some of the newer non stick surfaces as seen on TV shopping channels..... Flavourstone, ceramic etc. I bought a Greenpan wok from TKMaxx and it was great for the first few uses but now everything sticks to it so I am skeptical whether they work, and a lot of the stuff sold on TV is a bit pants.

All advice and opinions appreciated.
Thanks,
Bees_knees

Hi There.
When you buy a wok if it's not non stick then you need to "season" it, put it on a high heat with a few drops of cooking oil, when it starts to smoke remove from heat and wipe clean with paper towels, repeat until it wips cleanly, do not dish wash it, just wipe it clean or you will have to do it again, you should end up with a dark coating over it. I use a stainless steel large frying pan, this can go straight in the oven if required and it wipes clean easily, Avoid the cheaper "Tefal" with the red spot as the non-stick coating comes off easily even if only using non metal tools......The thick based ones, very expensive are ok!

Good advice above!

My Dad was a big fan of wok cooking and considered a non stick wok to be anathema haha! When he died I inherited his wok which was of the inexpensive metal kind with no coating all all, beautifully seasoned and black all over. I have since replaced it (the handle fell off!) with another fairly cheap wok which I think I bought from wilkos. ;) It's still going a good 8 years later and nicely seasoned! I give it a rinse and a good wipe round with sesame oil after every use and it's served me well.

Couldn't advise about the frying pan really as my pans are all ancient and need replacing so I have no idea what the new big thing is. Will read any suggestions with interest. :)

I highly recommend ceramic coated non stick cookware, you dont need to use any oil and nothing sticks. I love mine and will be replacing all my saucepans. I currently have one saucepan, one frying pan and one wok with the ceramic coating. They are the best purchase ever.

Back