Reductil

Zeviel

Ok well I just got home from the doctors and I've been giving another weight loss pill! Reductil, or as it says on the sheet sibutramine hydrochloride.
Can anyone tell me how well it works? I know what I want and that is a gastric band or a bypass but I have to give this a try and just do my best! But I'm not all that sure of pill's, I've had pills before and they haven't worked!
can anyone tell me how they have been on it :) thanks x :rolleyes:

Hiya Zeviel,

Thought I would post here to inform you, or try to inspire you in some way with reductil.

Different things work with different people, I myself attempted to get a band / sleeve and was given reductil to try. I had already tried reductil 2 years ago and it worked a little but I fell off the wagon after a very short time due to my mental state - my head just really wasn't to commit to a change of lifestyle right away.

However this time its different. The thing with me is, I knew what I could eat, ie portion sizes and what was healthy. However, I seemed to suffer from a ferocious appetite, which made me just grab the nearest thing to me no matter what it was and eat it. I found this got worse the more I ate, and I believe thats just your body getting used to so much food and then needing it like an addiction.

I have seen numerous dieticians and counsellors and back at the end of June 09, I decided I have had enough. Something clicked - I cleared out my fridge freezer and cupboards and replaced all of my foods with healthy foods. I started to then take the reductil, now what this did for me was to make it so I wasn't so hungry all of the time and that a smaller portion would satisfy me more.

It isn't a wonder pill but it will help, you just need the right frame of mind while using it - now I eat 3 portions a day, a typical day for me would be a small bowl of bran flakes in the morning at 6.30am with skimmed milk, at lunch between 12-13:00 a ham salad/tuna sandwich in wholemeal bread or ham/prawn/tuna or crab salad box, and for dinner always between 16:00 - 18:00 meat and veg (usually chicken) or a soup. If at any time I am getting hungry (which I still do on reductil, as it wont stop hunger totally) I eat some fruit and drink lots of water.

It is an aid really to help you change your lifestyle and luckily is working for me but understanably it won't work for everyone.

Also different people can have different side affects, like some dizzyness / lack of sleep etc.

I would advise you that its best to take this pill in the morning with your breakfast, making it easier to sleep at night. I have had no problems sleeping since taking it so early.

Another tip is, I will generally get hungry at 9pm - 10pm, I just go to bed lol, and sleep through it, then I wake up not hungry and force breakfast down me (which I used to always skip due to never being hungry in the morning).

Sorry for the long post, I will stop boring you now and just add, that in 11 weeks or so I have lost 43lb like this - I still have a long way to go but I hope this gives you a little hope that it can work for some

Good luck! x

Hi Zeviel,
I am also on Reductil and as Shiny Tooth has already said, it is by no means a wonder drug but it does most certainly help.
It works by blocking the nerve cells that release and reabsorb Serotonin, this means that Serotonin levels increase. These act in the brain and enhance feelings of fullness so that you eat less and consequently lose weight.
The most common side effects include increases in blood pressure, a dry mouth and insomnia.
There are two strengths of Reductil, 10mg and 15mg. I am on the 10mg ones.
The first four weeks that I was on them I dropped a stone without too much of an effort. I drink loads of water to help with the dry mouth and I take the tablet first thing in the morning to help with the insomnia.
The second four week period I really struggled. I was picking at food and the appetite was creeping back up.
In hindsight I realize that I wasn't really committed to making a long lasting change to my eating habits so I have now enrolled at weight watchers and have made a real conscious effort to get back on track.
Reductil can be of a real benefit to you if you use it as intended. It stops you feeling so hungry so use that benefit to make sensible choices about the food that you do eat.
I would suggest giving it a go and see how you get on. Come back and let us know.
Good luck with you're journey.
All the best, Annie. xx

i just find it hard to believe that its going to help me, i dont have a hunger problem. i have a i'm a pig problem, i just eat anything and everything! i dont have to be hungry, i can have my dinner and still want to go eat! :( but i'm very willing to give anything a try.. i'm already in slimming world, its just not going so well :(
i havent gone to get my pills yet as i havent got any money :S

Even with a band you can eat too much, not as much in 1 go but you could potentially have your dinner then half an hour later a small nibble ie a biscuit a chocolate bar and when thats digested same again etc, and if you have a bypass and that habit is still there, you would end up hurting yourself (im not an expert in WLS but you might find that section of the forum interesting). As I am someone who looked into WLS and was even prepared to pay privately I really did my research, speaking to both people who were successful and people who failed on it or had problems because they found they could not sever that bad relationship that had with food.

Have you told your doc this or the dietician / counsellor at the hospital? It might be why they recommended reductil, I know from experience (at least in my case) they only consider people for surgery who have shown that they can last xxx long without gaining weight. They test you before recommending you for surgery as long as you meet all the other criteria, that you can control the habit we have with food with the aid of drugs like xenical or reductil.

I was just like you Zevial, I would have my dinner and seconds later would be wanting more ... even with this pill I can eat and then im not hungry but, I still am tempted to have more or something else, I just control it, which until now is something I was unable to do before because I wasn't ready.

You can do it! We know you can :) Stay positive, give it your all :)

Hi Zeviel, I have started taking reductil this morning but like you my fear is that, I very rarely am hungry, I just eat and eat for the sake of it so am worried that even if reductil is telling my brain that I'm not hungry, the rest of my body wont really care and I will eat rubbish anyway. I really want to give it a go and read somewhere that reductil was origionally designed as an antidepressant (because of the feel good factor it gives you) but the realised that it was much better served as an appetit supressant that they re marketed it as one. Anyway because of this I am hoping that it will somehow give me a more positive attitude (as well as making me less hungry), therfore making me eat less, well thats what I hope anyway.

So just to say good luck and it will be nice to see someone elses progress on the medication

claire xx

today is my first day, only got them yesterday as i didnt have any money. i have to say they are doing the trick at the moment, i'm not hungry and i'm feeling rather happy :) but my partner is at home and i'm always happy when we spend the day together and i do tend to eat less when i have someone to talk to and someone take my mind off things... this week will be a real test as i will be at home on my own from 7:30am till 5:30pm, the only thing thats bugging me at the moment is that i have heartburn! lol
for breakfast i had cornflakes and skimmed milk, dinner had a ham and cheese roll and for tea i'm going to have some noodles or something. thats already loads less that i would eat, so the first day is going rather well indeed :D
i know i'm not hungry but i still want to go out and eat something but i'm just going to have to do my best not to pick.. we have to go shopping tomoro so thats going to be a pain, try to not pick up all the foods i know isnt good for me.
just out of interest shinytooth how much did you loose in the first month? i know when i do slimming world i can loose 5 pounds in a week but i've quit slimming world and i just want to try going on my own for a while, i know what i should be eating.. i dont need to pay £4.50 to see how much i weigh! lol
its so good tho that i only have to take one pill in the morning and not one with every meal! wow sorry i'm babbling :p

Hi Zeviel,
I'm really glad you decided to give the Reductil a go and thats its working it's magic for you.
Fingers crossed that it turns out to be the thing that helps you achieve you're goal.
Rooting for you sweetie, keep up the good work!
Come and join us on the forum 'reductil buddies wanted'. Theres a handfull of us all helping each other along the way, be lovely to have you're input and comments either good or bad about how you're finding things.
Don't be shy, we only bite if you're carrying food. (or is that only me?!!!)

Annie. xx

lol i would come chat with you all but i'm not sure where i'm ment to go to get there, the only way i get back here is because i bookmarked it :p do you have a link? hmm maybe i'll just have to have a wonder and hope for the best.. its not the easies site to use :p

i posted on there and its not showing up...

Back