Restaurant meals -- help

366to266

Wanna lose 100lb
Sooner or later I am going to have to eat in restaurants and would like to keep the calories as low as possible. Two questions...

1. what kind of restaurant should I choose?

2. when I get there what shall I order?

I don't eat bread or pasta.

Thank you ladies!

xxx

I have ate at nandos before and I got 1/2 chicken, spicy rice & corn on the cob for about 800 calories I think! and if I go to a pub for a meal (try not to since on diet) I order 8oz steak, jacket potato & peas & I have also ate at pizza express because I wanted to try one of their new low fat pizzas, whole pizza for 500 calories (they cut the middle out of the pizza and replace with a fresh green salad yumm (dont think that will be much use to you though sorry) x

Mmmm nandos lol!
Nova - you should try the pizzas, soo nice when you want something ''naughty'' and only 500 calories, its great! obv not the same as eating a large stuffed crust meat feast at pizza hut which I could easily do :8855:
Yep I agree, If I know I am going to be eating out I always adjust the rest of my day to follow and make sure I asked how its cooked 1st (steak/eggs ect) and its fine :) and its good to know the calories of things before hand

Well thanks for dropping by ladies. We don't have a Nandos here.

But I suppose you are saying, have a baked potato?

Not many people answer threads like this, do they?

I have found loads of calorie content for restaurants online. Wagamamas has some lower calorie options. I met a friend for lunch in costa coffee yesterday (not exactly a restaurant I know!), and researched before hand. A skinny latte and my favourite mozzarella panini came to just over 530 calories, so I had a little less for breakfast and was fine! The joy of calorie counting is you can eat anything, just adjust the rest of the day's intake to make your total end up at the right amount. I'm also a big fan of the pizza express hole in the middle pizzas - lovely, and fill me up ... I don't think I'd be able to manage a 'proper' pizza anymore!

I don't eat wheat. :-(

Desperate do some searching online for the restaurant you're going to (or some with a similar menu) and then you can have a rough idea of the calories in whatever you fancy! If you choose one of the healthier options you'll feel even better about yourself afterwards for doing it!

I'm reluctant to make suggestions because I know you can't have wheat (and it seems to creep into lots of sauces and things I think), and I don't know what types of food you like. But you can't go wrong with Salads (sauce on the side), or meat and 2 veg type things (again sauce on the side?) If you're anything like my friend who can't eat wheat I'm sure you're fed up of baked potatoes when eating out!

What do you like to eat at home? Eat that when you're out :)

Just eat well for the rest of the day, and stop when you're full and you'll be fine, it's not something to worry about, especially if eating out is only once a week or less.

Also worth reading the starters menu, even if you're just wanting to eat one course: you might find a lower calorie alternative on there that you could ask to have but get it served with other people's main courses, then maybe order a salad to go with it? :)

I was just thinking the same thing Rigby! My aunt can't eat wheat, and she often chooses a risotto when we go out. Not particularly low in calories, but you may be able to get a smaller portion, or only eat half (with a side salad), or adjust your calories for the remainder of the day. Life is for living, and food for enjoying. The occasional meal out is great for your morale and don't worry too much about punishing yourself with something you won't particularly enjoy. In the 6 weeks or so since I started calorie counting, it's been birthday season in my household, and I think I've eaten in a restaurant at least 4 or 5 times, without too much harm being done.

I agree - I love eating out so when I do I just enjoy it. I can't afford to do it often enough for it to cause too much weight gain anyway. I try to behave more through the week if I know I'm having a meal out on the weekend and keep myself active as much as I can to burn as many calories as possible.

I was just thinking the same thing Rigby! My aunt can't eat wheat, and she often chooses a risotto when we go out. Not particularly low in calories, but you may be able to get a smaller portion, or only eat half (with a side salad), or adjust your calories for the remainder of the day. Life is for living, and food for enjoying. The occasional meal out is great for your morale and don't worry too much about punishing yourself with something you won't particularly enjoy. In the 6 weeks or so since I started calorie counting, it's been birthday season in my household, and I think I've eaten in a restaurant at least 4 or 5 times, without too much harm being done.

I often do it, I'm a vegetarian and main courses tend to have limited options but something there's something nicer on the starter menu (and I never eat a starter anyway, so it can work out nicely as a main meal) :)

Back