Rice recipes for a green Day

lauryloo

I have a load of rice in the house but have no idea what to do with it and could use some inspiration! Want to keep it as low syn as possible :)

Hiya
In the new SW book (that I won in the raffle last week!!!) there is a recipe for pilau rice which is amazing....

(Serves 4)
Free on Green days.

Fry light
1 onion
1tsp fresh ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp curry powder (I use tikka)
2 cloves (I missed these out as I didn't have them)
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped (again, didn't have any)
300g mushrooms, 1/4ed
200g basmati rice
500 ml boiling water
chopped coriander

Fry onion in fry light, add ginger, garlic, turmeric, curry powder and cloves, and stir fry for 2-3 mins. Stir in veg and cook for 2-3 mins. Add rice, and cook for 2-3 mins.
Add water, and return to the boil.
Cover tightly and leave on low heat for 15 mins. Remove from heat and leave lid on for another 15 mins. Fluff up grains with a fork and stir in coriander.

Enjoy! Emma xXx

Paella

This is great - I've only ever tried it with proper paella rice but you could have a go with the normal stuff.

Vegetarian Paella
Serves: 2-4

Ingredients
· Fry light spray oil
· 4 cloves minced garlic
· 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
· 1 cup tinned baby carrots halved
· 900ml stock (vecon/chicken bovril)
· Juice of 1 lemon
· 1 cup paella rice
· 3 medium tomatoes, flesh chopped
· 2 cups chestnut mushrooms, sliced
· 1/2 tsp tumeric or 1/4 tsp saffron (crushed)
· 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
· 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika
· Flatleaf parsley & lemon wedges

Preparation
Heat the stock in a saucepan with lemon juice until simmering.
At the same time, using fry light sauté the onion, mushrooms and garlic until the onion is tender and translucent.
Pour the rice into the pan, sauté for about 3 minutes add the paprika and tumeric . and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Add the simmering vegetable broth and carrots then cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until almost tender and almost all the liquid has been absorbed.
Stir in the tomatoes and continue cooking until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
Serve the paella garnished with lemon wedges and flat leaf parsley
Top with cooked quorn sausages if desired

put rice in a pan and instead of boiling it with water, boil it with chicken stock instead and then add some lime juice to this, and some mushrooms, peppers etc. Its very tasty.

if you've got some pudding rice make a nice rice pudding (yummy and free if you use milk as hexa!)

Back