risotto in slow cooker?

Can I be honest? I don't think it's really suitable hun, because a proper risotto should be made adding small amounts of liquid to the rice etc at a time, and being patient whilst it all absorbs. Saying that, you can always give it a go- you may be pleasantly surprised!! It's just that I was always taught to do it the bit at a time traditional way using proper risotto/arborio rice! Yum!XXX

Thank you, will make it in a pan!

Ive just bought the slow cooker so am a bit unsure what I can and cant do in it! im like a big kid with a new toy lol!! xx

I love my slow cooker!! And don't get me wrong, it's amazing what you can do in it, so try a risotto and see what you think!! Paella may be a winner actually!! If you're a meat eater, I'd highly recommend doing joints of meat in there!! It cooks a whole chicken perfectly! I scrumple up bits of foil and lay it on the bottom so the chicken isn't sitting in its juices- no extra liquid necessary!! Falls off the bone! Or a joint of lamb- falls off the bone, or a ham hock- yup, also falls off the bone!! It's great! And I do lots of casseroles with either chicken (thighs/legs), beef or lamb. I must admit I haven't experimented that much yet or used it to its full advantage!!X

Thank you, some wonderfull ideas there!!! My mam bought if for me to say thank you for some jobs we did for her!

I normally use a caserole dish or something for meats and stuff so Im just getting my head around using it!

Thanks again xx

:hijack:Hijack Alert!!

I'm really sorry but I have no idea whether risotto would work in a slow cooker... I too have only done the slow stirring bit by bit pan method.

So I thought I'd carelessly hijack with a slow cooker question...

I got my slow cooker for Xmas and absolutely LOVE it!! I've made lots of one-pot style dishes including curry, casseroles, lamb shanks in gravy, bolognese, chilli etc.

But... My slow cooker manual says there always needs to be enough liquid in the dish to come up to at least halfway.
I really fancy trying to cook a joint or chicken in it but scared that I can't because of this...

Any ideas, do you think it's something specific to my model or is it one of those silly rules you don't really need to pay attention to??

I've done risotto in mine. But mine seems to run hot and it only really takes an hour on low! I have however made a risotto with pearl barley, butternut squash , sage and gorgonzola that was lush.

Hi Sarah, I've done chickens lots of times now and you honestly don't need to add any liquid!! As I said earlier, scrumple up pieces of foil and place in the bottom for the chicken to sit on and I also pop 1/2 lemon in the cavity and season the top and give it a spray of Frylight! It browns but just doesn't crisp, but of course we don't eat the skin anyway here at SW do we!! LOL! It falls off the bone and is deeeelish!! I must admit I did throw some stock in with lamb shanks, but I've also done a joint of lamb (?shoulder) and it cooked beautifully without any liquid!X

I've done risotto in mine. But mine seems to run hot and it only really takes an hour on low! I have however made a risotto with pearl barley, butternut squash , sage and gorgonzola that was lush.

Aha!! That's handy to know girls!! A success story! And that sounds delicious Judi X

Thanks funcurls - I was just a bit scared because of what my manual said... I will definately have to try it out...

Been reading, and have a risotto slo-cook recipe, not tried it yet tho!

1 butternut squash, about 2lb, peeled, seeded and cubed.
4 large sage leaves, chopped
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
seasoning
12oz risotto rice
50 ml sherry- 2.5 syns if extra dry!
2 1/4 pints of veg stock
2oz walnut pieces -hex b on green

Put squash, sage, onion and garlic in slo-cooker.
Spray with fry-lite, stir and spray again.
Season.
Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, stirring half way.
Add rice, sherry and stock, and combine gently trying not to break up the squash.
Reduce heat to low and cook for 1 to 1.5 hours, or til rice is tender.
Season to taste and add a splash of hot stock if you like a creamy risotto.
Sprinkle with walnuts and serve!

This serves 4-6 peeps, and syns depend on how you make your veg stock!

There we are, I've been proved wrong about slow cookin risottos!! I think I'm going to try one now after all that!! LOL!X

Thanks guys, will have to give it a go then!

Making a chicken casserole in it at the moment for tonights dinner but might give the risotto a go tommorrow.

xx

I have a few slow cooker recipe books (try the library!) and you'd be amazed at what you can do in a slow cooker - steamed puddings, cakes, jams, sauces, and loads of risotto recipes.

I haven't tried any but here is one

Leek and Ham Risotto
Serves 4

Fry 1 chopped onion and 4 sliced leeks in a frying pan. Ad 10oz arborio rice and continue stirring for about 1 minute. Stir on 750ml stock and transfer to slow cooker. Cover for cook on high for 30 mins. Chop 8oz cooked ham and add to rice with 6oz peas (thawed if frozen). Cook on low for 1 hour. Season and serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

I don't think you could put a risotto or pasta dish on in the morning and leave it till you get in from work because they don't take much cooking but they can def be done in the slow cooker.

I won't give you the recipe for the lemon drizzle cake though!

The book I've used most is SC curry and spice dishes by Carolyn Humphries. She does a series, but some of the recipes are repeated. It's cheap on Amazon.

Back