Rocking the right way to a healthier lifestyle

moshermum

Hello Everyone

I am new :sign0144: so I thought I would start my diary with a little introduction and history. I like to think of myself as a rock chick but actually I'm a bit of a OAP (Overweight, Aging, Punk) I have yo-yoed throughout my life, and have done every fad diet going. I have never actually done SW or WW. I have done my own calorie controlled diets (where I starved) and I have done Lighter Life (losing 7 and a half stone) and most recently I started Exante - again where I starved. All of these starvation diets have brought me good results in super quick time, however eventually I revert to my old ways and put the weight back on. I don't really understand food, nutrition, or balance. I have never really been that interested in that side of it. My interest in food has usually been how much high sugar / carbs I can consume!

I did really well on Exante - 4 weeks and 19lbs lost, but unfortunately it has really upset my stomach and as much as I would like to continue with it, I need to stop. So I thought I would give 'doing it properly' a go and see if I can actually learn to manage food and loss weight. So here I am.
I am not going to a group, although I have signed up to 3 months online membership just while I get myself going. I will review it after that. I am looking forward to getting help on here, as I think I will really need it when the scales dont move as fast as I would like.

I will use this as a food diary too, so I can see what I am eating and if I go wrong anywhere.

Thank you for letting me join in

MM x

Hiya moshermum,
I hope you enjoy all the lovely food you can eat with Slimming World, you don't need to feel you are on a diet. I tried all sorts of crazy weight loss diets before SW and this was the only thing that's worked xx

hi Moshermum, good luck on slimming world - it's slower but soooooo much better than exante :)

Thanks, I am working my way through reading peoples diaries and the recipes, I will be planning what to eat each week so that I don't fall off the plan. I'm not sure how I will do this first week given that I have just stopped Exante ..... half expecting a gain, but we will see.

there is so much advice and info on here, so I'm sure it will really help.

Hi, well done on the weight loss so far! :)

Slimming world is much easier to stick to that other diets I think. It really doesn't feel like much of a diet. I eat loads, mainly fruit and veg now. I still allow myself chocolate every day, had a few binges in the first couple of weeks but now I actually feel satisfied with just having 1 jaffa cake. I'd hate to go back to the way I was before, I feel much healthier now.

Good luck with your first week :)

Day 1 SW
Having just finished Exante, I cant believe how much food I can eat on this. In fact I feel like I am doing it wrong as I cant fit everything in!!

Today I have had
Breakfast - Bacon, eggs, mushrooms & tomatoes all cooked without any oil or fat - I added some balsamic vinegar to the pan and this gave some lovely flavours. Felt really full up after this. - all Free foods. Banana & a Pear - snacks in afternoon - Free food. Dinner - Salad (lettuce, red pepper, carrot) and smoked mackerel with black peppercorns (inc 2 syns). Strawberries & Grapes. Little Dairy milk bar (5.5 syns)

So if I am doing this right - I havent had my 2 Healthy Extras (I will tomorrow, but cant fit them in today) and have had 7.5 syns.

I know I didn't get organised first thing about what I was going to eat, and my shopping arrives tomorrow, so I should be able to plan my menu better.

I think I am going to like this SW:drool:

Day 2 SW
I am still getting used to eating all the food! Or maybe its just that I'm eating properly rather than eating rubbish. I was thinking about why I could cope so well with the VLCDs like LL and Exante for so long and not feel tempted to cheat. The thing with those diets are that if you cheat you run the risk of coming out of Ketosis which results in feeling hungry. So I didn't want to risk that so I never cheated once. So I am wondering if I can use the same psychology on SW - there is no reason to get hungry with all the free food choice, so there is no need to go beyond the syn levels. Its worth a try anyway, as I went 8 months on LL where not 1 bit of food touched my lips, so surely I can do SW where I can eat within boundaries.

The only jeopardy is the rate of weight loss, with a VLCD I was guaranteed roughly 14lbs a month. Now I know I wont get that with SW, but if I can do 8lbs a month then I'll be happy. So that will be the challenge, to keep going even when the losses are less than I want. I guess this will be where I will need to review my food diary. So here's todays;

Todays Food
Breakfast
2 boiled Eggs with soldiers (Hex B - 2 Wholemeal bread)
Banana
Lunch
Little Gem lettuce leaf - Ham - Laughing Cow Light Triangles (Hex A)
Strawberry & Grapes
Dinner
Chicken, Roast Potato, Stuffing, Broccoli, Cauliflower,leeks & Gravy - 5 syns
Fruit for dessert

I plan to have some chocolate before bed, which will be 5.5 syns - so that brings the total to 10 for today.

I can do this, just anxious to see the results.

I know what you mean about the length of time it might take when compared with a VLCD. In saying that, the exante losses do slow down. When I was doing it the last time, during my 3rd month on exante they had slowed to 2/3lb per week losses which is achievable on any diet.

When I was considering slimming world I came across this girls blog - Greetings from Dietville (just so you know, I don't know her at all, I just happened upon the blog and started reading it one day) and found it such an inspiration. I think between Jan 2012 and Jan 2013 she'd lost 85lbs - just over 6 stone in a year! She's got loads of recipe ideas and it's good to read about someone who has to juggle things like having a family and work whilst doing the diet, she's had slip ups and times when she's planned to flexi syn and still managed to lose all that weight. Ok she's still going at it but that's still an amazing achievement. I feel like after seeing her diary I've accepted that this is going to take me around 2 years to get to my target weight and I'm ok with that. I've done VLCDs before and yes I lost loads but it didn't teach me to eat like a normal person, it didn't teach me good habits and coming off it seemed to result in ongoing binge cycles that lasted over a year before I could get my head around trying it again. If it takes 2 years to lose all my weight and learn that lesson then fair enough, that's what it takes. I think being comfortable with the idea that it will take time is the key to sticking it out - it took time to get to this weight and it will take time to lose it all. You can do it :)

Lorrs, I will have a look at that blog, I think its amazing when people have lost so much weight by doing it the right way. I dont mind if it takes me a while, I just want to stop all this up and down.... especially as my up's are so extreme. Its not like I'm putting on a stone or two, its putting on 5 or 6 and that just isn't how I want to live. Like you I want to learn how to eat properly and also work out how to moderate my indulgences. Learn some self control, and yes it might take a while.

Thanks for the support, yes I think I can do this - with some help from a few friends :)

Day 3
I am loving this diet, but I still feel like I am eating too much, I cant quite get my head around how this works. Still as long as come Saturday, I lose weight then all will be good. Its been a lovely day today, finally feel like spring is arriving. I should have been studying today as I am a little bit behind on my module, but the sun was shining and I had sanded the garden furniture over the weekend, so i wanted to get it finished. So I spent this morning painting / varnishing the table and chairs. It looks very nice. In fact my garden is looking very nice, over the past couple of weeks I have scrubbed the decking and then oiled it. Scrubbed the patio, and painted all the fences. Then I dug all the borders. It was exhausting, but I'm happy its done. When the weather settles, I'll plant up some pots, to bring some colour.

Today's Food
Breakfast
35g Dorset Cereals Simply Nutty Muesli & 1/2 Milk allowance - HEx A & B
Banana
Lunch
Egg, Chicken & Ham Salad, Apple & Pear
Dinner
Steak, SW Chips, mushrooms, Salad - Mixed berries for dessert
Snacks
Little bar of Dairy Milk - 5.5 syns

I may use a few more syns before bed, although right now I'm pretty full up!

Day 4
I have had a hungry day, although I have still stayed 100%. I went out this evening to a meeting and resisted cake, so I am pretty pleased with myself. Its been a lovely day and after shopping in Tesco I sat in the garden to progress with my study. Feeling good and looking forward to seeing what results I get.

Todays food
Breakfast
35g Dorset Cereals Simply Nutty Muesli & 1/2 Milk allowance - HEx A & B
Banana
Lunch
Ham Salad and new potatoes, Apple & Pear, amd Muller Light
Dinner
Spag Boll followed by Mixed berries with a 10cal jelly (1/2 syn)
Snacks
Little bar of Dairy Milk - 5.5 syns
Alpen Light bar 3 syns

Total syns =9

Good day considering how hungry I was feeling

Back