Roosters diary - 3rd time lucky?

Roosters

Silver Member
:wave_cry:

Oh god, I've started a diary .. it can only mean I'm taking losing weight seriously again!

Well, I'm afraid my story so far is not an uncommon one! I'm back to minimins after losing weight on Cambridge, putting it back on, losing weight on Cambridge, and putting it back on, and now I'm heavier than ever. :eek:

So, I'm right back at the beginning (again) *sigh* on the long slow rode to the magic slimdom.

I've decided this time to go for a low fat, low carb, low calorie diet. I've also just spent £199 :eek: on a new exercise bike, that should be delivered in 3 weeks. ( I want it now!)

The reason I've chosen not to try Cambridge again, is because although I know I can ss and lose weight relatively quickly, both times I've tried I've struggled to get back into 'normal' food. I think I must've been in the mindset that I drink these shakes for a few months, and then get back to being myself again! and of course it doesn't work like that.

So this time, my diet and exercise plan is for life! I'm changing everything! I'm really having a good look at myself and trying to figure out what I want out of life. At the moment my life revolves around my 3 year old daughter, who is amazing and spending time with her and watching her grow these past 3 years has been the most rewarding and wonderful time of my life. How ever it seems to have been also my most self destructive, hmm, maybe that's a bit harsh, but I certainly seemed to have lost my way as a person. I simply am not the happy confident woman I was before I had my daughter - and I think that a lot of factors have contributed to that. My weight certainly has been a major factor.

I turned 28 this year and a couple of things have been weighing on my mind, I don't want to be fat and 30, I don't want to be 'my child's mummy' and nothing else at 30, and I don't want to be who I am now, when it's time to go to the school gates and meet my darling daughter from school.

I hit rock bottom last week whilst on Holiday in centreparcs. The hottest week of the year and everyone we were with headed for the pool, as did my little family unit, (partner and daughter) it was a big event for us as it was dd's FIRST swim - so there she was, arm bands, little body float, and the cutest swimming costume - and you can guess where I was? sitting way back by the side of the pool watching trying to hold the tears back. I would say that's the nearest to heart broken I've ever been.

I promised myself that this time next year we would take her back to centreparcs and I would go swimming with her.

So I'm on day 4 now, and I'm feeling ok.

In a weeks time I'll be going to see my gp so ask about xenical as I think it might be worth a try.

Hello roosters, just want to wish you all the luck in the world in getting the weight off and reaching a place where you feel happy in yourself.

Your 3 year old must be a wonderful incentive to lose weight and get healthier - and you're still so young. Within no time at all you'll be joining the ranks of the yummy mummies! ;)

Sounds like you've made the major breakthrough and dumped the short term dieting mindset. It's for life this time, right? And you know it has to be sustainable and bearable for you. All I'd say is don't go mad cutting back on the carbs too much - they really do help you feel full (and sane!) and give your body a lot of nutrients and fibre and energy. I don't think a very low carb diet is sustainable in the long term, so don't fall into that trap again.

Just take it slow and steady and be kind yourself - it's for life, so you have all the time in the world, right? You can do it and you *will* do it, for you and for your daughter.

Look forward to reading about your progress. Good luck! :)

Hello there Iris! and thank-you for your post and lovely words of encouragement!

I think you're totally right, I really ought not to cut back on the carbs as the food that I am eating now, is the food that I intend to eat for the rest of my life! all be it that when I reach goal I will eat slightly more of them! :p So I've added some more carbs into the mix in the form of nimble, ryvita and root veg.

Well the end of today marks one full week on my diet! and I had a sneeky peek at the scales this morning and surprisingly it looks like i've lost 10lbs already! :D I know that a lot of this will be water and getting rid of all the stodgy food that I'd eaten previously! but still, it looks great watching the scales move down!

So far, this week has been genuinely easy peasy! I've enjoyed my food immensely and I think I've just scratched the surface of what 'healthy' food I can eat. I plan to have a stroll round the supermarket and do some label reading - but at the moment I'm loving quorn sausages, dry fried mushrooms and plum tomatoes! yum.

My Exercise bike is currently being built by my oh, so tonight the exercise begins!

10lbs? That's an incredible loss, well done you!! I really do love the sound of your eating plan and your attitude to it - it's all a tasty adventure, really, after all, there's so many delicious healthy foods to be nibbled out there, just a question of sniffing them out. No need to ever feel too deprived!

If you can incorporate some exercise a few times a week I'm sure you'll see amazing results in good time... I admire anyone who has the discipline for regular exercise, I never do any because I'm basically a slob! :p

Good luck for this week and keep updating on your progress!

I've had to amend my weight loss! it teaches me to have a sneaky peak before my official 'weigh day'. So it's 7lb this week - which I'm still extreemly pleased with. (I think that I may have been dehydrated when I weighed 3lb less)

So tonight has been the second night on the exercise bike, yesterday I did 10k which took just over 20 minutes. Tonight I did 11k and again, about 20 minutes. :D

Diet wise, things are going great! I'm loving the food I'm eating and as of this morning I've started to notice that I'm starting to feel better in myself, I definitely feel less sluggish, I feel less bloated and generally feel like I've got a bit of a spring in my step.

The only thing that is negative it how much I think about dieting at the moment! all of the thoughts are positive, well most of them! sometimes I get this nagging feeling that it's going to take such a long time to get to my goal! I'm hoping it's just because the diet is still very new to me, and in time it will just become a habit. (I know my other half desperatly wants this to be true as I think I'm driving him mad with what he calls 'Diet blah blah')

So I've been giving some thought to what my mini goals should be and I've decided my first one is to get to 16 stones. I've got a lot of clothes that fit me when I'm about that weight, so it's a nice little mile stone I think. :D:D

Comedy moment this morning..

I asked my OH to hide the scales last night, he was just drifting off to sleep when I asked him so I was unsure whether he would remember..

Got out of bed this morning, into the bathroom and ... he'd remembered! panic ensued and I frantically spent 5 minutes searching for them.. then I realised what I was doing, composed myself and retreated downstairs.

:eek:

After yesterday mornings initial get up and go, by afternoon it had got up and gone and I felt so sleepy!

I drank lots of water, ate a good healthy low cal, low fat din dins then hopped on the exercise bike. I was hoping to go 12km's as I'm trying to increase by a km a day but decided to push myself a bit further and went to 15kms :D

I was exhausted! but felt great if you know what I mean! the only thing is I'm not sure riding in the evening is such a good idea as it took me AGES to get to sleep!

Dr's this afternoon, going to talk about xenical - very nervous!

Well dr's appt didn't go as well as planned and I haven't been prescribed xenical. I am showing signs of suffering from depression so that's going to be looked at in some more detail in a couple of weeks.

Feeling awful today, had some worrying post! our tax credits are under enquiry which shouldn't be a problem we've only given them correct info but still, it feels strange being under investigation.

We're in a fair bit of debt and we're struggling to juggle bills etc and sometimes it's such a crushing weight on my mind.

totally fed up :cry:

Oh heck, wish I could give you a big hug. Financial worries can just eat away at your mind. Try not to worry regarding the credits - just some bureaucratic jobsworth ticking the boxes and wasting paper, as usual. It takes them months to just lick a stamp, so let them get on with it, you've done nothing wrong so it'll all work out okay!

About the possible depression - best to catch it if the signs are there, so it's good news the doctor is on the ball. It can just creep up on you and make even the tiniest things much more difficult than they need to be.

Well done on the great exercise efforts! They do say that exercise is a natural mood booster, so maybe hopping on that bike will help a little bit with the stress. Try not to worry yourself sick, just take it all one day and one issue at a time. Better times ahead I hope!

Hey Roosters, good to see you back hun.

Its good that the doctors have seen signs of depression hun, it means that if you are a little under the weather then things can be turned round to help you out.

My GP wouldnt prescribe xenicol either so you arent the only one, she just wouldnt budge.

Is it a random check with WFTC?? Youll be fine, I know the odd people who have had checks and had no problem, its always a worry I know but what will be will be hun, and try not to let it stress you out x

Thanks for your kind words Iris and Vicky xx

I'm feeling more relaxed over the wft enquiry now, I've read up on it and mid July seems to be the time they issue all these random checks and I know that all my information is accurate. Just one final debt to sort out and then we're ok, but it's one of the important ones (council tax eeek) so it desperately needs sorting out!

As for the depression, yes, you're totally right ladies - it's a positive thing that the dr has spotted signs of it as it can now be dealt with, and Iris I didn't know exercise was a mood booster! even more reason to keep it up!

Well it's been a good weekend all in all, we got up early on Sat and decided to take the small person out for the day. Foodwise I packed myself a little healthy lunch to take with me, but in all honestly - part of the fun of going out for the day is a lunch in a cafe, so it was with a heavy heart that I packed my ryvitas! So I started to think that I shouldn't look at a day out as an opportunity to eat nice food in a cafe, but then I thought.. actually, why the hell not? I cook 3 meals a day for 3 people, sometime we all have different things so if 1 meal a week I let someone else do the work then why not? after all, just because I'm eating out, it doesn't mean it has to be unhealthy. So I took my pack lunch as a stand by, but decided to eat in the cafe, and I'm so pleased I did!! I opted for a bowl of vegetable soup and it was amazing! I've had a lot of soup before but this was beautiful, slightly spicy, obviously tomato based and very filling. I have no idea of the calories involved, but I'm taking an educated guess at aroud 250 - 300, but all vegetable calories which is fab.

Back home for about 4pm and I jumped on the bike and cycled 15km again!

Then it was off to a barn?! of all places to watch my brother to a charity gig - there was a hogroast! and I did partake, but only in a small amount of the pork with a little iceburg lettuce, a strange combo but was divine!

So I managed a day out, a night out, ate Wondrously lovely food and all for a mere 1200 calories!

So I'm convincing myself more and more that slow is the way to go diet wise. BUT it does feel like I'm waging war with myself a lot of the time! my head KNOWS that this is the best way for me to diet, lots of healthy food, a calorie controlled diet, and one that I can incorporate into the rest of my life! But there's this part of me that dreads the length of time it's going to take me just to even look a little bit smaller than I am now.

Another nagging thought I get is 'I'm enjoying this, it can't be true that I'm losing weight' and I genuinely think that it can't be possible that i'm losing weight, after all - I don't feel hungry!

I've decided I'm not going to weigh myself - the weekly battle of 'why have I only lost 1lb' is to exhausting and I just want to avoid it completely. It does worry me slightly that I'm not checking on my progress - but I just need to have some faith, after all its not rocket science - The amount of calories it takes to run my body is more than the amount I am eating.

I've been thinking of ways to put my mind at ease re the 'eating to lose weight' issue that I can't get my head around. Perhaps it's because I've done Cambridge twice and the mentality that you don't eat if you want to lose weight won't go away!

I've decided to do a mock up of a days eating on myfitnesspal and see how many cals and how much fat the old me used to eat in a day.

Total:
3,261 245 151 119

calories, carbs, fat, protein.

There we have it, a rough estimate of what I consumed a day pre diet. This isn't including foods that I may have nibbled on that I wasn't aware of, eg, finishing off Evies tea or a biscuit here and there.

Total: 966 88 17 60

And Yesterdays food Calories, carbs, fat protein

Ahh - I'm glad I did that! it puts things in perspective a bit! it also made me realise that I need to add another snack somewhere in the day as I've not got enough cals there!

The fats a little high for yesterday, but I had some oily fish - and as that's a 'good' fat I don't mind.

Oh Roosters, where for art thou

Hi roosters I was just reading your diary and Im jealous - you sound in such a good place diet wise and how brave to ditch the scales!! In fact you have inspired me to do the same!

Back