Ruby's Syn Free Diane Steak Sauce

Syn Free Diane Style Steak Sauce

Whilst no one will be fooled that its full of cream, this diane style sauce is more delicious than I expected! I used lots of veg which gave me a very thick filling sauce. You could get a thinner, more saucy consistency by using less veg, or adding more stock/water.

Make your sauce in your steak pan whilst the meat is resting. Thats why its important to chop/slice your veg very finely. You want the sauce to cook in the time it take your meat to rest. Any longer and you have lovely sauce on cold steak, and no one wants that!

I always make my steak sauce in the pan I’ve cooked my steak in. The blackened bits on your pan have got loads of meaty flavour and give great colour. Thank Jamie Oliver for that little tip! You can judge for yourself if you need the oxo for extra colour and flavour, but as they’re free, I say go for it!

Makes one generous portion

Ingredients:

one small red onion, very finely chopped
4 chesnut mushrooms very finely sliced
1 clove of garlic, very finely chopped
8.5ml brandy (optional- 1 syn)
about a quarter of a beef oxo cube dissolved in 30ml of water (oxo optional)
2 big dollops of fat free natural yoghurt
sea salt and black pepper

Method:

Carefully spray some extra fry light in your still hot steak pan

Add the onions and keep them moving so that they soften but dont brown too much (they will look brown but this if from your meat juices left in the pan- just watch out for the edges singeing!)

Once softened add the mushroom and garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes or so until the mushrooms have softened nicely too

Add your brandy, if using, and let it sizzle away

Once your pan is almost dry add the stock, if using, or water. Turn the heat right up and let it reduce by about half

Take the pan off the heat and add your yoghurt until you get the desired colour and consistency. I used 2 big dollops

Return to the heat, stirring continuously until the youghurt is hot enough.

Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Serve over your steaks and enjoy!

Back