Rude Call Centre staff

I do see both sides as I have worked in call centres,and I do know that pressure can be put on with regards to targets etc, but my point in the beginning was really how common manners has gone out of the window for some companies. I think what got to me the most was that the caller was representing BT and he hung up on me, who was being polite. I got a call the other day from a debt company looking for someone who has never lived at my address. He hung up when I was trying to explain that I was registered with the TPS. I called the number back and unusually it did accept incoming calls, the girl was lovely and took my details to make sure my name was taken from their calling list. I am never rude on the phone to anyone and expect a basic level of manners in return......maybe that is too much for some companies.;)
I do try and note the name of the person I am dealing with so I can thank them at the end of my call and if service has been particularly good I will even e-mail the company to say how pleased I was with the service. I suppose I was brought up to treat others as I would like to be treated.

. I suppose I was brought up to treat others as I would like to be treated.[/QUOTE said:
Me too - but when someone calls my house, wakes me up, will not take 3 polite "no" responses - then procedes to talk to me as if I am stupid because I do not want their product - I tend to lose the plot :p

I work in a call centre which gives out public transport information I have worked here for 2 1/2 years & I get sworn at most days. I have been told by someone who claimed to be a doc who said to me that he hoped my family died if they ever needed medical care as his bus was late & I have been threaten with violence when a bloke said he was going to come down to our offices & wait for me to finish work.

I am always nice to call centre people

I wouldn't be rude to anyone on the phone - when I was working I had to deal with the general public on the phone and I know what it is like to be on the receiving end!!

But if someone calls me, and I didn't ask them to, then I don't feel under any obligation to talk to them. They have a scripted answer for anything I might say, but they have never been told how to deal with silence.

I work in a call centre which gives out public transport information I have worked here for 2 1/2 years & I get sworn at most days. I have been told by someone who claimed to be a doc who said to me that he hoped my family died if they ever needed medical care as his bus was late & I have been threaten with violence when a bloke said he was going to come down to our offices & wait for me to finish work.

I am always nice to call centre people

That is awful. I don't know how you put up with it. :(

I wouldn't be rude to anyone on the phone - when I was working I had to deal with the general public on the phone and I know what it is like to be on the receiving end!!

But if someone calls me, and I didn't ask them to, then I don't feel under any obligation to talk to them. They have a scripted answer for anything I might say, but they have never been told how to deal with silence.

I used to work in a call centre too so I do know where you're coming from - if they just won't shut up then I'll just hang up but if they are rude to me then I give as good as I get ;) .... if someone is going to essentially come into my home, uninvited whilst I am trying to sleep and then add insult to injury by being nasty and rude..................

xx

That is awful. I don't know how you put up with it. :(

I used to work in a call centre too so I do know where you're coming from - if they just won't shut up then I'll just hang up but if they are rude to me then I give as good as I get ;) .... if someone is going to essentially come into my home, uninvited whilst I am trying to sleep and then add insult to injury by being nasty and rude..................

xx

The end call button in my friend too :D

We get all sorts of threats to- i work for a courier company and the other day a customer was out when the driver attempted delivery and because my colleague advised it wouldn't go back out for delivery until the following day, or he could collect it from the depot that evening, the customer said he was going to put a bomb under the drivers van- and the idiot put it in writing too! a bloke also did turn up at work after speaking to one of the girls at work and she coldn't tell him what he wanted to hear. nutters.

I work in a shop and it so annoys me when people give bad customer service. I have to bite my tongue all the time with customers but wouldn't dream of showing in my tone how annoyed I am with them esp because I hope alot of them don't relise what they are doing.
We used to get alot of sales calls in our old house (we get none here we are ex dicterory, was there but the person who had our number before us wasn't who by some oddness was my hubsands uncle) before we registar with that site. then they went to almost none. The ones we did get I usually just said can you please remove us from your list if they carried on I usally told them it was illegel to contact us and that normally worked. before though with the ones that wouldn't take no for a answer we had some right fun pretending to be mad and seeing what crazy things we could tell them, like I don't like mobile phones they are bad for your healthy do you not watch the news you really shouldn't be using them you know they fry your brains, one bloke just went oh bye another just hung up it was so funny, we only ever did this to people who wouldn't take no for a answer.
I can understnad call staff have numbers to meet but theres no point pestering people its not like after the 7th time of saying no they are gonna say oh ok go on then I will magic the money from somewhere.
one thing that gets to me about call staff is when they act like they are better than you and not understanding. this is when I usually hang up and talk to someone else before I get mad.

Last edited:
Ahh, Sales callers are the baine of my life.. well just the one company really. For the most part im pretty polite via the phone If its a company who hasnt rang before but one insurance company is drove our house crazy..no matter how many times we requested to them to take off us their list (which they then said 'Ok we have removed you..etc etc) they continued to call and say that we expressed interest in their services on the last call. I know each unique person doesnt know whats happened in the past but I cant help getting annoyed they repetively lie to us... I would usually just ignore their number but they used to call up to 4-5 times within an morning/afternoon on some days. Luckily it seems I finally got through to them the last time we spoke and they've not called for a week.. Seriously liking the sound of that registration thing!

This is why I left working with the public & now only work in an office which does not deal with the general public, my last shop job was at Blockbuster & the last straw was when a customer grabbed me by the throat over a 50p fine!!!! Luckily for me a regular customer (nice guy) was behind him & he is a bodybuilder, the guy left the shop pretty quickly!

I am registered with TPS too but we do still get calls, apparently this is becuse TPS don't regulate the foreign call centres so some will always still get through. I always try to be polite to them but if they are too rude or pushy then I will hang up. The worst were RBS, they kept calling me but they wanted me to give them my security details, I refused to do it & the guy was so nasty to me about it, eventually it did all get sorted out by me phoning them but the banks advise never to give security details over the phone so I was only doing what they said!

The worst were RBS, they kept calling me but they wanted me to give them my security details, I refused to do it & the guy was so nasty to me about it, eventually it did all get sorted out by me phoning them but the banks advise never to give security details over the phone so I was only doing what they said!

Oh and the guy that was nasty?? He phoned me back 6 times in the hour that followed.....he stopped calling me at 9.45pm....honestly I was SO mad at them.

Back