saggy baggy skin = inevitable?

That's the spirit and when you are slimmer you will feel like a totally new world has opened up to you.

When it comes down to it we only come this way once and therefore we owe it to ourselves to enjoy our one life to the absolute maximum so why spend it unhappy and miserable? If we can change it so that we live it to the full, then gawd knows why it sometimes takes a whole lifetime for us to learn this most valuable lesson? If I can pass on any lessons I have learnt throughout my lifelong battle with my own weight, especially young girls such as yourself then my main tip would be to stop seeing food as either your friend or your enemy. A little of what you fancy in moderation is ok but just don't overdo it and set yourself personal limits like your favourite takeaway on a saturday night or a bar of chocolate now and again and when you have such things enjoy them with a clear conscience and please don't feel riddled with guilt and go on a huge eating binge for the next few days! That is the kind of silly thing I used to do as I felt I was wrong to have any of the so called 'forbidden' foods and if I did, I would take the attitude of "oh I've done it now so what's the point?" and then I would totally lose control! This time I know whatever I do has got to be a total lifestyle and attitude change and since working on these areas I have found I have a completely new and healthier approach to losing weight and I don't care how long it takes me as I am not in a race and I will get there eventually I just know I will!

Good luck!

Sue

Yeah, Ive Cut Out ALL The Food I Like :( But When Ive Lost 10 Kgs, Im Going To Allow Myself It For Dinner :)
But Ive Had Quite Good Control Which Is Really Goood!!!

That Is So Very True. Ive Just No Long Turned 19. Yes Im Losing Weight, So I Can Be Happy And Thin, But The Worst Thing Is, There Is A Shop Over Here In NZ Called Supre. It Goes To L.. Which Is Really Like A 10. All My Friends Go There And Shop And Its So Guttering When I Know I Cant Fit

Putting yourself under pressure hunni is setting yourself up for failure! why you bothered about being a 10 for? being healthy is more important, i know looking good is paramount to women today but being healthy is more so.
Being thin wont make you happy, you are hiding in your body and loosing weight your going to have to build your confidense up because you will no longer be able to hide i your 'fat' suit.

I think a shop which labels size 10 as 'large' should be closed down. Boycott it. Size fascists! Not everyone is built to be a size 10, that's just ridiculous.

That's the spirit and when you are slimmer you will feel like a totally new world has opened up to you.

When it comes down to it we only come this way once and therefore we owe it to ourselves to enjoy our one life to the absolute maximum so why spend it unhappy and miserable? If we can change it so that we live it to the full, then gawd knows why it sometimes takes a whole lifetime for us to learn this most valuable lesson? If I can pass on any lessons I have learnt throughout my lifelong battle with my own weight, especially young girls such as yourself then my main tip would be to stop seeing food as either your friend or your enemy. A little of what you fancy in moderation is ok but just don't overdo it and set yourself personal limits like your favourite takeaway on a saturday night or a bar of chocolate now and again and when you have such things enjoy them with a clear conscience and please don't feel riddled with guilt and go on a huge eating binge for the next few days! That is the kind of silly thing I used to do as I felt I was wrong to have any of the so called 'forbidden' foods and if I did, I would take the attitude of "oh I've done it now so what's the point?" and then I would totally lose control! This time I know whatever I do has got to be a total lifestyle and attitude change and since working on these areas I have found I have a completely new and healthier approach to losing weight and I don't care how long it takes me as I am not in a race and I will get there eventually I just know I will!

Good luck!

Sue

What a great post!

I've read this thread with interest. I know from past experience that I will have a saggy (saddle) tum.

For me the priority is to shift weight but to restrict the saddle tum if possible. I moisturise regularly to attempt to retain the elasticity of my skin. Will it work? I don't know but I'm giving it my best shot. I would prefer to take this action now, than to have to tackle it once I've reached goal.

I've started using a firming lotion twice a day to try and minimise the problem. It smells really nice so I'm actually kind of enjoying it!

Also it feels nice to think I'm taking care of the way I look!

I think a shop which labels size 10 as 'large' should be closed down. Boycott it. Size fascists! Not everyone is built to be a size 10, that's just ridiculous.

I totally agree and it's ridiculous to the point of madness if you ask me.

I think the only thing we as individuals can do is ignore such pressures and labels and concentrate on becoming happy within our own skins and do our best to ignore the media influences that try to dictate how we should all look. Celebrate your individuality and do everything you can to lose weight if you have a weight problem, always ensure you endeavour to live a healthy lifestyle and in my opinion that is the true recipe for happiness, health and contentment and any other message pressurising you to become stick thin is utter nonsense.:rolleyes:

Sue

Sooh - I have really enjoyed reading your posts in this thread. You make a heck of a lot of sense. Thank you!

My weight loss journey is over, but not the stabilisation one - that's a lifetime "battle"... but yes I do have some surplus skin but, as someone said higher up in the thread, it's so not an issue compared to how I used to be at 22 stone when even walking 100m made my thighs rub together and made my face red. Now I'm energetic, sleep far less, and so the inconvenience at having a bit of excess skin here and there is well worth it. The younger among you mightn't even have this as skin is more elastic at a younger age, and mine had been well stretched.

I wish you all the best, and particularly to Sooh who has given me more food for thought tonight than she realises.

Hi Maintainer,

I am glad my post has been beneficial to you and it makes me happy to think I can help others.:)

Wow! What a wonderful achievement for you and to have lost so much weight is fantastic - I bet a whole new world has opened up for you? I hope one day to be able to tell the same story as you and I long for the day I too can walk down the street with ease.

Like you say it is stabilising that is the real battle isn't it and once we learn that lesson I think we have finally found the answer to our problem? However, it looks to me like you are doing an excellent job of that too and I applaud you for such determination and your achievment is a real inspiration especially to someone like myself, who has an awful lot of weight to lose!

I believe now after failing more times that I care to remember that the key to getting my weight off and keeping it off is to NOT see food as a bad thing like I have always done in the past and to learn that providing we are sensible we can all enjoy a varied diet where nothing is actually forbidden! Obviously, high calorie and heavily fat laden meals are best kept to a minimum or for special ocassions only but to ban them from our list altogether is rather silly and will only make us crave them even more! Why risk that I say and so if someone fancies a piece of chocolate have it but only if they can enjoy it without any guilt or shame! Plus if you do have a bad day or a bad week etc then instead of thinking "that's it now, i've blown it" just put it down to one of those things that we 'normal' humans do from time to time and just get back on track asap! Any damage done can soon be undone and in my eyes the best thing we can do for ourselves is to completely forget about it and move on!

I am putting all this into practice now and it is working and I am buzzing with the excitement of it all. I feel free and liberated and in total control for the first time in my life and it feels wonderful and if my new approach can rub off onto others battling with their weight too then It will give me immense joy to be able to help them too.

Sue x

Thank you again Sooh - although I've won a "battle", the "war" continues, and I'm afraid that I chose to sort the weight out before sorting the "head stuff" out... whereas you obviously are doing them simultaneously which is DEFINITELY the way to go.

For now, stabilisation for me involves a lot of deprivation and not being able to do as you are so rightly suggesting as it can still send me off onto a binge if I have "some" of the trigger food. "None" is easy. "Some" is harder (for me). But I'm working on it...

Unfortunately having a bit of what I fancied somewhat too often is what got me to 22 stone in the first place, so I simply dare not try that method again... I am no longer "dieting", but do have to watch it closely... I shall keep an eye on this thread and should you ever Sooh require some support, feel free to message me.

I must admit that that's one thing I worry about, Getting to goal and thinking 'phew, I've done it, now I can relax!' cus i know that will see all the weight going back on. But I have a long way to go before I have to think about that yet

Hi Joanne,

I know exactly what you mean about the 'head' thing as that is exactly how I have ended up reaching over 24 stones! To be honest I think it is not something you can just make happen and it kind of just 'clicks' if that makes any sense and somehow this time I just feel like I have turned the biggest corner!

The 'having a bit of what you fancy' suggestion is something that I too have had major mental problems with in the past and many a time the fact that I have eaten something that I and many other fellow 'dieters' consider 'forbidden' foods has seen me consumed with guilt and shame and consequently has sent me completely off the rails and just led me to going on some major binges. Because I viewed such foods as a huge sin I adopted the attitude of "what's the point, I am just a failure and destined to be fat?" I have yo yo'd up and down the scales for years and every time I have ended up putting any weight lost all back on plus more besides.

I think what has done it for me is knowing that I just had to find a solution as I just could not continue with the same old success followed by failure and despite losing weight I was not really learning any real lessons and my whole life revolved around food and what I should or should not eat etc.

May I ask you to be kinder to yourself and celebrate what you have achieved and can I also ask you to please try and allow yourself just one small treat once a week and when you have that one treat please promise me that you will savour and enjoy it and then forget about it? Don't feel guilty and please, please don't feel that you have done something really terrible because honestly you wont have and all that will happen is that you wake up the next day and think .......... Wow, I was able to enjoy that takeaway, those glasses of wine or that bar of chocolate because I was in control and for the first time ever what I ate wasn't in control of me! Please try it and then when you have seen that you can have the odd treat and it hasn't led on to some major out of control eating binge you will begin to look at what you eat differently and realise that as long as you can retain this healthy relationship with the foods that were once your enemy, you have cracked it!

Good luck and thank you so much for kind offer of support it is very much appreciated. :)

Sue

Taz - there's absolutely no reason you would think that way if, during your weight loss journey, you have learned about healthy eating...

Sooh - my Sunday's are my "free days", so I eat absolutely anything I like those days (sometimes to excess, alas...) but at least then I do feel I have achieved something. If you look at my signature, you'll see that I actually DID stabilise (with the 80 "good" / 20 "bad" system) for about three years... but then I figured "Super Woman" could also quit smoking... and then I had a wobbly period once my crutch had been removed...

Now I'm feeling good, and confident again, but ever mindful of the pitfalls ahead... I now only own size 10 and 12 UK clothes and so cannot ever again let myself gain too much weight... there's no way I shall ever again buy larger clothes... (and I repeat that to myself regularly...).

Good luck to you all...

Last edited:
Well I have been maintaining for the last month or 2 so at least I know I can do it! Ha ha

What a great thread and what great advice from everyone. I agree with nearly everything Sue says - and if you youngsters can learn to deal with your food demons now when you are still young it will make your life so much simpler!!!! Makes me sound like an old woman - but have been struggling with my weight for the last 19 years, which is over half my life and longer than some of you have been alive!!!!

Everything in moderation sounds so easy doesn't it - but it is surprisingly difficult to stick to.

Good luck to everyone - and give the Bio-oil a go - and unfortunately exercise is one of the best ways to tone up and whther we like it or not we all need to be doing some!!!! Try it - you might like it! I've surprised myself by going to the gym and actually enjoying myself whilst firming up some saggy bits too!!

Carol x

Everything in moderation sounds so easy doesn't it - but it is surprisingly difficult to stick to.

Good luck to everyone - and give the Bio-oil a go -

I'm one of those people where abstaining is better (for now) than 'just having one' because I end up not 'just having one' but having a whole lot more. It's easier for me to say 'don't have any' than to stop when I've started.

As for Bio-oil I have quite a few stretch marks from being pregnant and unfortunately Bio-oil didn't hellp them but it did make my skin nice and soft. I have heard good things about it, it just didn't work fo rme.

Back