Saggy bits!

Sugarpuff Sophie

I've got a lot of weight to lose and I'm very determined to do it this time! I'm just worried that I'll have lots of saggy skin. I'm only 24 so I think that might help my skin a bit but should I start using firming lotions and stuff now or wait until I've lost a decent amount of weight?

I've already got some of that Soap&Glory Firminator stuff as well as a few firming things from Avon so perhaps I'd only be wasting my time not money :)

Sugarpuff Sophie said:
I've got a lot of weight to lose and I'm very determined to do it this time! I'm just worried that I'll have lots of saggy skin. I'm only 24 so I think that might help my skin a bit but should I start using firming lotions and stuff now or wait until I've lost a decent amount of weight?

They do say that no amount of creams etc can help with skin that has been stretched too much. I would suggest using a good quality moisturiser regularly now to help your skin stay in good condition, but i dont think much else can help it sorry!

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with any of them.
I've lost 9 stone 7lbs and I don't have any excess skin or dark stretch marks and I'm 35. The younger you are the better the chance that your skin will shrink back to accommodate your frame, but it takes time. Moderate exercise like swimming will definitely help.

Damn! I was hoping I'd be able to avoid exercise :) Let's just hope my skin pings back into shape

no substitute for exercise! although i wish there was! i havent got any saggy skin yet as i havent lost enough weight yet, i have started using vitamin e cream for stretch marks but apart from that im just exercising to try to minimise my excess skin! x

I am 64 and I have lost almost 3st and all I have done is get the old pushbike out and when I feel like it I go for a gentle ride around the area and I have noticed it is helping toning up the skin, also swimming or aquatone is also helpful!

Sugarpuff Sophie said:
I've already got some of that Soap&Glory Firminator stuff as well as a few firming things from Avon so perhaps I'd only be wasting my time not money :)

The firminator stuff is meant to disolve fat layers under the skin rather than 'tighten' skin which has been stretched.

As for exercise, it doesnt have to mean going for a run everyday. Just going for a walk everyday can make a difference.

I have plenty of extra skin, BUT it's not very obvious unless I put my self in weird positions (like hinge forward and then you can see the loose skin on my tummy). I have been exercising, regularly. I am 29 & lost nearly 5st, slightly disappointed I don't have Megan Fox's body but I know that it'll ping back eventually, I just keep up the exercise and hope that within a year of maintaining it'll be fine. :)

Thanks everyone. I do a bit of exercise because I use my wii and play the justdance games and also my job involves quite a bit of exercise. I was thinking of seeing if there's anyone in my street that would like a free dogwalker then I'll have motivation to walk around the park a bit more!

I noticed on holiday after moisturising every day that the surface of my skin looked soo much better, iv been home a month now and still moisturise at least every other day and my skin is almost how it was 10 years ago. It may not prevent loose skin but it deffinately appears much smoother, almost no cellulite anymore. apparently though its the rubbing in motion that is good for he skin and not the cream its self. I use 'Garnier Body Tonic Firming Hydrating Lotion' and i love it. I also do zumba, i dont know if this has helped at all.
even if it doesnt help atleast you will have lovely soft skin! :)

It won't do harm to try them even though I've not found them much help in tightening loose skin. Well hydrated skin does look better generally and I second the post about massaging cream into your body improving the sight of cellulite..
When I was 18 I went on a break up diet and lost 50 pounds.. I've got LOTS of saggy skin and stretch marks..so my age was of no help to prevent the sag..
I didn't exercise, I always moisturise and I've so many products that I put on my body at least once a day.. did so when I was losing weight and even now but I still have lots of jiggly saggy skin.
My advice would be to do tonning exercise (that uses rubber resistance and light weights and pilates).. yes walking is great especially if you're very sedentary but by itself it won't prevent say bingo wings or saggy tummy as its not enough..
Also, if you're losing weight slowly as in slimming world way you're probably got better chances that your skin will cope with the loss than if you followed a drastic quick loss diet. Good luck.. it's still worth being slimmer with saggy skin than fat, in my opinion..

In a way I am quite lucky because all of my fat gathers on my tummy so I have slim arms and legs so don't have to worry about bingo wings. I got stretchmarks when I was about 15 yrs old which were bright purple but now they're barely noticable so they don't worry me. The main thing I'm worried about is being left with an 'apron' belly!

I know what you mean, unfortunately I've got that.. I've had a baby since I lost weight, but my stomach didn't sag any more than it was when I lost weight.. I was fat allover and infact my friends used to comment how flat my stomach is.. I guess I was more broad.. and had chubby legs and arms (Well, still have those) but my stomach seriously sagged..
mind you that could be just me and my genes as many girls don't seem to get that..even after multiple pregnancies or pregnancies with twins..

Ive lost 5 stone now and I have the dreaded bingo wings ... also I dont have the saggy tummy yet but I can see it changing and pulling in .... i know i wont have the perfect body but i still feel fantastic and dont mind wearing a cardigan to hide the wings!! and will tuck my tummy into my knickers !!!

Believe me I've done some research into this subject!! I've list over 5 stone and my problem areas are tummy and arms. Youth is on your side, other things already mentioned, moisturise daily it does help, drink plenty of water, avoid too many processed foods and drinks even low fat/ cal. Resistance training ie small weights to tone muscle. Also don't lose the weight too quickly.

Back