Salad on holiday?

Hi I am going on holiday to Turkey in June self catering (which I thought would make it easier to keep an eye on those pesky syns). Me and my OH were planning on getting salads and cheese (as HEA) and plenty of fruit to eat in the apartment for during the day then having a main meal out on the night time. However my sister works for enviornmental health and says buying salads from markets and supermarkets abroad is a very high risk of food poisoning. Has anoyone suffered at the hands of a salad abroad? haha. Any ideas? I'm a vegetarian if this helps.

Personally I wouldn't worry about buying stuff in markets as you can wash them thoroughly yourself. In my experience of Turkey, it's eating in restaurants that pose the biggest risk :eek:!

This is what I usually do, and touch wood, haven't had any problems.

At least you'll know how they've been washed if you prepare them yourself.

Well id wash it myself just incase.

But tbh if it was me i wouldnt worry. Lol im on holiday, eat everything in sight. Thats the reason im at slimming world anyway. To look good in the bikini and not worry about 2 weeks of all inclusive piggyness. Then pick it back up when im back. :)

Not made to measure said:
Hi I am going on holiday to Turkey in June self catering (which I thought would make it easier to keep an eye on those pesky syns). Me and my OH were planning on getting salads and cheese (as HEA) and plenty of fruit to eat in the apartment for during the day then having a main meal out on the night time. However my sister works for enviornmental health and says buying salads from markets and supermarkets abroad is a very high risk of food poisoning. Has anoyone suffered at the hands of a salad abroad? haha. Any ideas? I'm a vegetarian if this helps.

I have been on hol abroad numerous Times to turkey spain Tunisia egypt etc ...and all inclusive and self catering i tend to eat salads when on hol and find i dont get a jippy tummy

well ive been going to turkey since i was 8 and always eat salads and a bit of anything thats going really and ive never had food poisoning. often buy fresh fruit and tomatoes and stuff from supermarket when staying self catering and never had problems. just wash it in somke bottled water and you be fine!! (mind u i never wash the tomatoes and cucumbers and things before eating them, maybe i should start lol)

im going all inclusive this year in kusadasi, usually go self catering or bed and breakfast in marmaris but fancied a change!! hopefully theres plenty of salads, chicken, fruits and rice/pastas for me to have this year. i too dont wanna come back with a half stone gain from two weeks binging!! lol but at the same time im not gonna be really strict on myself as i wont enjoy the holiday as much.

well ive been going to turkey since i was 8 and always eat salads and a bit of anything thats going really and ive never had food poisoning. often buy fresh fruit and tomatoes and stuff from supermarket when staying self catering and never had problems. just wash it in somke bottled water and you be fine!! (mind u i never wash the tomatoes and cucumbers and things before eating them, maybe i should start lol)

im going all inclusive this year in kusadasi, usually go self catering or bed and breakfast in marmaris but fancied a change!! hopefully theres plenty of salads, chicken, fruits and rice/pastas for me to have this year. i too dont wanna come back with a half stone gain from two weeks binging!! lol but at the same time im not gonna be really strict on myself as i wont enjoy the holiday as much.
the salads tend to be awesome at turkish all inclusives enjoy

im sure hoping so!! if i fill my plate with salads, chicken and pasta/rice i should be absolutely brill lol just staying away from the chips, ill have them now and again but itll be hard to resist them every day lol im sure ill be ok.
breakfasts should be good to boiled eggs meats and salads all syn free and fruits and may even find some low fat yog

hiya,love goin on hols for the food everything u want or need all laid out for u NO cooking if half/full board lost 2lb last yr on ho was over the moonl

That's great! Yeah I doubt I will lose on my hol but just not to gain anything more than a few lb would be nice. Plenty of salads and fruit for me. Thanks everyone. It's good to know no-one got ill doing this. I think sometimes environmental health can scare rather than help :-D Enjoy your hols everyone! xx

Honestly, if you listen to some people's horror stories you'd never eat anything- especially in turkey! My parents and I have been many times and they have been lots more times without me (I'm currently too skint and have been a student for a while!) and the salad's never hurt us :)

The fresh produce there tastes phenomenal, in my experience, so I'd go for it.

Honestly, if you listen to some people's horror stories you'd never eat anything- especially in turkey! My parents and I have been many times and they have been lots more times without me (I'm currently too skint and have been a student for a while!) and the salad's never hurt us :)

The fresh produce there tastes phenomenal, in my experience, so I'd go for it.

doesnt it just!! their fruit and veg is amazing, beef tomatoes...yummm!! theyre massive lol and eggs too are always brill. only thing is their dairy stuff, milk and cheese is yuk i usually stick to feta cheese over there if i have any

Rochelle1 said:

I've been to turkey all inclusive a couple of times now. The food is sooooo nice. There are lots of places you could go naughty but the healthy options are definitely there!

Back