Salads

appleaday

Basically for lunch i want to start trying to eat more salads during the week but i'm wondering how i can make salads interesting.

I love foods with lots of flavour so i'm wondering how i can eat lettuce cucumber and tomatoes and make it interesting lol

What salads do you guys make?

I think lots of beetroot makes a salad bareable.

Xx

Good question, I would like to know too! I always struggle to make them interesting and keep the calories down at the same time.

ewww i think beetroot is the only thing in the world i really dislike. lol but thanks anyway :D

Last edited:
I don't just use lettuce, cucumber etc in mine, I add things like:

Hard boiled eggs
Green Beans
Olives
Grapes/Apple
Radish
Avocado
Grilled chicken/lean ham/prawns
Sugar snap peas
Beansprouts
Cheese (small amount grated)
Sweetcorn

There's so much variety I can vary a salad quite a bit, I couldn't handle lettuce a lot during the week. I tend to use spinach leaves as I'm not a fan of lettuce much.

A fat free vinegarette with some lazy chillies added gives it a nice kick as well x

i use 1/2 tbsp of light mayo and add some water to it to make it go further and then add some cracked black pepper or galric powder to add to salads. today im having a salad with cucumber, lettuce, grated carrot, 2 chipolatas cut up (naughty me) and that mayo. i also like some cheese in a salad too :) xxx

My favourite salad at the moment is chicken and bacon sprinkled with schwartz piri piri seasoning. YUMMY!!!
I basically add a schwartz seasoning to whatever I'm putting on my salad (usually baby leaf salad leaves, cucumber, spring onions etc with chicken pieces, bacon, salmon fillet, tuna steak etc ) I find there's a lot of variety regarding the salad/greenery and that the bags of ready made mixed salads are very convenient and much more interesting and tasty than just having say lettuce and cucumber.

I normally try and vary what I have in them.

- Balsamic vinegar
- Sliced peppers
- Pickled onions.
- Seeds.
- Edame beans.
- New potatoes.

I also make a satay sauce dressing which goes really well with chicken salads. Mix 1tbs of peanut butter with 1tbs of soy sauce and 2tbs of cold water until fully blended and microwave for 40 seconds or so! If it's too thick, top up with water, if it's too thin... microwave for longer. You can also add some chilli powder in there to give it a kick. You can also use it as a marinade or dipping sauce etc.

I follow SW so dont tend to look at the calorie content much, but I keep my salads varied by adding: -

fat free cottage cheese;
extra light laughing cow cheeses (mixed together with garlic powder makes a gorgeous sauce);
butter beans;
tuna;
potatoes;
chopped apple;
pineapple chunks;
melon;
sweet potato;
boiled eggs;
homemade quiche;
savoury rice;
pasta;

Back