Sausages - advice please

~~Tracie~~

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I bought some sausages for the lads yesterday just coz it said low carb on the packet. I've started looking at ingredients and carb content since doing CD. It's always hard to find sausages with a decent meat content. Now what i'd like to know are they good sausages or bad??

Nutritional Information per 100g as sold
Energy 241Kcal
Protein 14.8g
Carbohydrate 1.0g
of which Sugars 0.5g
Fat 19.7g
of which Saturates 8.6g
Dietary Fibire 0.6g
Salt 1.3g
of which sodium 0.67g

Ingredients: Pork 90%, Soya Bean Flour, Salt, Dextrose, Spices, Herbs, Stabiliser: E451(i), Preservative: E221, Antioxidants: E300, E330, Spice Extracts, Filled into natural pork castings.

90% Prime British Pork
Glutten Free
Low Carbs
GM Free
Natural Skins

Sorry bit of a long post :eek:

It is showing as low in carbs at only 1% but high in fat at nearly 20% also high in cals ( Over half a daily SS cal allowance), So I suppose it would depend on what you mean by good or bad? How mucgh sausage do you get for 100gms... If you were maintaining say on 1000 cals... you wouldn't be able to have many sausages in your allowance.
Just out of interest our butcher (an independent) will make sausages to order and will make them with 100% lean meat... so maybe worth asking?

x

Thanks for the reply tillyfloss, theres 400g and 6 sausages in a pack, there're mainly for my little boy who will only eat chicken and the occasional sausage.

I'll ask at the local butchers in town next time i'm there. :)

If they are for your little boy and he is fit and healthy, the maybe every now and again is ok?
After all aren't we all aiming for a normal lifestyle.
I would like to think that one day I will eat a hot dog again, just not a whole pack of sausages everyday :)
My kids have mainly a vegetarian diet, but that is their choice, I am not a veggie. But I also do let them have junk food, usually one day a week, and it is always with something healthy... so if the have pizza it is with a huge salad, if it is burgers it is always with veggies, and out of cost they have chinese and indian but it is home made the healthy way. I am teaching the children to cook now and even the youngest at 6 is learning about healthy eating.
I don't want anyone of them to go through what I am going through, so sausage for your boy? Yes why not! Just make sure it makes the smallest portion of his meal and fill the rest of his meal with lot's of real goodness.

x

Last edited:
Back