Sausages

10grams of fat per sausage is not low fat - it's close to 15% by weight, way over the Dukan limit, sorry.

I did find some venison sausages in Waitrose that were under 5% fat/5% carb - and they were delicious. Sadly I haven't seen them in stock for months.

I tried to find some sausages too and bought some v expensive ones in Sainsburys that promised low fat/low carb - when I took the time to read the label - at home - I discovered that they had 15g fat in 100g!!! Low fat my ............!

I wonder why they put soft brown sugar in them!
How many did you have? well cooked, pricked etc?
You'll have to let us know at your weigh in how you got on!

My dad always made our sausages. Started with the casings, then just made as patties. Can we have ground pork? He would grind it himself, choosing a very lean cut of pork. Added typical sausage seasonings, pattied the up and fried. They were so tasty and very lead, hardly any fat draining off yet able to get a good crunch to the exterior.

Kitchen Aid mixers have a grinder attachment which he used. I'm sure they could be made with turkey or chicken, minced.

I'm really confused by this - on the Dukan site, someone asked today if they can have two sausages for breakfast and the answer was 'As long as the sausages are lean then its fine and you can have it in an unlimited amount.'

How do we know what counts as lean? And do we need to steer clear of pork sausages?

The chat answer doesn't give any indication that there are 'bad' sausages but I know that they can often be a bit vague!

:confused:

There's an allowable fat content for meat. I don't remember what, maybe 5%? There's also one for dairy and carb, sugar vs non-sugar. I'm currently sticking with all non-fat and only allowable Dukan recommendation products.

I'm sure someone more Dukan experienced will come along and post. Or else maybe a search will turn it up. Not sure if those % guidelines are in his book?

As an old school follower of the diet, where pork is not allowed (per original French book), it escapes me as to how he can now allow such things which obviously have to contain some form of "bread crumb".

Merguez sausages, the spicey beef sausages from North America, were introduced in France as tolerated ingredients (not in the book) a few years ago... the main rule was to prick them thoroughly, and cook them VERY well.

Making one's own is one solution but, as I live with a butcher and have seen him make them often, without the rusk and flavourings and fatty meat, they're not the same!

Personally, except for an isolated treat when very happy with my weight loss, I'd stay well away... up to you though ;)

I'm not doing Dukan but Scottish Slimmers do venison sausages - 33 cals each, fat 3.8g (sat fat 2.1g) per 100g. I don't know if they are available nationwide but I bought mine in Sainsburys, Edinburgh yesterday and they are really nice.

It's not sausage.. but I bought venison burgers from M&S (I think I've seen venison burgers on Ellie's diary, but I don't know if they're made or bought :) ) and the ingredients were pretty much meat & red onion.. from what I remember

Most of the venison burgers I have recently are bought ones from tesco, I used to have home made as had a constant supply of venison from a neighbour where we used to live ;)

hmm... can't be faffed to reread the French book, but no bells are tolling... (mind you, can't say that I've ever seen goat's sausages!)

rickythebutcher.co.uk advertises zero-carb sausages and burgers and delivers nationwide. Sounds yummy??

Back