Scan Bran Caramel cake

dippy dobbie

I made this and its lush. And only 9 syns for the whole cake, eat on its own or heat it up in microwave for 20 secs and top with mueller toffee yoghurt, yummy.

5 scan bran soaked in boiling water drained and mashed.
4 tbsp sweetner
2 sachets options dreamy caramel.
3 eggs

mix all the ingredients together puy in a cake tin and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins.
i have microwaved this aswell for 6 mins but i prefer to oven bake as it comes out drier, in the microwave i think it come out a little wet.

Could you use anything else instead of scan bran? Maybe something you could get from local supermarket? :)

You can buy scan bran in Morrisons and Holland and Barrett.

I couldn't find caramel options so I used weight watchers caramel hot chocolate, it works out as 1 syn more. I've also searched holland and barretts and they had no scan bran, not did out Morrisons so I got some online. Haven't tried it yet but it smells lovely!

I found the options dreamy caramel in my local morrisons, tesco"s and also sainsbury.
i was looking for the toffee options, but i contacted twinnings and they don"t make the toffee one anymore, but i think caramel one is nice,
don"t know if you can use anything instead of scan bran haven"t tried it, but if you do and it works be intersting to know.
i get scan bran from S/W class and holland and barrett.

Oh god this sounds amazing!!! So getting me some scan tomz xxx

Sent from Blondie's iPhone using MiniMins

Well ladies... The scan bran cake is cooking in the oven!!! I'm so excited haha :) Couldnt find the caramel one either so I've used belgian choc & choc fudge xxx

It smelt like choc brownie whilst cooking but I have to say I didn't like it massively :( It was ok for a sweet snack but it's not really a substitute for real cake :( Couldnt attach the poc for some reason... Try it yourself though, it will def appeal to some tastes xxx

Done it lol :) Looks nice on the pic xxx

Attachments

• image-4058351310.jpg
    image-4058351310.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,760
Sounds yummy! Am currently addicted! to the hazelnut options so gonna try it with that :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Didn't much like it:-( tried the ginger scan bran cake also, finding they taste really eggy, if there is any reciepes that don't taste eggy would be much appreciated:)

Sonia1976 said:
Didn't much like it:-( tried the ginger scan bran cake also, finding they taste really eggy, if there is any reciepes that don't taste eggy would be much appreciated:)

The thing is-if you are trying to make something cake-like then they normally will taste quite eggy as you use the egg rather than flour and fat etc! Someone in another post summed it up as expectation management. It's not going to taste like a shop bought cake however hard you try, but some people do enjoy them :)

Welshtigger said:
The thing is-if you are trying to make something cake-like then they normally will taste quite eggy as you use the egg rather than flour and fat etc! Someone in another post summed it up as expectation management. It's not going to taste like a shop bought cake however hard you try, but some people do enjoy them :)

Thank you for your reply,
Yeah I guess I knew it wouldn't taste like a cake. Think I'm giving up now lol. It's something I have to live with out. Just wanted something to take my sweet tooth away, settle for apple instead :)

Sonia1976 said:
Thank you for your reply,
Yeah I guess I knew it wouldn't taste like a cake. Think I'm giving up now lol. It's something I have to live with out. Just wanted something to take my sweet tooth away, settle for apple instead :)

There are lots of other cakey type recipes, and pudding things that you can make low syn-have a nosey round the recipe forums :) everyone's taste is different so it's just finding something that suits :) there are some lovely little cupcakes that have a bit of flour in and don't taste 'eggy' you might like them :) hope you find something :)

Just had another square of the scan bran cake that I made yesterday. It's so much nicer after being sat in the fridge over night. The cake is really moist and yummy :) and the flavour is less 'scan-branny' :)

I made this and its lush. And only 9 syns for the whole cake, eat on its own or heat it up in microwave for 20 secs and top with mueller toffee yoghurt, yummy.

5 scan bran soaked in boiling water drained and mashed.
4 tbsp sweetner
2 sachets options dreamy caramel.
3 eggs

mix all the ingredients together puy in a cake tin and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins.
i have microwaved this aswell for 6 mins but i prefer to oven bake as it comes out drier, in the microwave i think it come out a little wet.

Instead of Scan Bran use 100g All Bran soaked in 250ml water and only 2 eggs - microwave for +- 6 1/2-7 mins - can be eaten hot (with custard, but don't forget to syn, or fromage frais and fresh berries). Also works well with other Options flavours e.g Orange, Banana, Belgian, Coconut. I got the recipe from the SW site quite a few years ago. I cut into 8 wedges which works out at 1.5 syns per wedge.

Back