Scan bran

If you’ve ever wondered why the crunchy crispbread Scan Bran is such a hit in Slimming World groups – it’s because it’s the perfect formula for slimming success! As well as a great basis to pile on lots of lovely Free Food toppings, its fibre-rich recipe also boosts weight loss and is fab for digestion.

Scan Bran has inspired lots of you to get creative in the kitchen, Food Optimising-style! From cakes to savoury snacks, you’ll find your Scan Bran creations below...

Scan Bran carrot cake

*Syns: 13½ Syns for the whole cake

You will need:
4 Scan Bran, crushed
1 Weetabix, crushed
5oz grated carrot
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 level tbsp runny honey
2 level tbsp mincemeat
3 beaten eggs
For the topping:
1 pot quark skimmed milk soft cheese
Lemon juice
Sweetener to taste

Method:

1. 1Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C.
2. 2Mix all the ingredients together.
3. 3Transfer the mix into a baking tin lined with non-stick baking parchment and bake for 1 hour.
4. 4When cooked turn onto a wire rack to cool.
5. 5For the topping mix the quark with lemon juice and sweetener to taste and spread onto the cake once cooled.

Cheese & onion Scan Bran burgers

Makes: 3 burgers
Syns: 3 Syns per burger

You will need:
3 Scan Bran
2 Eggs
Soy sauce
1 bunch spring onions
42g reduced fat cheddar
Fry Light
Hot water

Method:

1. 1Crumble the Scan Bran, add hot water and allow to cool.
2. 2Beat the eggs and add a good sprinkling of soy sauce and seasoning.
3. 3Mix the egg mixture with the Scan Bran.
4. 4Finely chop the onions and add to the Scan Bran.
5. 5Grate the cheese and add to the Scan Bran.
6. 6Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
7. 7Shape into thin burgers (makes 3 quite large burgers) and fry in Fry Light until golden on both sides.

Chef’s tip: best served with baked beans or mushy peas!

Fudge cake

Syns: 14½ Syns for the whole cake!

You will need:
5 Scan Bran, broken into small pieces
1oz/28g sieved icing sugar
2 level tbsp golden syrup
4 tbsp artificial sweetener
2 beaten eggs
1 pot quark skimmed milk soft cheese

Method:

1. 1Soak the Scan Bran in a little hot water until soft.
2. 2Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
3. 3Place in a parchment lined loaf tin and bake at 190ºC/Gas Mark 5 for 30–35 minutes.

Low-Syn chocolate cake

*Syns: 11½ Syns for the whole cake

You will need:
5 Scan Bran
3 beaten eggs
1 level tbsp golden syrup
1oz cocoa powder
½ mug sweetener

Method:

1. 1Soak the Scan Bran in boiling water to soften. Then drain and mash.
2. 2Mix all the ingredients together and pour into a microwavable bowl.
3. 3Microwave on high for 7 minutes. When cooked the cake will be springy to the touch and will have pulled away from the side.
4. 4For a free topping, pile with (defrosted) frozen forest fruits or top with chocolate spread (4½ Syns per tbsp).

Christmas bran cake

Syns: 11 Syns for the whole cake!

You will need:
5 Scan Bran
2 beaten eggs
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 level tbsp mincemeat
5 level tbsp sweetener (or to taste)
1½ tsp mixed spice
Grated zest of a lemon for extra zing (optional)

Method:

2. 2Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly.
3. 3Pour the mixture into a microwavable bowl and microwave for around 6 minutes. When cooked the cake will be springy to the touch and will have pulled away from the side.

Chef’s tip: Top with quark flavoured with brandy essence for a cold dessert. For a hot pud, enjoy with low fat custard (1 Syn per 2 level tbsp) or very low fat fromage frais/Müllerlight yogurt for Free!

Onion bhajis

Syns: 5 Syns for all the bhajis on Green or Extra Easy, 13 Syns on Original

You will need:
5 Scan Bran
1/3 cup hot water
1 egg, beaten
1 large (8oz/227g) potato
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
Fry Light

Method:

1. 1Crumble the Scan Bran until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2. 2Add the water and egg and soak for 10 minutes.
3. 3Peel and grate the potato and peel and chop the onions and garlic.
4. 4Mix with the Scan Bran mixture.
5. 5Add the curry powder, turmeric & seasoning.
6. 6Shape into bhajis.
7. 7Fry in Fry Light until cooked.

Scan Bran Scotch eggs

*Syns per Scotch egg: 1 Syn on Original & Extra Easy, 6 Syns on Green
Syns per half Scotch egg: ½ Syn on Original & Extra Easy, 3 Syns on Green

You will need:
5 hard boiled eggs
8 pack Morrisons Eat Smart Less Than 3% Fat Pork Sausages
½ oz/14g flour to dust hands only
3 eggs, beaten
2 Scan Bran, crushed

Method:

1. 1Hard boil 5 eggs. Cool in running water, then take off the shells.
2. 2Skin the sausages, cut through skin lengthways and take out the meat.
3. 3Using a little of the flour to dust hands, take 1½ sausages and roll into a ball. Then press out to 4½” diameter.
4. 4Place a boiled egg in the centre and form the meat around the egg to cover it completely.
5. 5Repeat until all 5 are covered.
6. 6Beat the 3 eggs in a basin for the coating.
7. 7Dip the meat-covered eggs into the beaten eggs and then into the crushed Scan Bran.
8. 8Place on a baking tray, spray the scotch eggs with Fry Light and cook in the oven for approximately 15/20 minutes at 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
9. 9When cooked, allow to cool, then cut in half and serve.

Scan Bran pizza

Syns:
10 Syns for the whole pizza!

You will need:
4 Scan Bran
Chicken stock
½ tin chopped tomatoes
½ onion, finely sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ tsp sweetener
28g cheddar cheese
3 tbsp Quark
¼ tsp Coleman's mustard powder
Schwartz seasoning

Method:

1. 1Soak 4 Scan Bran in a little hot chicken stock.
2. 2When the stock has soaked in and the Scan Bran is soft, mash.
3. 3Form the Scan mash into a pizza shape, placing on a baking tray covered in baking parchment.
4. 4Cook in a medium oven until crisp.
5. 5Place the chopped tomatoes in a microwavable dish along with the onion, garlic and sweetener.
6. 6Cook on medium heat until the sauce is thickened.
7. 7Finely grate 28g cheddar cheese and mix into at least 3 tbsp Quark.
8. 8Add mustard powder and a couple of shakes of Schwartz seasoning.
9. 9Mix well and leave to stand to allow the quark to absorb all of the flavours.
10. 10Pile the tomato sauce mixture onto the crisp base and blob the cheese mixture over.
11. 11Heat in a hot oven until the cheese has browned.

Quorn mince & Scan Bran loaf

Syns: 5½ Syns for the whole loaf!

You will need:
5 Scan Bran
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6oz/170g mushrooms, chopped
1 pack Quorn Mince
1 jar passata
2 eggs
¼ pint chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
Salt & pepper

Method:

1. 1Crumble the Scan Bran and soak in enough hot water to moisten them. Leave for 10 minutes.
2. 2Add the onions, garlic, mushrooms and Scan Bran to the Quorn mince.
3. 3Beat the eggs and add to the mixture.
4. 4Add the passata, stock, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, herbs, salt and pepper.
5. 5Mix together and place in an oven proof dish, cook at Gas Mark 5/200ºC until golden and firm to the touch.

Ginger cake

*Syns: 13 Syns for the whole cake!
You will need:
5 Scan Bran
2 level tbsp black treacle
2 level tbsp golden syrup
3–4 tbsp sweetener
2 beaten eggs
2 tsp ground ginger

Method:

1. 1Break Scan Bran into small pieces and soak in warm water until soft but not soggy.
2. 2Combine the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
3. 3Add Scan Bran and combine, reducing any large lumps.
4. 4Place in a microwavable dish and cook for approximately 3–4 minutes. Check half way through.
5. 5Serve hot with virtually fat free fromage frais or leave until cold and cut into slices.

Scan Bran Ferrero Rocher

Syns: 26 Syns for 30, 1 Syn each

You will need:
8 Scan Bran
4 level tbsp Nutella
1 level tbsp Golden Syrup
1 tbsp water
Method:

1. 1Place the Scan Bran into a food processor and reduce to crumbs.
2. 2Mix all ingredients into the crumbled Scan Bran and divide up into petit four cases.
3. 3This should make 30 'Rochers'.

Variation: Try replacing Nutella with white chocolate spread and adding 2oz/57g chopped fresh apricots.

Oatbran/Scan Bran cake

Syns: 5 Syns for the whole cake!

You will need:
5 Scan/Oat Bran
1 Müllerlight yogurt
2 eggs
¼ tsp baking powder
5 tbsp sweetener or to taste
1 tsp cinnamon

Method:

1. 1Cover the Scan Bran with boiling water to soften.
2. 2Mix all the ingredients together and microwave for approximately 7 minutes.

Banana cake

Syns: 18 Syns for the whole cake.

You will need:
3 Scan Bran
2 Weetabix
1 banana
1 tsp each of ginger, all spice and cinnamon
1 tbsp mincemeat
1 tbsp honey
Artificial sweetener
3 eggs
Fry Light

Method:

1. 1Soften Scan Bran in a little warm water, then mix with crumbled Weetabix.
2. 2Mix in mashed banana, the spices, mincemeat, honey and sweetener.
3. 3Beat the eggs and stir into mix.
4. 4Lightly spray a baking tin with Fry Light and line with parchment paper. Place the mixture in the tin and cook at 175ºC/Gas Mark 4 for 20 minutes.

Scan Bran raspberry and chocolate cake

Syns: 11 Syns for the whole cake - that's just one Syn per slice!

You will need:
5 Scan Bran (or Oat Bran)
2 large carrots, finely grated
3 or 4 tbsp artificial sweetener (or to taste)
2 sachets of Options Belgian Chocolate
150g frozen raspberries
3 eggs, beaten

Method:

1. 1Pour boiling water over the Scan Bran and leave for 1 minute so that it softens, then drain and mash.
2. 2Blend the Scan Bran, carrot, sweetener and Options, mixing very thoroughly. Stir in the frozen raspberries. Then add the beaten eggs and stir until completely mixed. Transfer the mixture into a microwaveable dish – about 6½in/16cm in diameter.
3. 3Microwave on high for about 15 minutes, or until cooked. The end product should be reasonably moist.

Scan Bran black forest gateau

Syns: 11 Syns for the whole cake or 11½ Syns using cocoa

You will need:
2 sachets of Options Belgian Chocolate OR 1oz/28g cocoa powder
150g frozen cherries
3 eggs, beaten

Method:

1. 1Pour boiling water over the Scan Bran and leave for 1 minute so that it softens, then drain and mash.
2. 2Blend the Scan Bran, carrot, sweetener and Options/cocoa powder, mixing very thoroughly. Stir in the frozen cherries. Then add the beaten eggs and stir until completely mixed. Transfer the mixture into a microwaveable dish – about 6½in/16cm in diameter.
3. 3Microwave on high for about 15 minutes, or until cooked. The end product should be reasonably moist.

Note: The cocoa makes it darker, but for a really dark-coloured gateau add 1 teaspoon of black food colouring.

Scan Bran pineapple cake

Syns: 9 Syns for the whole cake

You will need:
1 tsp of ground all-spice (or to taste
150g can of pineapple pieces
3 eggs, beaten

Method:

2. 2Blend the Scan Bran, carrot, sweetener and all-spice, mixing very thoroughly. Stir in the pineapple. Then add the beaten eggs and stir until completely mixed. Transfer the mixture into a microwaveable dish – about 6½in/16cm in diameter.

Scan Bran ginger cake

Syns: 9 Syns for the whole cake
You will need:
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp of ground all-spice (or to taste)
1 tsp cinnamon
28g finely chopped stem ginger
3 eggs, beaten

Method:

2. 2Blend the Scan Bran, carrot, sweetener, ground ginger, all-spice, cinnamon and stem ginger, mixing very thoroughly. Then add the beaten eggs and stir until completely mixed. Transfer the mixture into a microwaveable dish – about 6½in/16cm in diameter.

As well as delicious cakes and bakes, you’ve been achieving fabulous success by swapping Healthy Extras like wholemeal bread and cereal for Scan Bran a few times a week. Here are some top topping ideas...

1. Stilton spread: Mix quark with 28g crumbled stilton (Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice) and leave in fridge overnight to flavour the quark.

2. Melted Cheddar cheese (28g is a Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice) and grilled bacon.

3. Tuna mixed with very low fat mayo and spring onion

4. Cottage cheese and sliced pineapple.

5. Sliced Mozzarella (42g is a Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice) with roasted tomatoes and fresh basil.

6. Sliced Quorn sausage and tomato

7. Laughing Cow Light cheese spread (5 triangles are a Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice), sliced ham and tomato.

8. Home made Free houmous: chickpeas blended with garlic, lemon juice and fat free natural fromage frais.

9. Home made Free tzatziki – fat free natural yogurt mixed with finely chopped cucumber, garlic, mint and a dash of lemon.

10. Cooked and chopped chicken mixed with fat free fromage frais and ½ tsp mustard powder.

Curly Wurly Scan Bran cake
df

Syns:12 Syns for the whole cake!
You will need:
4 Scan Bran
2 eggs
3 or 4 tbsp sweetener (to taste)
1 sachet Belgian Choc Options
26g Curly Wurly bar

Method:

2. 2Beat the eggs and stir into mix, along with the sweetener and Belgian Choc Options
3. 3Chop the Curly Wurly into pieces and add to the mix
4. 4Pour the mixture into a microwavable bowl and cook for around 6 minutes. When cooked the cake will be springy to the touch and will have pulled away from the side.

Tip: For those who don’t have a microwave, you can cook the cake on 200°C/Gas Mark 6 for approximately 30 minutes.

what a load of great recipes!!!

Can you use the scan bran as your HEB choice and then reduce the syns for the recipe?

x

Bought some today, so will have to try the chocolate cake..isit nice then?

Thanks Stacey i forgot you posted these recipes xx

Just tried the chocolate cake and it wasn't bad :) will try some quark on top next time I think.

MrsWilsonCroft - Thanks for all the Scan Bran recipes, I've been looking for new ones for ages, so glad I joined this site. :D

Bump - wanna keep these recipes :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi folks the chocci one is nice with silken tofu on top in an old thread is states that if you eat the whole thing during the day then you can count six of the syns as a HEB is that right (dont think i could but interested as that makes it 5.5 for the whole cake.

Tried out the Scotch Egg recipe today as I had some syn free sausages left from the weekend, and OH said it was superb!!

Fab warm for winter and cold for summer

Kx

Tried out the Scotch Egg recipe today as I had some syn free sausages left from the weekend, and OH said it was superb!!

Fab warm for winter and cold for summer

Kx

syn free sausages?! tell me more :D lol xx

juicygooseface said:
syn free sausages?! tell me more :D lol xx

Hiya

There is a link for butchers selling syn free sausages . I went to one in Stevenage for mine. There is also a website- you need to google Joes Sausages. They are not cheap and I haven't tried them as yet, but ne and a friend will be ordering together - Nom Nom

Kx

Hiya

There is a link for butchers selling syn free sausages . I went to one in Stevenage for mine. There is also a website- you need to google Joes Sausages. They are not cheap and I haven't tried them as yet, but ne and a friend will be ordering together - Nom Nom

Kx

ok thankyou! i will have to google :)

xxxx

Hi folks the chocci one is nice with silken tofu on top in an old thread is states that if you eat the whole thing during the day then you can count six of the syns as a HEB is that right (dont think i could but interested as that makes it 5.5 for the whole cake.
oh not that nice after the novaltys worn of think the scan bran is better on its own tbh but thanks for the recipes dont no until we try.:)

oh not that nice after the novaltys worn of think the scan bran is better on its own tbh but thanks for the recipes dont no until we try.:)
Scan Bran on its own?

Ooh you're very brave! - even plastering mine with Laughing Cow never masked the taste!

I'm glad I tried it though.

I have them with tinned tomatoes on them , only way i can eat them at moment. Keep saying ill try something different

I tried scan bran today. I crushed it and mixed it with a tomato and basil mugshot. it tasted fine, thickened up the sauce loads so I added a little more water, it was really filling. Lets see if they have the effect I'm hoping for!

Back