Scared of loosing weight

2013ismyyear

I know the title may sound strange. But I'm genuinely scared of loosing weight. I weigh 14 stone and I'm 5ft 6. I have a BMI of 31 and I am desperately unfit. BUT I'm scared that if I diet or exercise il put too much strain on my body and I will die. I know this sounds weird but its a real fear I have. I hear so many stories about athletes or fit and healthy people just dying! I have kids :-( and can't bear to not be here

Hi hunny. Do you know if your GP surgery has a weightloss programme? Being followed by a nurse/GP might put your mind at ease?

One thing is certain: by remaining overweight, you're eating into your life expectancy and may not be able to enjoy your grandchildren (and even great grandchildren) as much as you'd like. xxx

PS: the notion of our own mortality is a scary one to contemplate, but we cannot dwell on it or we'd just stop living. Yes, healthy people die everyday, some of illnesses (hereditary or not), some of accidents. It is a tragedy and it is a scary thought :(

You don't need to exercise to lose weight hon, it's far from necessary if you feel worried about it. :) To start with, just concentrate on making better dietary choices - there can't be any health risk in doing that, can there? Like has been said above, see your GP if you're worried - you should always do that before embarking on these things anyway. I myself have multiple health issues, so don't exercise at all, but have still managed to lose over 8 stone so far. I did consult my GP. One thing's for sure, your health will be at a greater risk if you remain obese, so go for it! :) xx

Where you hear about an athlete dying it is usually not because of exercising but due to an underlying medical condition that perhaps went undetected such as a congenital heart defeat. And believe me the number of cases is actually very small but because they receive a lot of press coverage it perhaps seems like there is a lot.

So we hear about the footballer having a heart attack on the pitch or the marathon runner dropping down dead at the end of the race. But what we don't really hear about or register is the number of deaths where obesity is a contributing factor. It is difficult to quantify but the audit office estimates that 6% of all deaths in England are caused by obesity, and that's around an excess of 30,000 deaths in a single year.

So as I see it you have to weigh up (no pun intended) your risks and benefits. There are risks in everything we do from taking an aspirin to crossing the road but we take sensible precautions and carry on. Otherwise we would spend our lives wrapped in cotton wool and never leaving the house, although perhaps not when you see the number of deaths that happen due to household accidents!

There may be some remote, infinitesimal risk if you start exercising but the benefits are huge. Your greatest risk is more likely to be a twisted ankle or pulled muscle than dropping down dead. On the other hand if you remain overweight and most likely putting on more weight as the years progress then you really are at serious risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes, cancer and premature death.

I work with patients who have had heart attacks or have serious respiratory conditions and the best treatment for them is not pills, its simple getting active. Exercise doesn't have to mean going all out pumping iron at the gym for 5 hours a day either. Recent advice is that even half an hour of activity every day can reap huge rewards, even just going for a walk. This is a great video that we use in our health services here to promote physical activity and might be worth watching as it explains all the potential benefits in a fun way.

23.5 hours - Physical Activity Health Alliance

If you are worried of course have a chat with your doctor about how you are feeling, and it would be a sensible precaution to see him anyway before you start exercising. but if you are looking for any incentive to start eating healthily and being active, look no further than those children you mention and think about the example you want to set them for the future.

Good luck!

I would highly recommend going to a hypnotherapist, when people have fears like this it is normally from an unconscious place or something that happened to us, or we heard in childhood. I think its definately something that would help you, and you are probably maintaining your current weight becuase of it.

I know exactly how you feel. I feel the same :( I have two children and I cannot even imagine... But the truth is by staying fat we really do have much smaller chance of living till our children's wedding. SO let's do it!

WOW! You've lost amazing amount otweight! Congratulations. I am new here so people like you are excellent motivation!

Marikak said:
WOW! You've lost amazing amount otweight! Congratulations. I am new here so people like you are excellent motivation!

Sorry, hon, but which poster were you talking to here? :) xx

It's not weird to have this fear! :) Just make changes gradually and once you start to lose weight naturally, even if it's only a little bit at first, you'll get more comfortable with losing weight. Even just going on a walk and adjusting your diet slightly, will help. Good luck x

Back