Schwartz hollondaise for fish

Alibongo

Happily pro pointing!
Hi guys
Some of you may know me from the LL board :wavey:

My DH has decided to start atkins today, I did it some time back, but it is all a bit hazy, think I will have many questions if that is ok :)

My first one is about the schwartz hollandise sauce for fish, the nutrional info says this

nutriinfo.gif
transgif.gif
transgif.gif

Values per 100g/100ml
transgif.gif
Energy: 152.0 KCal Protein: 0.7 g Carbohydrates: 0.4 g Fat: 16.4 g of which saturates: 7.0 g Fibre: 2.0 g Sodium: 0.3 g

Does this mean it is free? I am taking the fibre away from the total carbs, but not sure if I am doing it right.

Ingredients list also looks ok to me, but just wanted to check.

Water, Butter (14%), Vegetable Oil, Concentrated Lemon Juice, Whole Egg Powder, Thickeners (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Malt Vinegar, Salt, White Wine Vinegar, Colour (Paprika Extract), Spice.

I am also looking for breakfast ideas that aren't fry up or omelette, which seems to be mostly what is suggested.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Dancing, just wanted to make sure I was doing it right before I give it too him, I don't want to sabotage his diet. It would only be a small amount so think it should be ok.
What would be the problem with salt and lemon juice?
He has been drinking sugar free lemon squash, I checked the carb content was virtually zero, but is it ok if it is lemon?
Thanks

is it a ready made sauce or does it need to be made with milk?

sorry if this is a stoopid question.... but the milk will add carbs.

It is the ready made sauce you get in the bag/pouch things in the fish section, so there is nothing to add. They do a packet which requires milk but that also has a lot of carbs in it, I guess it has some kind of flour for thickening.

When you are working out net carbs, is it always carbs - fibre = net carbs, or is there something else you need to take note of.
I have been talking to my friend whose husband is also doing atkins and she said he has some bread, organic sunflower and pumpkin and it is only 7g carbs and her DH eats it and is still losing fine. So I looked it out in tesco and it says

Name Per Serving Per 100g Energy 330kJ (80kcal) 1310kJ (315kcal) Protein 3.7g 14.9g Carbohydrate 8.4g 33.4g sugars 0.7g 2.7g Fat 3.3g 13.2g saturates 0.4g 1.6g mono unsaturates 0.9g 3.7g polyunsaturates 1.8g 7.3g Fibre 1.1g 4.4g Sodium* 0.1g 0.4g *Salt Equivalent 0.2g 0.9g

So is this really ok? I work it out at 7.3 per slice which I guess would be fine after induction.
It seems odd to me that you can have bread on atkins.

Similar with dry roasted peanuts
carbs 2.6 - fibre 2.3 = 0.3 net carbs for 25g nuts.

I don't want to muck it up for him by giving him stuff he can't have.

Hi,
I have been having nuts on induction, a few people do. Atkins does say not to have them mainly because of the addictive quality, it is hard to just have 1 handful & stop..........lol

Breakfast: i can`t stand the idea of fried food or any meat for brekkie, so i have a "minute muffin" "oopsie rolls" or "flaxseed pancakes" will post recipes if you need them...
the oopsie rolls are lovely for sandwiches instead of bread, or burger buns.

Yes please, Buffydog, can you post recipes for those? Fed up of egg and bacon and sausage (never thought I'd hear myself say that!).

I think where fibre is listed separately from carbs then you don't subtract the fibre to get net carbs because it hasn't been included in the total carb count

In the US, fibre is usually included with the carbs - as in Carbs 10g of which 2.5g fibre

Here's planter's dry roasted peanuts - fibre is listed under carbs 9along with sugar) so net carbs are 4g per 28g.

product_nutrition_facts.gif
[FONT=Helvetica, arial, verdana,sans-serif]Serving Size 28g
Servings per Container about 16
[/FONT]
Amount Per Serving Calories 170[FONT=Helvetica, arial, verdana,sans-serif][/FONT]Calories from Fat130[FONT=Helvetica, arial, verdana,sans-serif][/FONT]% Daily Value* Total Fat 14g 22 % Saturated Fat 2g 10 % Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg 0 % Sodium 190mg 8 % Total Carbohydrate 5g 2 % Dietary Fiber 2g 8 % Sugars 2g Protein 8g

OP was dancing.

Muffin in a Minute

allowed on Induction

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal (8.09 total carbs, 7.6 fiber)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (0.64 net carbs)
1 packet splenda packet (0.9 net carbs)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (1.84 total carbs, 1.2 fiber)
1 large egg (0.6 net carbs)
1 teaspoon butter

(total carbs is 12.07, fiber is 8.8; net carbs is 3.27)

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

8 oz cream cheese
8 eggs
pinch of cream of tarter
some sugar (splenda)
some salt

separate the eggs, whip the whites with the cream of tarter. Mix the yokes with the bit of sweetner, salt and cream cheese. When the whites are really stiff, fold them into the yokes. I spoon them into pam sprayed muffintop pans and get 12 Oopsies. Bake for 22-24 mins at 300. Midway through baking I take the pans out, turn them around and change places with each other for uniform color.

i find they only take 10 - 1 mins, i add some herbs to mine too.
or add cinammon or ginger to make sweet bread.

the pancakes are just

2 eggs
3 tablespoons of milled flaxseed
bit of cream
some splenda

It`s really up to you how much you put in, until it looks like normal pancake mix then fry with bit of butter.
I also add cinammon or nutmeg.

add more butter once cooked or cream

I think where fibre is listed separately from carbs then you don't subtract the fibre to get net carbs because it hasn't been included in the total carb count

In the US, fibre is usually included with the carbs - as in Carbs 10g of which 2.5g fibre

Here's planter's dry roasted peanuts - fibre is listed under carbs 9along with sugar) so net carbs are 4g per 28g.

product_nutrition_facts.gif
[FONT=Helvetica, arial, verdana,sans-serif]Serving Size 28g
Servings per Container about 16
[/FONT]
Amount Per Serving Calories 170Calories from Fat130% Daily Value* Total Fat 14g 22 % Saturated Fat 2g 10 % Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg 0 % Sodium 190mg 8 % Total Carbohydrate 5g 2 % Dietary Fiber 2g 8 % Sugars 2g Protein 8g

thanks Azlan, that has really cleared things up for me, The atkins book was going on about taking fibre away etc, but then I have read this afternoon that we don't do that in the uk *sigh* maybe I should have bought a new book, this one is a few years old now.

The dry roasted peanuts I was quoting were the tesco own which look lower in carbs than planters.

Thanks everybody for replying and thanks very much for the recipes buffdog. :)

Where do you get the flaxseed from? Do you get in health food stores? Does it have any effect on losses for some people? Does it actually taste ok? Sometimes these things don't taste quite right if you know what I mean. I tried psyllium husks on LL and they were minging, LOL.

i think it tastes ok, but was a strange at first, i bought it from flaxseedshop.com, but it was very expensive, then i found it in morrisons, with all organic, gluten free stuff, it was alot cheaper.

i have been taking away the fibre, will have to stop this now, i think theres a few other that do this too.

I have no idea, am confused about the whole thing to be honest. Some of the info I read was from 2003 which could be well out of date.
I have emailed atkins to find out for sure.
I don't think just relying on old messages on message boards is good enough in this situation. They may be correct but then again they may not.
I will let you know when I hear back and post their reply.

found this on weight loss resources, so it looks like we cannot take away fibre????????

I keep hearing about ‘net carbs’. What are these?

Not all carbohydrates can be digested by the body. Fibre, for example, passes through the body without affecting blood sugar levels. The Atkins diet focuses on those carbohydrates that can be digested and therefore affect blood sugar levels.

The ‘net’ carbohydrate value of a food, simply refers to the amount of digestible carbohydrate a product contains. In the UK, this is equivalent to the carbohydrate content given in the nutrition information chart on food packaging.

yes a bummer, but
maybe now with this info we can all lose more weight.yeah!!!! we can hope...lol

Interesting thread... I've just started out on Atkins & dug out my books from ages ago... been struggling to find out what a 'cup' means & working out net carbs & have been thinking the same that carbohydrate-fibre=net carbs.

Am I right in thinking that newer Atkins books have measurements in grams rather than cups? And that the carb content on the packaging in the UK is actually the net carb content?? :confused:

Thanks... there is a reason my tag is ditzeeblonde!! ;)

Back