sci fi

abz

Gold Member
just wondering if there are any other sci fi enthusiasts on here?

have just bought ender's game to read again. haven't read it for some time. can't wait :D

abz xx

looks like that way :D ah well. i read ender's game in a day. i loved it the second time around too and am just off to order the second book with a matching cover :D

abz xx

I love Sci Fi too :)

Me too, but tend to watch rather than read Sci Fi.

Might have to change that :)

Any good recommendations?

it really does depend on the kind of thing you like, whether you want to watch a series or a film. i love the firefly series :) and am working my way through battlestar galactica too which isn't bad...

Life long SF fan here....My fav book as a child was Podkayne of Mars - Heinlein I was born into SF both my parents were founder memebers of the London Science Fiction Circle as well as my dad being the first Chairman of the Tolkein Society (fantasy I know :) )...I read anything and everything but still have a the biggest soft spot for SF & Fantasy

i am off to get my hands on the second ender book this week i hope. i have read it before but love them. then onto the third which i have yet to read. i even bought an almost non-reader the first one for chrimbo and he didn't put it down for two days :D

the right book at the right time suits any person :D

abz xx

I'm a big fan of Charles Stross. Saturn's Children is one of my favourite *EVER* books :)

I like a bit of sci fi lol but I'm a fantasy girl at heart! Any good recommendations for a good sci fi series? I was a massive Anne mcaffrey fan as a kid! But nothing too politics heavy! I'm a read for pleasure kind of gal!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

This looks like the thread for me. :D
I'm a big fan of Charles Stross, his book, Saturn's Children, is probably my favourite and not just within this genre!
And of course, how can you not adore Hitch Hiker's Guide? I started reading The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams recently. The first part is a collection of articles and introductions, and the second part is the actual novel - pieced together from a few different versions he had written before his death. I'm not far in yet, but I've been laughing out loud on buses and in coffee shops all week :)

And of course, how can you not adore Hitch Hiker's Guide? I started reading The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams recently. The first part is a collection of articles and introductions, and the second part is the actual novel - pieced together from a few different versions he had written before his death. I'm not far in yet, but I've been laughing out loud on buses and in coffee shops all week :)
Indeed. One of the best works of sci fi out there, in my opinion. :) Just picked up the sixth book in the series by Eoin Colfer. Not sure what to make of it, although I've heard it's a pretty good approximation to Douglas Adams' style.
Have listened to Salmon on audio books (read by, amongst others, Stephen Fry, who just makes it even more sublime...could listen to him read the phone book and still be gripped!) Pity really that the book was never finished.

someone offered to lend me some star trek next gen books. and i thought 'ok, no harm'. i now have hundreds of the things. i thought she meant like 5... ha. still, i'm on about number eight and some are ok and some are not but it's just like watching a really long episode generally.

agree that hhgg is fab. love it.

abz xx

It depends what you're looking for really. If you want some light science fiction that is easily accessible and readable try Neal Asher, his Polity novels are quite fun. if you want something a little meatier and cerebral try Iain M. Banks - his novel, The Player of Games is a good introduction to The Culture and is one of my favourites ever!

My personal favourite is Peter F. Hamilton who writes convincing futures based on current Earth happenings. He does have some rather dodgy love scenes though, but they're for the hardcore sci fi types...

If you fancy some downright filthy, graphic low fantasy, I can't recommend Joe Abercrombie enough!

Back