Seeking advice on my diet (21-stoner)

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Diaries' started by mrbloat, 15 March 2011 Social URL.

1. mrbloat

mrbloat Banned

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum so I'm not entirely sure if I'm posting this in the right section. I apologise if I am...

I'm an obese guy who weighs in around 21-stone. I've been fat most of my life and suffered alot for it. I decided a week ago that I was going to have to make a serious lifestyle change and I discovered this forum.

I'm going to post a list of what I ate today. PLEASE feel free to give me some advice on what I'm doing right/wrong. I'm very new to all of this. Due to my size and weight, I'm just doing one step at a time. I would love to hear tips from you.

This is what I've eaten today. ( For exercise I did 15 minutes on the exercise bike first thing in the morning and went for three 30-minute walks during the day) :

Breakfast :

1 poached egg on brown buttered roll
    1 cup of coffee
    1 orange

Snack :

1 apple

Lunch :

2 cod fillets + stir fried vegetables (broccoli,red onion + spring onion) + rice

Snack :

1 banana with honey
    1 handful of pecan nuts

Dinner :

1 can of tuna (mixed with mayo+soya sauce+lemon+honey+seasoning) + sweetcorn + rice + grapes in low-fat yoghurt + an egg

Snack :

1 handful of grapes
  2. Avatar Matched Content

3. RainbowRose

RainbowRose Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    Healthy eating and willpower!
    hello and welcome :)

I post in my diary every day on here my menu for the day. Your choices are very similiar to mine :D

I too have discovered walking, though the snow up here sabotaged my walking routine last week :eek: I have been walking for anything from 30mins to an hour...sometimes more every day that I can. I also used the house stairs for a mini workout last week :eek:..and I am 7lbs away from being able to have a exercise session on my brand new exercise bike, which has been beckoning me for 2-3 weeks now ;)

Good luck, you will find lots of support on here, we are all in the same boat. There are a couple of guys in this section too, so you are not alone :)

I look forward to chatting with you and following your progress.
  4. Lift

Lift Full Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Exercise and Healthy Eating!
    Hi there,

First welcome and congrats on the great start :)

Regards your diet, it seems to me you may not be getting enough calories and I believe you need considerably more given your weight and (I assume) your intention to exercise.

I have been eating between approximately 2300-2800 calories/day and have been taking (mostly) light exercise 3/4 times per week and have lost 10.5lbs in the last 22days. If this sounds appealing then... here's how I determined my daily calorie requirements:

Calculated my Basal Metabolic Rate using an onlince calculator (eg: BMR Calculator) and then my Active Metabolic Rate (an estimate of the number of calories I burn per day), by -

a) multiplying the number by 1.2 for non-exercise days
    b) multipling the number by 1.2 for exercise days, and adding the number of calories I estimate I burn through the exercise.

So these numbers are then amount of calories I burn on that day, and also the amount of calories I need to consume per day to maintain my current weight.

Taking (a), my AMR today (since I was at work most of the day and couldnt get to the gym), is: 2975.

So to lose 2lbs a week (a safe amount apparently), I just subtract 1000kcal, to give 1975kcal and that is what I plan to consume today.

Taking (b), if tommorow I burn 500kcal through exercise, I will just add 500 to the AMR above to give 3475, and then subtract 1000kcal to give 2475kcal - which is what I will consume tomorrow.

I try to eat my meals in the following proportions, 40% calories from carbs, 40% from proteins and 20% from (healthy) fats, and to eat 5 or 6 small meals per day (to keep the metabolism going) rather than 2 or 3 large meals.

Hope this is helpful & good luck.
  5. RainbowRose

RainbowRose Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    Healthy eating and willpower!
    good advice Lift :) and guys do need a higher calorie intake!

Good luck again mr Bloat :)
  6. Emmaline

Emmaline Hippety Hop!

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    calorie counting and low carbs
    Hi Mr Bloat!! Welcome to the forum.

First of all, do you really want us to address you with that rather derogatory name - bloated you may be, my dear, but it won't help in those times (and there will be quite a few) when you are feeling despondent and negative about your progress.
    Secondy, I take issue with people who don't fill in their details! It would be nice to get to know you and that helps so much if we have those details....:D Or perhaps you prefer to stay as hidden as possible?!

Seriously though, I am sure you will get lots of support on here and get to the goal you are aiming for - and what is that, I wonder? What are you doing as regards a dieting regime? If it is calorie counting then I do feel that you are cutting yourself short and making things too strict for yourself.

Look forward to reading about your progress and do tell me off if you want to - I have a very broad back!!!

Take care....:)
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.