Sensitive Question Re: regaining weight

Shirleen

Gold Member
Hi, I have loads to lose and will do it, but I'm slightly worried about regaining the weight later on.

So firstly I wanted to ask those of you who have lost and gained how that happened, I mean did you go bananas on the treats, or did it creep on?
It's just I've heard of people regaining all they lost and more in a very short space of time, and I wondered if after losing lots of weight you are more prone to gaining?

My second question is for those who have maintained, do you go to group every week, are you on the scales constantly, is it a battle?

I'm not trying to set myself to fail I just think forewarned is forearmed!

Strangely mine crept on when i was happy again. I lost about 10 stone after i had my son(was down to 8stone again), me and my partner broke up i went down to live with my parents and then i lost another 7lbs. The me and partner got back together and i moed back up and we got our own place to live and became financially stable and and what can i say oer the last 2.5 years it just cycled back up. Now dont get my wrong i;ve noticed it but never did anything about it(also went through a depression period lots of changes again). So start of this year i made a vow to loose the weight and to NEVER regain it again, no matter what lie throws at me as food or the lack of it(starving) is not the way forward! First in jan i did my own *diet* lost a stone which was great but a little soul destroying plus i felt old habbits coming back. So after an another shitty inceident, i decided to join slimming world and address some of my issues for good. So glad i did and have become quite the convert and will preach to all whom will listen.

I think it is best to TRY not to worry about the weight coming back on for now as you are loosing it. I think with sw and the fact that you are supported after you reach your pat, helps tremendously!

I have lost and gained previously and am still trying to get back to where i was. I think its a number of things that caused me to put it back on. I was really strict to get to target and then afterwards went mad the other way. Looking back now i know i did nothing to change my eating habits long term. I also changed my pill which i believe increased my appetite but this didnt have as big an impact as me eating the wrong stuff.

I lost over 5 1/2 stone and let 2 stone creep back on.

I noticed it, but after the euphoria of losing 5 1/2 I just kind of let myself go a little. Even though I was still in the 10 stone category with a BMI that was still overweight, everyone told me I looked ill :cry:, and that I didn't need to lose anymore.:sigh:

I did begin to work out more though, and therefore although I have put weight on I am not "as big" as I was before if that makes sense.

I could kick myself for doing it, but i'm going to get there again because I know I can do it. I would definitely go to group as a maintainer, having learnt from earlier experience. :)

I think the key is to identify your issues with food as being aware of things is half the battle and work towards changing them. It is a bit of a battle if you don't, we can all be really good and stick to a diet and exercise plan but if we use food as a crutch the next time things go wrong the issues will raise their ugly heads again and undo all the hard work.

I've been losing weight for years now and I've used that time to plan for maintenance...plus deal with my food issues. I hope I've done enough to maintain once I get there. Time will tell.

Remember that with SW once you do get to target as long as you go at least once a month (if you do group) then it's free forever! I'd suggest going every other week just to keep yourself in the routine and that way you can reign it in a little if you start creeping towards the upper limit of your target. It serves as a reminder of your weight if nothing else and might help to keep you focused on not re-gaining all the weight again. I've done a few months of maintaining (i.e. taking a break!!) and going every couple of months has helped me do this without completely falling off the wagon and re-gaining. Need to try and muster up the will power to get back on properly now!!

I can't comment as yet, having just reached target myself, but I notice it might all be to do with attitude. For example, lots of people have said to me now that you're normal/target you can come off the plan and eat at the chippy, burger van, eat white bread, butter etc.

Hmm that's where we came in. I have to syn everything and remember the healthy extras, syns, superfree, free etc. is what helped me in the first place.

It would be both churlish and indeed foolish for me to abandon that now. I understood SW not to be "a diet" but a change for life.

By all means try coming off it but as soon as you put on, get back on it sharpish.

I will continue going to group - even if it is just to get weighed on accurate scales! - there's no pressure to stay - so long as I am remaining at target. Unless of course I want to stay;)

To me, it is getting it into my head once PAT achieved to keep doing the good things.

Hmmm I think the thought of never having white bread again makes me come over all faint lol!

MODERATION is my new watchword!

Hmmm I think the thought of never having white bread again makes me come over all faint lol!

MODERATION is my new watchword!
I know what you're saying Shirleen, but I'm going to be shockingly honest here. I simply could not trust myself!

I could not have white bread with any sort of margarine or spread - it simply would have to be Lurpak (nothing else) and I would fall back into old ways instantly.

Managing a HEX B of 3 small WW Danish brown with Flora Lighter-than-light is easy.

A damning inditement if ever there was one:(

So, in summary, I'd rather post the above as a few months/year down the line posting I regained my 90lb (or more) by thinking I could just slip back onto Warburtons and butter lol.

I could not let myself go into thinking I can go back to eat the way I did before anything and everything when I want. Way too dangerous for me its been hard work losing the weight I have I feel and look better and want to keep it that way.

If I have to stay off white bread butter cakes and biscuits so be it to stay the way I am now its worth it.

I actually prefer the SW way of eating it makes me eat better and healthier .:D

peggypig said:
I could not let myself go into thinking I can go back to eat the way I did before anything and everything when I want.

See i actually tell myself everyday i can eat what i want whenever i want. Nothing is stopping me. There is no 'cant have' or 'not allowed' any more. I tell myself i can eat whatever i want. I just need to accept that comes at the price of being the size i am just now, which im not happy with. It probably sounds like a different way of saying the same thing but its what helps me!!

See i actually tell myself everyday i can eat what i want whenever i want. Nothing is stopping me. There is no 'cant have' or 'not allowed' any more. I tell myself i can eat whatever i want. I just need to accept that comes at the price of being the size i am just now, which im not happy with. It probably sounds like a different way of saying the same thing but its what helps me!!

I think that's quite a healthy mental outlook, you CAN have anything you want and if you keep this in mind you'll find you probably won't want it because it doesn't have that 'forbidden fruit' element to it.

I regained everything I lost (1 stone 4lbs) bar 2lbs.

It was a combination of 3 things:
1. I was in a long distance relationship, and it stopped me being able to run at the weekend, which I had been doing whilst losing weight and was, in my opinion, the biggest contributor.
2. Eating terribly at weekends in particular.
3. Not following the plan any more, I felt my work was done.

Getting the 1stone off the first time was easy. honestly. It just fell off because I was running so much. Now, despite running a lot again, I just can't seem to capture that momentum again, and it is going to be a long struggle.

Back