Shift workers

I'm a support worker and i someone doesn't turn up for their shift I have to stay on, it's not often and cannot be pre-planned! I don[t understand why my Consultant told me I didn't need to let her know! She's a shift worker herself (nursing) so she would know the rules from when she was a member!

If you ticked the shift workers box on your sign up sheet it explains you do not have to pay if you inform you consultant the day before at the latest you will not be able to attend due to work commitments. It's on the sw website too under FAQ! X

yes but notified absence is just that notified absence as explained in my previous post. A shift worker can only be added as a shift by the consultant (ME!) before the group as you put in your post quoted above

I'm a shiftworker in a call centre. I always text my C if I am not going to her class & try & go to either a morning if on a late or a evening if on an early but keep it to the same day if poss. It can make a difference getting WI at different times of the day but it keeps me in line. HTH x

I joined last night and work shifts. I'm a bit worried as I weighed myself on my own scales yesterday (Wednesday) morning, then got weight at the meeting last night...next week i'm working lates so will have to be weighed in the morning on Thursday...surely this won't be an accurate measure of how much i've lost?
I dont think I'm able to simply miss weeks as the C mentioned something about only being able to miss 6 weeks for holiday allowance...

Why do they make things so complicated, why cant we just pay if we go to class and if we dont go then there should be no need to pay providing there is a genuine reason for not going

I joined last night and work shifts. I'm a bit worried as I weighed myself on my own scales yesterday (Wednesday) morning, then got weight at the meeting last night...next week i'm working lates so will have to be weighed in the morning on Thursday...surely this won't be an accurate measure of how much i've lost?
I dont think I'm able to simply miss weeks as the C mentioned something about only being able to miss 6 weeks for holiday allowance...

It may not be correct week to week, but you will average out month to month. You may be heavier on a later weigh in, but you'll be lighter on an earlier one if you know what I mean?

so for example you go early... you lose 3lbs. next week you go late and STS, then the next week you go early again and lose 2lb.

Over the 3 weeks that is a 5lb loss. So you focus on how well you do month to month rather than a number you get every week. x

Shift work doesn't count as a week off. As long as you've signed up as a shift worker and let them know in advance that you can't come. Personally, I've always managed to go and I work 12 hour shifts. I'll sometimes arrive late just to weigh in, because I know it keeps me on track.

And I weigh at different times of day if necessary. It hadn't made any difference to me. The key is to recognise that weight naturally fluctuates by a few pounds every day, keep away from other scales because that just messes with your head and remember all losses will eventually show up. You're not going to weigh a stone heavier than you really are.

I've never had to pay for classes I've missed for shifts!! Xxx

Shift work doesn't count as a week off. As long as you've signed up as a shift worker and let them know in advance that you can't come. Personally, I've always managed to go and I work 12 hour shifts. I'll sometimes arrive late just to weigh in, because I know it keeps me on track.

And I weigh at different times of day if necessary. It hadn't made any difference to me. The key is to recognise that weight naturally fluctuates by a few pounds every day, keep away from other scales because that just messes with your head and remember all losses will eventually show up. You're not going to weigh a stone heavier than you really are.

you wont weigh a stone different, but you may weigh a couple of pounds..which is what you're aiming to lose per week...so just not sure i want to get weighed on a different day/time each week due to shift work....tempted to just weigh myself at home each week instead.

Mozzalicious said:
you wont weigh a stone different, but you may weigh a couple of pounds..which is what you're aiming to lose per week...so just not sure i want to get weighed on a different day/time each week due to shift work....tempted to just weigh myself at home each week instead.

Well to each there own. It all shows up eventually - and if you had to weigh at an awkward time one week then a good time the next, losses that week are often significantly more than usual. I've done it all ways, home alone, avoiding class when I might not like results and attending class no matter what. The third option has produced my most successful weight loss. But we're all different and get success through different things. Good luck with it. Shifts are a killer for weight loss

I'm a shift worker and when I was attending class I could go for three weeks then would miss three weeks due to shift pattern, I never had to pay for missed weeks and I never had to notify either, guess I was just lucky!

Back