shopping budget

Intriguing the way it seems to be up for some and down for others.. have no clue what will happen to ours, though it's usually the case that I budget 75ish for the two of us (includes clothes in asda, plus pet food for german shepherd plus 4 cats), and if we're more than £10 under that, we go past the takeaway on the way home doh!

Ive changed my shopping ways, i used to wander round tesco and ended up in there anything up to 2 hours and spending about £80 at a time - then i would just top up the shop so maybe another £20, and then any takeouts we had - say 2 a week for 2 people - roughly another £40 - so thats a £140 a week bill!!!! for 2 adults!

Now i am on SW i plan my meals better, and shop online to avoid checkout suprises and keep to a tighter budget....about £50-£75 a week depending on non food items (cleaning products, loo roll, etc) and we have one takeout/meal out a week - so say £20 - so i guess we are saving quite a bit by taking this approach as weekly food costs £70-95 instead of £140!!!

Which over a whole year saves us £3,000 roughly....!!!! OMG!!! x

i am also one of the strange ones that costs have went down :) i usually buy frozen veg which is mega cheap and already cut up for me as i am lazy :p most of my meals are built around rice, potatoes, pasta, noodles or couscous which are very cheap. i also now use quorn mince and chicken instead of meat and it is so much cheaper than meat equivalent. also for pasta or curry i always make my own sauces now and so much cheaper than buying jars.

all this in addition to less takeaways really makes for a good saving :)

i can see how doing red days would be very expensive but i mostly do green. some people complain about the cost of fruit and such but in comparison to the treats and desserts i used to buy its much cheaper!!

X

I have found the cost of my weekly shop has risen alot - I do however as well as buying in my healthy stuff have to still buy in the unhealthy stuff for my husband/kids...... I'd rather they all ate what I eat but they all refuse point-blankly to do so! When I have tried Lidl in past - the offers were good but the quality wasn't of the fruit / veg I bought - maybe I was just unlucky.....

the cost of my shop has gone down, I am more selective in what I buy.

I make out meal plans and find that I freeze more.

Also, if there are any leftover potatoes / veg I generally keep them and use them in an omlette the next day

Back