Should week 2 be sooooo hard?

giraffegirl

Hey all - I am struggling with week 2! I had a great loss in week one of 8lbs and was really motivated - this week I am just CRAVING for anything and everything, even foods that I don't like. I'm not even hungry but my mind feels deprived in some way - and my stomach too! I had a really lovely casserole from the slow cooker yesterday evening - loads of lovely veg, pearl barley and chicken in it so there was no way that I should have been hungry but 20 minutes after I wanted to fill my face again with sweet stuff - I NEVER EAT PUDDINGS USUALLY! My main hardship seems to be bread - I have PCOS so my body doen't take kindly to carbs so I have made the decision to not eat bread at all as I know I have no willpower or control over it - I would rather abstain all together. I am even dreaming about bread at the moment - Gah! My mind is mad! I know its only a short term issue as the long term goal will be worth it but I am wondering if anyone else found their second week difficult?
Sorry to whine!!!

Im on week 2 aswell and it is alot harder this week, everything in my cupboards looks very tempting. If I am craving for something I usually have a little bit just to take the edge off and then I dont feel that I am depriving myself. I usually save up my syns for moments like these. :)

I'm lucky I've never felt deprived on SW the foods I now eat are very similar to what I used to eat, I've made just small changes.

Are you able to use your syns on something pre SW days you used to eat, would that help?

The beauty of SW is if you are hungry (really & not just want to eat) you can eat, so you could have had more casserole last night.

I'm not too sure, but I think last year sometime there was a thread about alternatives to bread, maybe you could do a search.

I find Yoghurts are good at tricking my head into thinking i've had a pudding - and I never normally crave puddings!

Don't forget your syns are there to be used to help satisfy cravings. Load up on all the things you're allowed, and re-read the book or magazine again - always gets me re-focused!

I think the second week is hard! In fact I nearly gave up (so glad I didn't). You perhaps haven't got rid of cravings for things you were eating and also it probably hasn't 'clicked' yet.

Just take one day at a time and you will find that you are doing it without much effort.

Good luck :)

Ok- if you are not hungry for free foods, you are not really hungry, so you are experiencing a craving. This is more difficult to deal with but here are some things I have found helped me:

Craving sweet things after a big meal usually meant I ate a lot of refined carbs- try and swap white bread/pasta/rice/noodles for wholgrain/wholemeal/brown alternatives as you don't get that 'sugar dip' afterwards

Think about why you feel unsatisfied- was the meal you just ate not as nice as you thought? Did you feel deprived when you were eating it? If so, look at new idea and recipes for things you actually want to eat- never settle for an 'ok' meal- make everything you eat fabulous, tasty and attractive (fairly easy on SW), so you always feel mentally satisfied

Also- week 2 and 3 are often pretty hard- this is because you have got over the 'new' excitement and motivation and suddenly your body realises that this lack of cr@p is not going to go away, and starts to wail a bit- shut your body up by eating lots of on-plan food and remembering why you are doing this- think of how fab you will look or how healthy you will feel or the activities you will be able to do without fear

Just keep at it- no-one said it was easy (otherwise we would all be skinny), but you CAN do this

xxxx

I've just started week three this morning. I found week two very hard. I once read somewhere it takes (I think it was) 28 days to form a new habit and have it seem natural. Just take it one day and one week at a time. Hopefully we'll both have finished our first month before we know it and eating the SW way will be a 'habit' then.

I have got rid of nearly everything that's too tempting! Luckily my OH eats what I eat, so no complaints. Yet...I find giving up bread hard too, there's nothing more that I love! But on green I can have it as 2HB's and sometimes have the extra slice as syns. I find that usually shuts the craving up. I think it's about having the right balance and focusing on what you can have. And using those syns!

I used to love bread, but i've switched to wholemeal pitta (asda ones are a HEB), and I find I don't miss proper bread as much now.

Yeah if you have a craving then try fixing it by either having something free or synning it...OR distract yourself, do something you need to concentrate on and use your hands for...

If I need sweet then I do chopped up fruit with yoghurt over the top or an alpen light bar (the choc orange ones are fit). My no no is crisps, can't touch them but I also love bread too so have been trying to replace that with pitta sometimes.

SW chips are a nice "naughty" food that are syn free too.

Ok- if you are not hungry for free foods, you are not really hungry, so you are experiencing a craving. This is more difficult to deal with but here are some things I have found helped me:

Craving sweet things after a big meal usually meant I ate a lot of refined carbs- try and swap white bread/pasta/rice/noodles for wholgrain/wholemeal/brown alternatives as you don't get that 'sugar dip' afterwards

Think about why you feel unsatisfied- was the meal you just ate not as nice as you thought? Did you feel deprived when you were eating it? If so, look at new idea and recipes for things you actually want to eat- never settle for an 'ok' meal- make everything you eat fabulous, tasty and attractive (fairly easy on SW), so you always feel mentally satisfied

Also- week 2 and 3 are often pretty hard- this is because you have got over the 'new' excitement and motivation and suddenly your body realises that this lack of cr@p is not going to go away, and starts to wail a bit- shut your body up by eating lots of on-plan food and remembering why you are doing this- think of how fab you will look or how healthy you will feel or the activities you will be able to do without fear

Just keep at it- no-one said it was easy (otherwise we would all be skinny), but you CAN do this

xxxx

Fantastic post! All amazing tips and advice from CP xxxxxxx

Week 2 is MUCH harder than Week 1... the first week you are very motivated and excited and normally have a good loss (sometimes massive loss), then Week 2 hits and you realise you are either in or out... you either continue on the plan, face the fact that if you want to continue to lose weight you must eat the free, Sfree, SS, FF and HE foods specified and syn the rest... or you can go back to how it was before, and watch that first loss go back on over time, plus more...

Ride this storm, and it will become routine... you'll find in time when you do slip up, it doesn't feel as 'good' as it used to... those sugary and fatty 'treats' stop being such a 'treat'... and starting to feel good about yourself and your body takes over the cravings... and the feeling of being slim, fit and healthy becomes the craving!

Keep going, you can do this, good luck this week xxxxxx

Cocktail princess has given great advice, especially if you have PCOS. White carbs should def be avoided. They have no health benefits at all, because they have been stripped of all their whole grain. When buying rice, pasta etc choose whole wheat/whole grain. Check the ingredient it should list whole grain as the main one, also avoid the instant or quick cook rices, as they are not as good.

There are some great low GI food lists online, familiarize yourself with these and make them your first choice from slimming worlds free food list. Low GI foods will keep you fuller for longer and stop those low sugar drops.

To each and every one of a you a huge thank you - everything you have said has made perfect sense! Week 3 starts friday so I'm going to forget week 2 and stop worrying so much. I shall enjoy the rest of it - sod the Bread Devil sitting on my shoulder, little blighter will soon get bored and if not I will be off to Asda for some wholemeal pitta!!

Wheh I get sweet cravings I like to have..

Meringue nest (Asda ones in 8 pack 2.5 syns) with lots of strawberries or raspberries drizzled in Vanilla syn free yogurt (Bio if poss).

Skinny Cow dipper lolly (3 syns)

Cooked brown rice soaked in HExA of soya (or normal) milk with sweetner and nutmeg added, and simmered til it's absorbed it, served with strawberry jam or a drizzle of golden syrup. (This is lovely and filling).

I used to have the Alpen light bars or smilar, but they give me tummy cramps and wind (lol) so they're off limits now.

Back