Side effects

steff92xx

Just wondering if there's anyone has had many effects to slim and save? And what are the common ones?

The biggest side effect is rapid weight loss ;) Seriously, the only side effects I've had have been from not quite doing it right, a bit of habit tinkering and it's sorted in the main. Constipation is a big one if you don't get enough water in, if you're inclined in that direction with regular food, then you might want to consider some further assistance in that area (I've found sugar free cough medicine with sorbitol works wonders!). Lightheadedness - add a little salt to your meals, this was a bit alien to me as I don't add salt to anything but it really made a difference with this. The only time I get it now is if I've had the bath a bit too hot and got out a bit too quick, 5 mins lying on the bed sorts it out.

The only one I've not been able to sort, and it's a chemical and biological response so it's quite a difficult one - feeling cold. You get that as there is a lack of thermogenic response in the body as it's not breaking down the volume of food it was before. When you've previously been a boiling bunny it's a weird one, extra thick fluffy socks helps. An effect of the rapid weight loss can also be a bit of sag in your face as your body takes a little time to catch up with the pounds lost, this is temporary, it does all catch up with itself.

Honestly and truthfully, I have to say that I've never felt so good as when on S&S, my skin is clear, my hair is full of life, I feel happy and have tons of energy. I know this is all about being in ketosis as I had a week off over Christmas and it all went with eating carbs again, but now I'm back in it and feeling marvellous again :)

I agree with noodles on the feeling cold and the lightheadedness bit. I found psyllium husks good for constipation. My hair did get thinner too - but nothing to worry about and it's getting thicker again now that I've finished. Another side effect I had was dramatic improvement in my blood glucose level - within 2.5 weeks of the diet I was off all of my diabetes medication...

My main side effect was feeling amazing! Quick weight loss and an overall feeling of wellness. I didn't feel cold (and I always feel cold). I didn't really get constipation either, because you are eating less in volume, less comes out the other side, but I never found it difficult to 'go'. If you have a history of depression (like me) then a VLCD can bring on episodes so you need to make sure you are aware of you're moods and are taking extra care of your mental health.

I get headaches a bit but that's just because I don't drink enough. Must try harder with that!

Yeah top tip it drink drink drink!

Thanks for all the replies, so glad there's not many nasty side effects, and I'm sure my weight loss with compensate for them headaches etc! Lucky for me I loveeee water, and drink a lot of it anyway, so it won't be such a drastic change

Xx

The getting into ketosis is the hardest for me right now I'm on day 2 and I have all the symptoms of the transformation process, the nausea, lathargic the lot, been in bed all day usually snap out of it by day 3 but its all easy sailing for me from there, most important thing for me is getting my mind set. My only bad habit is once in ketosis I'm not hungry and forget to have my papacks

good luck on your journey x

the main thing is that most side effects are manageable, cold -easy, wrap up! lightheaded -add some salt. also nearly everything is helped by drinking more water -except needing to wee more.. but thats unavoided, does settle down after a while.
doing lighterlife my hair started to fall out but once I started eating again, and it settled down and I still have a full and thick mane, I also was bleaching my hair at the time which wont have helped. (i know it wasnt the sole cause as ive bleached hair before)
you need to just take it easy as you settle into it, hot baths, relax in the evenings, early nights -you sleep like a log once you stop trying to knaw your bedcovers. oh and I had plenty of dreams about being at buffets etc and waking up drooling with aching jaw -wouldnt be surprised if I was a pillow down!
id also sleep next to some water and prepare to run to the loo first thing in the morning whilst drinking water...
all good fun in the name of not being fat! worth it !

I get very cold and I am naturally a warm person. Until s&s I didn't own a jumper!! I don't mind the cold, have a nice bath, put my onesie on and snuggle down with a book.

On the plus I have PCOS and until s&s I hadn't had a period for about 18 months. Within a month of s&s I'm as regular as clockwork!!

the main thing is that most side effects are manageable, cold -easy, wrap up! lightheaded -add some salt. also nearly everything is helped by drinking more water -except needing to wee more.. but thats unavoided, does settle down after a while.
doing lighterlife my hair started to fall out but once I started eating again, and it settled down and I still have a full and thick mane, I also was bleaching my hair at the time which wont have helped. (i know it wasnt the sole cause as ive bleached hair before)
you need to just take it easy as you settle into it, hot baths, relax in the evenings, early nights -you sleep like a log once you stop trying to knaw your bedcovers. oh and I had plenty of dreams about being at buffets etc and waking up drooling with aching jaw -wouldnt be surprised if I was a pillow down!
id also sleep next to some water and prepare to run to the loo first thing in the morning whilst drinking water...
all good fun in the name of not being fat! worth it !

Ha ha your post just made be burst our laughing :)

hehe :)
bad breath generally starts when in ketosis, but for me it was more a funny tasting mouth

Ok, yeah there is the bad breath, and the needing to pee like a rac horse, but mouth ash and a tongue scraper and sugar free gum when I was in close proximity to people combated the first and the second calmed down after a while.

I also needed less sleep (a good thing for me!) and was warmer once in ketosis (but freezing until then) than I am normally. I was also less tired. Th first 4 days before ketosis kicks in is the worst, as long as you can get through that it's great! It is only when you cheat and realise how horrid you physically feel that you realise how good the diet is! (I say this with a hot water bottle on my tummy because I have a dreadful bout of IBS due to Xmas over-indulgence, my IBS went away completely on the diet.

hehe :)
bad breath generally starts when in ketosis, but for me it was more a funny tasting mouth

Last time I did a vlcd I had a bit of both, bad breath and a manky taste in my mouth 24/7 I even looked into breath freshener I was so paranoid about it haha

I also get belly ache, -well constantly have- anyone else get this? its not so much hunger pangs more like ive pulled a muscle, but I havent.
maybe its my stomach saying, 'oh come onnnn whats going on!?'

I got that first time round, turned out to be wind. LOTS of wind!

I get wind -- especially from the bars.

New one for you............ Very wet trumps :ashamed000:

New one for you............ Very wet trumps :ashamed000:

Really? Make sure you drink plenty- it could be that the mineral content of the diet is upsetting your tum a bit, should settle down soon.

Back