simplest recipe for homemade soup

beccaharrison89

Gold Member
I need some helo with a really easy recipe for homemade soup,so i can make it and take some to work.
I havent a clue how to mke one and what to put in. I have a slow cooker is that easier to make one? Any help would.be great as going shopping later and can get my ingredients

I tend to just throw whatever veggies I got together with a stock cube or 2, I add a lot of chili and garlic to so Waters in it tastes virtually the same anyway after i blitz it with hand blender.

It all depends on taste, or wether or not you want to make it with meat or not, theres tons of soup recipies around thats easy to adapt to a low or even syn free meal

Do you have any preference for what sort of soup? Vegetable soup? Bean soup? Meat soup? Do you prefer it chunky or smooth?

tbh it's just frying some chopped onions, chucking in a load of chopped veg with some herbs/spices, stock & seasoning and leaving it to cook. It'll be fine in your slow cooker, yes.

You might be better of just browsing somewhere like BBC Good Food or uktvfood and picking one you like the sound of, almost any soup can be adapted to be SW friendly by omitting oils/flours/cream etc

Alternatively my food diary has endless soups and stews in it if you scroll through - - have a look and if theres anything you fancy let me know.

Theres also loads of threads on here about 'superfree soup' if you search, which is OK but most soup recipes are pretty superfree anyway and the stuff in 'official' recipe places is often more flavoursome - just replace anything non-superfree with something that is :)

I norm like vegetable soups and meaty soups. My food is always really plain i.never use seasonings etc.
Would u use frozen veggies or always fresh?
And would i just use like chicken stock or somethin?

Super easy - buy two bags of soup veg already diced. 2 veg stock cubes, half a packet of soup mix and throw it all into a large pot and fill to about 1inch below the rim with water and boil for 20 mins then turn off, put a lid on it, and leave for an hour or two and it will cook the rest itself! Its gorgeous - and if you find its too thick and not enough soup then just add more water once cooked! I make this in 4/5 mins and it makes loads! You could always chop up some left over chicken / turkey and throw it in too. No need to even blend!

Brocolli soup - three large spuds microwaved for 5/7 mins then peeled and diced. Throw into a large pot with 2 bags of frozen brocolli florets and 2 veg stock cubes. Lots of salt & freshly ground pepper. Boil for 30 mins r until brocolli and spuds soft. Blend and you'll thoroughly enjoy!

Anything will do tbh, soup is just... soup - bunging a load of stuff in a pan til its cooked! :D

- Fry some chopped onions (and a bit of crushed garlic if you want)
- Chop up a load of veg and chuck it in (whatever you fancy - potatoes, parsnips, carrots, swede, cabbage, cauliflower, leeks - absolutely anything you could possibly desire!)
- Chuck some meat in as well if thats what you fancy (You can brown it off first in another pan if you like, or just chuck it in if you cant be bothered)
- Cover it in stock (any stock is fine - stock cubes, them fancy stock pot things, stock powder, fresh stock - whatever, it doesnt matter). How much you add depends how watery you want it but veg let out a lot of water when you cook them anyway, so Id usually only just fill it just to the top of the veg.
- Chuck in whatever herbs you want, if you want them (bay leaf, parsley, thyme, mixed herbs - dried or fresh, doesn't matter)
- Season with salt & pepper, cover and simmer til its done, or leave it in the slow cooker if thats what you want to do.

When its done either eat it as it is, chunky, or whizz it if you want it smooth. If you want it smooth and its got meat in you'd have to whizz the base before you chucked the meat in usually.

Seriously theres nothing easier to make than soup! :)

I expect you would want at least SOME seasoning/herbs/whatever in cos JUST veg & water is pretty tasteless... :confused:

You can also throw in a tin of beans( not necessarily the baked kind)butterbean are nice, lentils or split peas most dried varieties will need to be soaked overnight though before cooking

Vm019 said:
Super easy - buy two bags of soup veg already diced. 2 veg stock cubes, half a packet of soup mix and throw it all into a large pot and fill to about 1inch below the rim with water and boil for 20 mins then turn off, put a lid on it, and leave for an hour or two and it will cook the rest itself! Its gorgeous - and if you find its too thick and not enough soup then just add more water once cooked! I make this in 4/5 mins and it makes loads! You could always chop up some left over chicken / turkey and throw it in too. No need to even blend!

Brocolli soup - three large spuds microwaved for 5/7 mins then peeled and diced. Throw into a large pot with 2 bags of frozen brocolli florets and 2 veg stock cubes. Lots of salt & freshly ground pepper. Boil for 30 mins r until brocolli and spuds soft. Blend and you'll thoroughly enjoy!

They both sound lovely thanku
I going to try the broccoli one i think but i aint gt a blender so going tto put it in slow cooker. I love soup in winter and will be nice to take to work too.

Thanks for all the replies ive gt some lovely ideas to try now.lukin fwd to making them
Im finding it hard to stick to sw at the mo with being pregnant im hungry all time so was thinking if i make soup etc if i gt hungry i wint snack on rubbish

I find the knorr gel stock pots the tastiest and easiest to use. :)

sw do a little soup book which is good, but when I make a veggie one I just shove it all in with 1 or 2 stock cubes and water and simmer. I didn't have a blender but bought a cheap hand one. I blitz it when cooked so still chunky but not as much so. or mush with a fork. I also often add a handful or two of split red lentils to thicken it and makes it filling :D

I have just attempted a soup and put it all in slow cooker on high about a hour ago.
I uses 2 chicken knorr gel stockpots and two veg stockcubes
Garlic
Onion
Carrot
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Diced potato

Does this sound ok ?

beccaharrison89 said:
I have just attempted a soup and put it all in slow cooker on high about a hour ago.
Garlic
Onion
Carrot
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Diced potato

Does this sound ok ?

Yep that sounds good! Although I'd use stockpots r stock cubes not both but then that's my preference- & only stick to veg ones cos hubby is a veggie :0) I love leek & potato too- easy thing with soup is to just put in what u expect- use stock cubes salt n pepper in all soups then add ur veg- for leek n potato just dice leeks & potatoes! I did carrot & lentil & yep just added carrot & red lentils! Lol never had a bad soup!

beccaharrison89 said:
Garlic
Onion
Carrot
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Diced potato

Does this sound ok ?

Mushroom soup- mushrooms onions and a few spuds!

I made a veg soup in the slow cooker over the weekend... pack of pre chopped leek, 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, 1 potato diced (didn't even peel it) and left over cherry tomatoes, cover with water and 2 chicken stock cubes for flavour with salt and pepper. Cooked on low for 8 hours and then blitzed with the blender... yummy and can freeze portions too.

Easy lentil soup

I make a very easy lentil soup, with 3 knorr ham stock cubes, lentils, carrots and onions. use a large pan, dissolve the stock cubes in the amount of boiling water mentioned on stock cube pack(you can add more water later if you want) I tend to rinse my letils in a sieve under cold water but I don't know if thats really necessary.Use about half pack and add to stock. Cook for a while to soften then add a finely chopped onion and a couple of carrots.Play around with this recipe and add other veg if you want, or more lentils .Keep an eye on it and give it a good stir to stop the lentils sticking on pan.cooks in about an hour. You can use split peas but they take a lot longer to cook.this was my mothers recipe but stock cubes were not invented then and she used a ham shank or bacon pieces which took a lot longer to cook!I must try it in slow cooker&see howit does.

This is what I keep in to make really easy soup...

Frozen casserole veg (carrot, onion, swede)
Garlic granules
Dried mixed herbs
Stock cube
Chopped tomatoes
Tomato puree
Lentils/ soup mix
Frozen meat (casserole beef etc)

These are all long-life products which you can keep in at all times and you can knock up a really tasty soup whenever you like :0)

Well i had my soup for dinner at work today, and i wad suprised how lovely it was,only prob being i would leave garlic out next time as ot was too strong.
I am made up as a have a few portions in tubs in freezer and can just pull out for work
So handy
Would love to try a ham off the bone soup

Hello Ladies :)

These soup recipes sound lovely and I will be trying them!!

Just a quick question, some of you add potato, would this not make the soup free, as its not a free food?

Lyns x

Back