Skeptical about Slimming world...

I never done WW but I love SW. It's the most freedom I've ever had on a 'diet'.

Me no bash bash ...heheheheheheh!!! just reporting what they have said... strange they said the same things though.

I personally agree with starlight that both are positive plans and it gives good choices for positive thinking about life changing decisions to get healthy and live live to full as long as possible.

Phil x

I find SW easy because i don't have to weigh anything too much (just my healthy extras) and i thikn counting points would mean i ate more high sugar things and would take time and alot more effort. I find Extra easy good as we can all eat as a family. Having said that my brother (who does WW and get great losses) would find SW really hard as he doesn't eat pasta, rice, or many veggies/salad or fruit, or yogurt so would miss out on lot of the superfree stuff. SW works for me and many others, but you need to stop counting points or you'll go mad! Good luck :)

I moved over from ww in April and I'm loving it. I got to the point with ww where I had lost 3.5 stone but wasn't losing any more and was finding it really difficult to stay within my points and I wasn't even having any 'treats'. Also, the big thing for me with ww was I gave up eating fruit becuase it was pointed. I don't go over the top with it but it's great to know I can have a banana or some grapes to snack on and not have to worry about it using up my points.

In my opinion, the way in which one loses weight, as long as it's healthy, is complete personal choice and one should be applauded for making a positive decision for a healthier lifestyle.

We could argue all day about the good and bad points of all diets. The bottom line is the ONLY way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you are taking in (having a calorific deficit). Weight Watchers, Slimming World, TFR diets and so on all do this, but in different ways.

For each individual it's a choice, whether you are looking for a plan to change your life - that you can stick to for life, or whether you just want to lose a bit of weight and then change your eating habbits thereafter.

As most people on here know I am a lifelong fan of SW and havn't tried WW, but it's not my place to judge someone else choice of making a positive decision to lose weight.

With regards to the original post;
How can something like pasta n' sauce from batchelors be free on SW extra easy, but on weight watchers if i was to eat a whole pack it would be almost half my allowed points for the day?

As others have mentioned, if you want to 'change diets' then you have to be in the mind set of the current plan you are following, try not to compare.

As I said before WW and SW have different ways of helping you achieve a calorific deficit. For example with WW products I notice the points are written on the packaging. Where a WW cake may be 1 point, therefore not a huge amount from your daily allowance (apologies I don't know the plan, nor the number of points allowed) it may be that the same product is 8 of your 15 daily 'syns'.

Good luck with SW

Natt xxx

P.S. Sorry for the long post!

yes thats true about syn values vs. points values. blue dragon stir fry pouches have almost no points on ww but are high in syns on sw. probably due to all the sugars in it.

ww only looks at calories and saturated fat. does sw calculate based on other stuff?

Have you given this thread a read? It explains a bit how Slimming World works and some of the basic "science" behind it.

SW free foods are worked out by calorie density, i.e how many calories for the volume and how they fill you up. For example say a choccy bar is 300 calories, yet it wont fill you up, you want to eat more (probably junk) Whereas you could have a large jacket potato and some baked beans for the same calories and it would fill you up and heck of a lot more than that choccy bar :)

Just to add my two pen'orth. I've done WW in the past and, for me, it just didn't cut the mustard. I found SW was much more workable for me others may feel differently and swear by WW, I've a friend who thinks I'm totally mad and she is constantly working out her ww points etc. We have both successfully lost weight though. What I'm trying to say is if it works for me then I don't question it, it doesn't matter 'how' it works just so long as it does IYSWIM. So if you're serious about SW just 'suck it and see' try to erase WW thinking from your mind and go with the flow, and if it's not right for you, hey , you gave it your best shot, right?

All diet plans are restrictive one way or another, WW on points, RC on fat, Atkins on carbs, SW on err, err... oh yes, things like bread, cereal, cheese, nuts, seeds and "treats".
The thing is not to compare them. They all work when followed and they all work when targets are reached as long as they are stuck to.

SW is a different mindset to WW and I won't repeat what the others have said because they are correct!

Suffice to say it worked, and still works, for me and I would recommend it!

Back