slimming world v weight watchers

I lost 2 stone 5 years ago with WW and I've put it all back on, with interest!! (Another 2 stone)

I tried SW when it first came out but only stuck it for a few weeks.
Im getting married in 7 months and this is make or break time.
I really hope I can stick to it this time. Hearing all the success stories is really encouraging :)

I've done both SW & WW over the years and much prefer SW (which I have done on/off for the past few years). When I did WW I found that I was always hungry on that diet for some reason and I felt that I never got enough points allocated, so I struggled with the diet concept. With SW I can eat so much more and find the SW a little more flexible and it works better for me. However, I hear the SW plan is changing and I do the 'old' Red day/Green day plan and that still works well for me- when I can stick to it!

Good luck everyone! :) x

Suppose you could still stick to what you know best and, as far as I can tell, I don't think the changes are huge. Please correct me, folks, if anyone knows different! :)

Kathy x

The changes are huge at all, for 'new members' joining they are not promoting red or green plans anymore, however if you know and have done them our consultant said theres no problem continuing them.
The new addition is called Extra Easy SP and is just an addition to the EE plan in that you fill your plate with only S and P foods (basically no carbs) and get 1HEXA, 2 HEXb's and still your 5-15 syns. its intended as a weight loss boost not as long term so its suggested 2 weeks max at any time, (although not for diabetics or pregnant women) although most are only doing it a few days a week and alternating with EE as a boost. Theres meal plans on the SW website for it. Ive been doing it 3 days and really enjoying it, couldnt do it long term as adore pasta, but for a post-xmas boost its great!

Definitely prefer Slimming World. All the free foods help you fill up :D

I think WW is good if you're someone who eats out a lot, or if you absolutely don't want to give any unhealthy food up - you can eat a McDonalds, for eg., and if your other meals are very low in points then you're still on plan and will lose weight.

I think SW is good if you want to learn how to eat healthily and build a better relationship with food. If you have binging issues, or lack of willpower, it's a much better plan, and I think it's a better plan for maintaining weight loss long-term. I have tried both plans (more than once...) and I think SW is far superior, although I do prefer the WW meeting format (though I did resent how much of a hard-sell it was with all their products!).

I think WW is good if you're someone who eats out a lot, or if you absolutely don't want to give any unhealthy food up - you can eat a McDonalds, for eg., and if your other meals are very low in points then you're still on plan and will lose weight.

I think SW is good if you want to learn how to eat healthily and build a better relationship with food. If you have binging issues, or lack of willpower, it's a much better plan, and I think it's a better plan for maintaining weight loss long-term. I have tried both plans (more than once...) and I think SW is far superior, although I do prefer the WW meeting format (though I did resent how much of a hard-sell it was with all their products!).
I've never been to a WW meeting...how is the format different? Just interested...thanks.

Well, I haven't been for a good few years, but last time I went, they do a weekly booklet with a theme - like eating out, or holidays, or exercise, or emotional eating etc etc - and the leader does a talk on it and takes questions. Then the leader asks how everyone's doing, and it's a case of hands up rather than everyone having to speak/reveal their weight loss or gain. If you're shy (like me) it's a much more comfortable way of doing a meeting, and I liked the focus of the weekly theme and the booklet to take home with hints and tips written down. SW group can be really useful, but sometimes it can be extremely tedious, particularly if a lot of people stay but no one has any good tips that week, I think!

When I went to Weight Watchers the lady who ran it had a flip chart and used to scribble stuff down that was important for that days session,it was fun as we all got to sit round and find out ideas and swap stories about our week but a bit too much like being back at school.

I did ww before and lost 6lbs in 10 weeks. When i last did slimming world i lost 6lbs in a week! Its my first week back on slimming world after over a year and hoping for the same results this time round :)

They're both good plans but it just depends on what you prefer I suppose. I have lost weight on both of them.

Back