Slimming World V Weight Watchers

Ive merged this with several other threads which have asked the same question. Im sure all the opinions will be the same as previously :)

I'll say what I always say....

All diets works. All diets give the same results. All diets start in the head!!

What suits one may not necessarily suit another. It's about what fits in best with your life.

Why doesn't WW work for you? Why will SW be any different?

I have only just started sw after doing ww and being successful at it, but gave up put weight on and fancied a change. I have been a bit of a cal counter in the past so feel like im cheating with sw, first wi with sw tomoz so fingers crossed.

Pros ww
Pick exactly what u want to eat, within your points allowance
You get a weekly allowance to save for nights out etc
Fruit n veg is free
Encourages portion control
You can use micro meals and not use all your points doing so. So the odd quick meal
Website is great
Monthly direct debit

Cons
Portion control lol
no real unlimited foods bar fruit n some vegs
Only apple app for phone! Grr
You could eat a pretty unbalanced diet i.e spend all ur points on rubbish!

Sw pros
Plenty of free food very unlikely u will go hungry
Better 'awards' for weightloss
Plenty of free meals which are v filling
Still have treats everyday using syns
Promotes cooking from scratch using fresh ingredients
Superfree foods, you eat lots of fruit and veg (ive never had so much)

Sw cons
Website not great.. be good to search for free recipes for extra easy etc, would be good to show u free branded food without having to input specific names.. obv want u to buy books
Cant pay monthly direct debit
You need to plan plan plan!!
Some meals take a while.
Classes dont take switch, ok not a biggie, but im always in such a hurry lol
I personally feel theres not a lot of quick meals

Well thats my opinion im sure others have very diff opinions!!

interesting thread this one; i've done both weight watchers and slimming world (although i only did WW from home and don't think i did it properly haha), but i think the freedom of having so many free foods on SW is great, and the fact thta you don't have to weigh much is good too :)

Well ive done ww and sw, tbh i think any diet works if you stick to it. For me i loved the fact that with ww i could eat whatever i wanted within my points allowance but i ended up eating lots of ready meals and crisps and sweets and stuff like that, that was just me , i know people out there will be successful with ww and do it the healthy way. I find that i am always satisfied with sw, never hungry and i find it works well for the rest of the family too, i can tend to stick to sw for longer. Think it just depends on the person and what works for them.

I've done WW, felt miserable and put on weight despite sticking to it 100% and feeling hungry all the time, so I don't believe any diet works as long as you stick to it.

I have done both plans and lost on both.

Ww was a nice change and I enjoyed the swap- but long term I had more success doing sw and therefore feel happier on sw plan.

I'm currently pregnant and following sw :)

I've done both but I really didnt like WW, I lost weight on it but I really didnt have the time to weigh things out and count up my points. I find it easier on SW as I know what my free foods are, can fill myself up during the day and then count my syns out at the end of the day.
For my lifestyle, SW is much easier and I do stick to it because I feel there are no restrictions for me, but everybody is different.

I think its all down to a combination of how your mind works (methodical or not, if you know what I mean) and what fits in with your lifestyle

I prefer SW because you don't really have to think about it too much. When I tried WW, I couldn't be bothered to keep counting ProPoints. However, I can see that with WW you would be able to vary your diet a lot more.
They currently do a Filling and Healthy plan which I believe is a bit like SW, with a list of free foods and 49 PP a week to be used on extra treats etc

I meant that with WW you can basically eat whatever you like within your PP allowance. On SW, I sometimes feel a little restricted as to which breakfast cereals I can have as a HEB, or the fact that if I want white bread it has to be synned. I also love rice cakes, and although they have the same calories as ryvitas, you can't have them as a HEB. For me, SW is more doable in the long term, but even then it's unlikely that I will be able to stick to it for life, simply because of the restrictions.

I tried both. I did WW a few years ago when it was the Discovery Plan. I lost just over a stone but I found it too restrictive having to weigh everything. I tried WW again at the beginning of the year when it was the new plan and I didn't get on with this at all, even MORE measuring (i.e. not just cals and fat any more but now protein carbs etc) that was just too much hassle for me and I actually didn't lose anything in the couple of weeks I tried ProPoint for but worse of all I was starving! The other thing was I kept going on the message board on their online website and oh my goodness what a depressing place. Everyone was just moaning about the new plan and that did little to make me want to perserve. I've only been doing SW for about 5 weeks but what a breath of fresh air! I am so full up, I don't have to weigh everything and the weight is coming off without me feeling like I am on a diet. One thing I will say is that the WW online content is soooo much better than SW, as is the phone app.

I can't really comment on which is best, as I have only ever dieted once - which is now. I chose Slimming World simply because my Mum and her 2 sisters have been "on WW" (and I use the term "on" fairly loosely) for the best part of 10 years and between them have probably gained about 2 stone in that time, maybe more. I didn't even really look into it for this reason. Since joining SW I have lost 8lbs in 2 weeks and I don't feel like I have had to change my diet massively. I am really enjoying finding new and exciting free foods and I never ever thought losing weight could actually be this easy!

jezzi999 said:
Also particularly if I had a binge on WW and used all my points then felt I couldn't eat anything else, even if the binge was at breakfast time.

Whereas with SW even if I use all (or more) of my points for the day I can still eat free foods.

(although I understand WW has changed a lot now so maybe this is different now)

I had that issue with weight watchers but that was three years ago so I think they have free foods now too? I'm enjoying SW far more than i did WW or CC as its so much easier to fit round family life!! And I'm loving the fact that I'm rediscovering how to cook. I'd gotten into a terrible habit of canned packet and jars!!! Even for the silly stuff like pasta. Cooking from scratch is so much more fun. But I'm lucky and usually have the time to pre prep dinner before I have to collect the kids. If you miss the convenience of micro meals on WW then you need to batch cook some SW alternatives and fill that freezer!! Best of both worlds then!!

Something I have come to realise and accept recently is that there is in my opinion, one diet out there that is perfect for us all, not one diet fits all. For me its WW, I always come back to it, and I have accepted this last week that I need to stick with it, stick to plan and then move onto maintenance when I get to goal - its the diet for me, the one that fits best in my life, the one I am comfortable with. It won't be right for the next person and SW will be right for them. Its very much an individual choice.

I agree its an individual choice and different diets suit different people I also think that the diet that suits the person can change though.

I was SW through and through and lost about 9 stone on it but found it didn't suit me for maintenance and am happier with WW currently. I never ever thought I would say that! My lifestyle has changed as in I work different hours etc and feell that ww fits more flexibly with my family life currently.... I too just need to stick to it! ;)

I've always cooked from scratch so another plus point for SW for me. Most of my ingredients are "free" so only have to track any special additions. On WW much harder to work out homemade stuff, easier to eat ready made/packet stuff.

which they then market and sell to you

The supermarket shelves are full of WW branded foods, but a quick check up on the nutritional content shows very little if any variations from the much cheaper supermarket brands. I have been much more pleased with the Tescos and Morrions own eat smart ranges of food.

WW don't always push their supermarket range well not in my experience. Our class leader only ever brought a WW product in if she personally really liked it or it was brand new. She was justvas likely to bring in Tesco or Morrisons stuff. In fact she frequently showed supermarket equivelants which were lower in points or cheaper than the WW alternative. In fact that was my experience at 2 different classes

Back