slimming world v weightwatchers

:confused: I think the fact youve asked this in the SW forum its kinda clear what answer your going to get ;) I dont think anyone here will say they prefer WW

However ask it in the WW section the answer will be very very different lol

Thats a good point starlight!!!!
However, i have tried both and I do like them both! I am just the person who gets so close then decided 'i can go alone' then fail cos i have no1 to answer to.
I only rejoined slimming world this time cos my mate was going. I am so glad she mentioned it otherwise i would still be unhappy!

Starlight said:
:confused: I think the fact youve asked this in the SW forum its kinda clear what answer your going to get ;) I dont think anyone here will say they prefer WW

However ask it in the WW section the answer will be very very different lol

Never thought of that! Lol

well i did both and have decided it depends on the kind of person and how you want to eat.

i lost weight with slimming world initially and love it - and i think i have followed the principles for life really (frylight, dry frying onions and peppers etc). however the thing with slimming world is its great if you want to eat healthy but if your into treats its harder as you only get 5 - 15 syns for the treats (which equates to 100-300 cals of treats).

weight watchers worked really well for me when i was losing my baby weight, because i breastfed i got extra points, if i did exercise i got extra points and if i ate healthily (slimming world style) i found that i used less points and i could have a decent piece of cake and still be within my points allowance.

my friend has just changed from ww to sw and cant get her head around why she doesnt get extra syns for exercise (as u do on ww). well - you can have extra food, you could even have a second dinner if you were starving but it doesnt equate to extra syns so you cant have more alcohol that evening!

personally am going to stick with sw, am at target now anyway. i want a second child and i would probably use ww to lose my baby weight if i am as drawn to cake as i was last time!!

I am enjoying SW more than WW as I find I am eating more healthily with SW and also I'm not hungry, I found I was always hungry on WW.

However, I lost weigh quicker on WW so not sure if SW will work as well for me initially but hopefully it will be better for the long haul as I found WW very difficult to sustain for longer than a few months.

x

I've done both and prefer SW. Had been doing WW since about January but really couldn't get in the swing of it. I feel I can eat better on SW and I'm quite happy with my weightloss so far. With WW I was always over my points but can easily stay within my syns.
Many of my friends lose well on WW but it just wasn't for me.

Sw I lost 6 ST. 17 yrs ago after childbirth. I've tried WW over the years, was starving ,I hated weighing everything. I found it restricting. I found it daunting to have points taken away as I got smaller. And I hardly lost any weight at all. Didnt like the Con,found her clicky Hated it.

I loved SW first time,I ended up money lady. I love it this time and I've ended up money lady lol. I find the simple rules easier to live with than weighing. I know it inside put so don't need much thought. And I lose lots of weight.
I've lost 19.5 LB in 8 weeks ;)

I tend to like both plans at different points in my life lol when I'm very busy and out all the time I love the freedom of WW however I feel Sw suits my body better I just hav to make an effort to plan and cook more. I think they all work it's how life is treating us at the time lol at the moment I can't imagine every doing Ww again lol but u never know lol

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have done WW in the past and got a good loss on it,but its so restricting!
This time I tried pro points for a while and found it difficult as I was making myself different meals and to be honest I was starving!
This time I have a fair bit more to lose (Damn baby weight) and a family so am doing slimming world as it fits in with everyone elses eating habits with a minor tweak and Im not depriving myself too much.

However, I think WW works better on me, I get the losses. SW its slow going but Im going to stick at it and see this time.

I guess it depends...Im a volume eater, and slimming world doesnt really restrict this however weight watchers does. I think thats why it works better for me. If you just eat the wrong things then I think slimming world would be more beneficial.

I too have tried both plans.

Back in 2004 I lost just under 6 stone on weight watchers. It has all gone back on since though!!

For me, at the moment, I prefer SW simply because it restricts me more. With only 5-15 syns there is only so much "naughty" food you can have where as with WW points (the old system, not this pro-points one) I found I could eat so much more treat wise.

I did find WW easier when out and about, say for Mcd's or something. I have always found it to be jacket potato and beans when out and about on SW. Don't really eat out so much now but tend to go for carvery's or roast dinners if I do.

With regards to the points system as well, I always did so well with the old points system and just couldn't get to grips with it when they changed it to the new pro-points system.

Anyway, SW is working for me at the moment so SW all the way!!!!

Last edited:
I can see the merits to both plans. ww is good for learning portion control, and sw is good in terms of healthy eating.

At the end of the day both plans can still be abused... you do still need an element of control in sw or else you won't lose weight, and on ww you can end up spending your points on nothing but junk.

My personal favourite is the old weightwatchers discover plan (for weight loss) but I think I need to do sw to learn to eat better :)

I have done both WW and SW many times. Obviously, being here, I prefer SW.
My mum does WW and she told me yesterday that they now have to count 1 point for Oxo cubes. Weird!

I prefer sw as I find with weight watchers I end up using too many points on treats and cut back on my meals in order to do so. This ultimately means I am not breaking any of the habbits that caused me to gain weight and I am hungry a lot and then end up breaking the diet. I think ww is a good plan if you use your points wisely but for someone like me there is too much freedom.
I love sw and overall I think it has to be better for our bodies as processed food is limited to the syns allowance. Its great to know that I can always have something to eat if I am hungry, I hated having used all my points and not been able to eat any more or feeling I was breaking my diet if I did eat.
Sw does take more planning though but its worth it as it doesnt feel like a diet at all!

Well I've never tried WW and tbh I don't think I could cope with all the weighing and counting (maths not being my strong point :D)

However, I love SW and I'm on the EE Plan. It's definitely easy and so flexible. it allows me to eat what food I like and fits in with my work schedule and I'm NEVER hungry. Most of all it's not like a diet...that's why so many people can't get their head around it...because it doesn't come across like a diet.

I doubt mixing and matching SW and WW plans would work though as they are at odds with one another and personally couldn't be bothered with working out which bit was which.

I guess it's all a matter of what suits you and your body and if it brings about weight loss then go for it. :scale:

I've done both...

Last year I lost 1st 6lbs on ww before my wedding. I never made it to target as I have up before my wedding day. I don't regret it was in the 10's and happy with how my dress looked. I soon piled all the weight back on...

I joined SW 22 weeks ago and I am happy to say I have lost 2st 5lbs and I am only 1.5lbs away from target. The best thing is, I am still in love with SW. I cook so much more and I'm still finding new and exciting food/recipes that I haven't tried before. I vow to keep going to group as a target member which is something I have never achieved before

I tried WW earlier this year and it was ok. I fail at portion control. A "serves 4" recipe from WW would serve 2, so I'd have to double point every dinner and it just felt like a waste of points, especially when you're like "this is chicken! it's FREE on SW!!" lol!

The consultant didn't really give me any support either. She was always going to get back to me on things I asked but then she never would. So naaah.. WW wasn't for me. SW all the way:D

i tried weightwatchers several times before sw and altho i did lose weight i was miserable and starving the whole time!!!! i mean really,really starving!!
i have a huge appetite and sw caters for that without leaving me feeling deprived! i obvioulsly love sw and for this reason highly recommend it to everyone.

Ive found this thread interesting as I lost 42lbs on WW years ago.
But I've regained all the weight and I've lost patience with all the points counting. It changed at the beginning of the year and has just changed again.
I joined SW last year but was really disappointed with my weight loss. It was rubbish, though not so much emphasis was put on the 1/3 super free then. I've just rejoined and I've been concentrating on the super free this time around.
However, I still only lost 1.5lb at my first weigh in and was hugely disappointed. But .... My period was due and actually started properly 24 hours after WI and although I don't like to blame time of the month for poor weight loss, I do wonder if that contributed?
My sister has just had a first week weight loss of 5lb. Of course, I'm thrilled for her but it just highlights my own disappointment. I don't understand how people can have massive losses consistently and wonder if I'm doing something wrong...
I have my second weigh in tomorrow.
Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a novel :)

Ive found this thread interesting as I lost 42lbs on WW years ago.
But I've regained all the weight and I've lost patience with all the points counting. It changed at the beginning of the year and has just changed again.
I joined SW last year but was really disappointed with my weight loss. It was rubbish, though not so much emphasis was put on the 1/3 super free then. I've just rejoined and I've been concentrating on the super free this time around.
However, I still only lost 1.5lb at my first weigh in and was hugely disappointed. But .... My period was due and actually started properly 24 hours after WI and although I don't like to blame time of the month for poor weight loss, I do wonder if that contributed?
My sister has just had a first week weight loss of 5lb. Of course, I'm thrilled for her but it just highlights my own disappointment. I don't understand how people can have massive losses consistently and wonder if I'm doing something wrong...
I have my second weigh in tomorrow.
Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a novel :)

The scales don't always represent whats going on inside. Have you tried keeping measurements as well? You're on the right track and thats whats most important!!! TOTM can affect you as some people will have a bit of water retention.

You're doing great so just keep at it :) xx

I find the difference between the weightwatchers leaders and the sw consultants astounding. SW c's actually care.... most c's don't mind you texting them if you've got difficulty with the plan or anything. Weightwatchers leaders couldn't be any less interested.. they feel more like cold corporate selling agents rather than weight loss mentors. sw is a lot less about the point of sale and actually helping people :)

Back