Green Days Slimming world veteran back again but pregnant and down......

Megumi

Hello

Been through Slimming Worlds doors several times over the last 8 years. Last time went from 15.12 to 12.5 in 6 months (late 2010) in order to try to conceive. Has a rubbish 2011 involving coming off antidepressants (to conceive healthily) which led to being signed off with stress then leaving my job, getting pregnant then miscarrying :(

By new years I'd gained back a stone which I thought wasn't too bad considering! Just started to diet in January (calorie controlled), lost a few pounds and discovered I was pregnant again. Yea! However, stress of possible misscarriage then nausea and tiredness (without any other emotional crutches I used to have such as cigs and beer!) means I have been eating for england, literally.

Finally weighed myself yesterday and am 14.3. Was 13ish end of Jan so that's over a stone at 20 weeks :( Cannot fit into any maternity trousers in high street shops, even size 20 and feel like hideous lump. Partner keeps saying it doesn't matter as I'm pregnant but I know (have 3 already) how hard labour is when you're bigger and how hard it is to be motivated afterwards when tired and busy. Plus, I need to be able to wear clothes!

Feeling pretty anxious a lot of the time but have no intention of using medication whilst pregnant or breastfeeding so wondering - can it be done :) I just want to limit the amount I gain. Sorry for the outpouring of hugely personal stuff.

Day one down and no issues, decided after trying to research that 1 or 2 extra A's or B's made sense plus upto 15 syns. Now I don't drink I'm confused about what to spend them on though....in the past I always saved them for weekend drinks, maybe a takeaway but I want to eat a regular amount every day now so that's a bit weird as never got to grips with chocolate or crisps on a diet. Shared a packet of custard creams with the kids today so only got 4 which was the idea. Going to attempt the quiche thing tommorrow as never tried it and need something new to cook.

Hey Megumi, congratulations on the pregnancy and commiserations that you are struggling.

Why not try incorporating your syns into your meals - either by using oil for cooking, or sauces with your meals, or having foods that have syns in anyway? If you dont do choc and crisps, its one way of doing it!! Do see your GP about your anxiety issues though, even if you dont want to medicate they may be able to refer you for stress management or perhaps some counselling that could help you cope better. Your anxiety is totally understandable in the circumstances, and I am sure some reassurance would be helpful.

Hello and congrats on your pregnancy. Well done on your previous weight loss as well, doing so well in 6 months shows what you can do :)

I was target when I got pregnant and have put on 2 stone in the 32 weeks. I dont want to put on more that the maximum recommended of 35 pounds though (but this week has been awful, my husband has been away - he gets back today!! My 2 year old has been sick, my back kills and to be honest I have ate utter rubbish.... and by rubbish i mean yesterday i ate a packet (one of the share packs of chocolate raisons, some party food, a cake, strawberries and ice cream, more cheese that a HE)... if yest was a one off it wouldnt be so bad but every day has been like that this week....

but i said to my hubby last night that from today i am being good (at least til friday at weigh in)!!

Anyway wanted to tell you my situation as well. I am pregnant with my 2nd child. I got pregnant with my first at almost a stone more than I weighed when I fell pregnant with this one. I was happy, didnt care about my weight gain, was glowing etc etc.... i totally embraced pregnancy (and yes when I had her I was 2 stone overweight and still was 6 months later - well actually it was more like 3 stone as i was a stone overweight when conceived with her anyway).

Then when we started trying for this one I got pregnant quick, had a miscarriage and I totally understand you putting on weight because the only way I can describe it was I spiralled out of control. I drank every night (hubby didnt mind that bit) not excessively but say a half bottle of wine a night, maybe also a shot of rum with diet coke or something similar....
and food wise I ate rubbish and I mean absolutely rubbish.... whereas I always follow the slimming world principles even when not trying - eg dry frying, lean meats and fish, plenty of vegetables, try for plenty of fruit
instead i ate chocolate, sweets, crisps (am not even keen of crisps really), id go get a takeaway for lunch at the chippy etc etc

It was like my body had failed me and I had no respect for it, I didnt care what went into it.... i was devastated. Luckily I had a good friend who I talked things through with who suffered a miscarriage 6 months earlier and she helped me through it. Also luckily I got pregnant on the next cycle (i wasnt trying, in fact I only had sex twice that month as I wasnt in the mood following the miscarriage). as I said I was spiralling out of control and one early evening we went to a friends for drinks (it was during the day) and I got very drunk on wine before we walked home... well that night was when i got pregnant haha

i knew within 3 days (i just knew) - and unlike my first pregnancy I am nowhere near as happy. Up until 16 weeks I think I was suffering depression. Sounds really ironic as i really wanted the baby but I just was too scared to feel anything. I pinned my hopes on feeling better after the 12 week scan and was devastated I still felt the same. My husband wanted to tell everyone and I didnt.

I told my midwife and she was a bit disinterested telling me they do a depression check at 28 weeks!! She said it was common to feel like this after a miscarriage. I didnt want to discuss it with my friend who also had the miscarriage as she was (and still is suffering).

By 16 weeks I started to feel better (and when I found out we were having a boy at 20 weeks I started to get a bit more excited). Not like with my little girl tho, by 26 weeks the room was complete and all i was waiting for was her....

I am sure part of it was that i wasnt constantly thinking of my weight gain, just embracing it. But its hard not to when u worked so hard in the first place to lose weight. I feel better now, really excited.... am 32w +4d today and yest I sorted a lot of the babies room out (Its not complete but I made a good start and it feels like progress. I have 2 weeks left of work and then I can crack on with all the stuff I want to do before he makes an appearance.

So dont be too hard on yourself - a stone gain in 20 weeks isnt too bad. :) Plus if you know the principles you can get some of the weight off just by following it for a few weeks and then you might be saying "gained 12 pounds in 22 weeks" :)

Btw there is a slimming world pregnancy thread as a sticky. we dont talk about slimming world that much mind.... but come and join :)

MadameLaMinx said:
Hey Megumi, congratulations on the pregnancy and commiserations that you are struggling.

Why not try incorporating your syns into your meals - either by using oil for cooking, or sauces with your meals, or having foods that have syns in anyway? If you dont do choc and crisps, its one way of doing it!! Do see your GP about your anxiety issues though, even if you dont want to medicate they may be able to refer you for stress management or perhaps some counselling that could help you cope better. Your anxiety is totally understandable in the circumstances, and I am sure some reassurance would be helpful.

I saw a counsellor through my GP during a very stressful pregnancy and i found it very helpful. Good luck.

Geordie_lass21, your post just made me weep, possibly not what you wanted but in a good way :) it's weirdly comforting to know you're not the only person who feels a certain way.

I think it's taken my partner a really long time to come to terms with the miscarriage too. It's his 1st baby (my 4th) and he's not particularly expressive emotionally. He didn't really even mention this pregnancy till after the 1st scan which was at 14 weeks. That was hard.

At my booking I was expecting the midwife to mention my weight as my BMI was 30 but she didn't say anything. Got to have a glucose test but my brother is type 1 diabetic so I expected that anyway. I did fess up about the prozac but I find it very difficult to tell them I'm not ok as some days I'm fine so I'm down as being happy happy on my notes! Maybe I'll wait for them to ask about the weight gain and then be all....'well actually....'

My weight issues are very much related to control and it's difficult to feel in control when you're pregnant full stop, no matter what else is going on. Anyway - having a day to myself today as partner is away and kids at their dads so cooking and relaxing and smiling. Cheers for the words of support x btw, the quiche looks vile but I'm giving it a go

Sorry I didnt mean to make you cry but wanted to tell you there are others who feel the same. Mainly because initially I kept how I felt to myself. I was too embarrassed - to say to someone you are feeling really down because your pregnant feels like you are saying you dont want the baby (which I know it is not the same, as I totally want the baby but for months I felt completely down).

I think all men must respond differently to a miscarriage. My husband wasnt even phased by it as in his mind it wasnt really a baby at that point. However my friend she is still struggling and so is her husband (and there miscarriage was about 15 months ago).

Anyway - how have you found the first few days on slimming world. Now my husband is back I am back on slimming world... although its 5.30am and I have already had 2 slices of toast with low fat spread and a banana. plus a coffee..... I should be still asleep as i am exhausted but for some reason i cant sleep! I have been awake sometime between 2 and 3 (i remember clock being 2 something, then 3 something so maybe i was asleep in between) but then i tossed and turned trying to get comfortable, got up with my daughter a few times and heard her on the monitor as she was unsettled. So today is going to be a hard day at work!!

Oh well - got my new freezer turning up today (its for the utility room, the space where the tumble drier would normally go. Am going to batch cook in prep for the baby when I go on maternity leave. So will make casseroles (I love casseroles even in summer) that serve 4. Have 2 portions (me and hubby) and freeze 2 portions.

I weighed myself this morning and I reckon whilst my husband has been away I have put on 3lbs (in a week). I do want to rein it in and drop 2 of them by Friday as otherwise I have only got 8lbs left to my max of 35lbs that I am allowing myself to gain.... (I have 7.5 weeks left plus say 1.5 weeks if late) plus i know it can be done because of the rubbish I ate this week.

Back