slow cooker newbie- recipes needed please!!

goth girl

hiya,

i got a slow cooker for xmas and although i have managed to do stew and chilli in it i was wondering if anyone has any recipes suitable for sw (not fussy which plan)?

i have seen people say you can cook whole chickens and gammon joints in them but how??????

also are there any books that you would recommend?

any help very much appreciated!! CLAIRE X

To cook whole chicken,just brown in frypan with spray oil then put in slow cooker with some pepper and garlic ,put lid on wait couple of hours ,all done,moist soft and perfectly cooked.

I cook joints in my slowcooker i just rub the meat with seasonong put half a mug of water in the pot then add the joint and cook on low for 6-8hrs

I cook chicken with a lemon and garlic in the cavity, and despite not being fried first it does go brown and crispy. brisket is nice too and a small gammon joint won't probly need as long and can be cooked in apple juice/honey (syn-able obviously).

I will never cook a chicken in the oven again the meat is so tender and tastes so ......chickeny :)

theres loads of recipes on the web but I have often found books disappointing, you can adapt a lot of recipes for the slowcooker but I reduce the liquid content by half when using non slowcooker recipes as theres no evapouration with a slowcooker. Lamb and apricot tagine is a fave in our house!

enjoy your slowcooker :)

oh well :)

someone else may find the info useful

I put my gamon joint in with a bottle of diet coke and cook it all day, It just falls to bits and tastes sweeter.

oh well :)

someone else may find the info useful

I've just bought a brisket joint and was wondering how to cook it. Thanks to your post I'm going to slow cook it so it was very useful, thanks! :D

I've had a slow cooker for ages and never knew you could cook a whole chicken in it!!! Blimey, can't wait to get home and give it a try.

Sprinkles said:
I've had a slow cooker for ages and never knew you could cook a whole chicken in it!!! Blimey, can't wait to get home and give it a try.

I cooked a large chicken in mine last week. I had it on med for 7 hrs with an inch of water. I found it fell to pieces and was a bit dry. But all the bones kind of fell apart as well and I had to really pick them out. I won't cook a whole chicken again though as I like the oven better. I often buy brisket and that just melts on the knife.

Back