Slow Cooker

I have a few. Do you fancy summat wi stew beef wi a little bit of kick? Or maybe chilli type one wi stew beef? Let me know & I'll post it. If anyone has one for slow cooker wi chicken tho that wud be helpful x

Serves 4
1 tsp ground all spice
2 cloves
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 red chilli, finely chopped
500g stew beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 pt beef stock
400g chopped tomatoes canned

First 5 items I crush together in a pestle then chuck everything in slow cooker & leave for as long as you want. I worked it out as 6 PP as I use 0 PP stock. 15 min before serving you can add 40g of plain grated choc which just gives it an extra mmmmm. That is an extra 1 PP. Serve wi a jkt spud or wedges. You can also add extra chilli or garlic but I like it just as it is. Enjoy x

Just had the beef & Tom Schwartz one & it was really yummy. It was 3 PP for whole pkt & then just ur beef on top of that & I had it with roasties. It was lovely to come home to

I've just prepared tomorrow nights slow cooker tea that I've pinched off a Schwartz website. In it I've put
3 large chicken breasts( will put in in morn)
120g fresh toms chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 onion chopped
200ml chicken stock
2 tbsp honey
Half tsp turmeric
Tsp cumin
Tsp coriander
Tsp cinnamon
Tin chickpeas
Smells absolutely divine but may add tin of toms in morn as theres not alot of sauce & don't want it to dry up. If served between 4 I work it out as 8 PP. May serve wi cous cous as it's a tagine. I'll report back tues eve on it's success x

Philly Chicken with Pasta

This is a recipe that a lady has posted on her facebook group

Serves: 4
cooking oil spray
4 (115g) skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
4 tablespoons water
Italian seasoning to taste
1 clove garlic, pressed
225g cream cheese, softened
1 (295g) tin cream of chicken low fat condensed soup
75g mushrooms, chopped
225g spaghetti
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Preparation method
Prep:20 mins | Cook:5 hours
1. Spray the pan of a slow cooker with cooking oil. Place chicken breasts in pan. Combine Italian seasoning and water in a small bowl. Pour over chicken; sprinkle with garlic, cover and cook on Low 4 hours.
2. After 4 hours, whisk softened cream cheese and cream of chicken soup together in a bowl. Pour over chicken; stir in mushrooms. Cover and cook on Low for 1 additional hour.
3. Fill a large saucepan with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the spaghetti and return to the boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 12 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
4. To serve, spoon chicken and sauce over hot cooked pasta and sprinkle with parsley.

I replaced the cream cheese with philly light, worked it out to be about 11-13pp per portion

galaxy-girl said:
I've just prepared tomorrow nights slow cooker tea that I've pinched off a Schwartz website. In it I've put
3 large chicken breasts( will put in in morn)
120g fresh toms chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 onion chopped
200ml chicken stock
2 tbsp honey
Half tsp turmeric
Tsp cumin
Tsp coriander
Tsp cinnamon
Tin chickpeas
Smells absolutely divine but may add tin of toms in morn as theres not alot of sauce & don't want it to dry up. If served between 4 I work it out as 8 PP. May serve wi cous cous as it's a tagine. I'll report back tues eve on it's success x

If anyone's interested I added tin of toms & doubled up on spices. Rest of family had cous cous wi there's & it was blummin lovely x

Pork with Chorizo & Peppers

350g Pork fillet (trimmed and cut into 1 cm slices)
2 sliced red onions
1 crushed garlic clove
50g sliced chorizo
2 level teaspoons smoked paprika
2 deseeded red pepper (sliced)
400g can chopped tomatoes

Total ProPoints = 17, Serves 4, so that is 4ppts each

Found this recipe online and just threw everything in the slow cooker on low for about 6 hours, was delicious

NeedsMotivation said:
Pork with Chorizo & Peppers

350g Pork fillet (trimmed and cut into 1 cm slices)
2 sliced red onions
1 crushed garlic clove
50g sliced chorizo
2 level teaspoons smoked paprika
2 deseeded red pepper (sliced)
400g can chopped tomatoes

Total ProPoints = 17, Serves 4, so that is 4ppts each

Found this recipe online and just threw everything in the slow cooker on low for about 6 hours, was delicious

That sounds lovely & so easy too. Will give this a try x

Man, I am sooo buying a slow cooker...I'm sure I was drooling reading these recipes!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

anradharc said:
Man, I am sooo buying a slow cooker...I'm sure I was drooling reading these recipes!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I really really love mine. I go to butchers on a weekend to buy stew beef & chicken in bulk. Then I just add diff spices etc for diff meal every day. Yest was a spag Bol inspired one but with stew beef instead of mince. I don't know why but mince just dunt taste right in slow cooker. I turn my slow cooker on before I go to work in morn & it's ready when I come home. Stops me pickin at stuff when I come in cos tea is ready x

Schwartz now do slow cooker sauce mixes. Not seen them in the supermarket yet but found them on their website. These usually are not too bad ProPoint wise as you add water to make the sauce. Going to have a look today to see if I can find them x

These are not bad at all! I've calculated the PP using the NI on the Schwartz website.

Chicken Curry - 3PP per pack (33g), serves 4
Beef & Tomato Casserole (40g) - 3PP per pack, serves 4
Chicken in Red Wine (35g) - 3PP per pack, serves 4
Sausage & Bean Casserole (35g) - 3PP per pack, serves 4

Obviously you need to point the meat and any beans/potatoes/parsnips/peas/corn that you add but otherwise, they seem like a good way to get a hearty, reasonable PP value meal with little effort and I'll definitely be picking some up to try.

Hi All, I've got a slow cooker collecting dust in the cupboard and have decided to get it out inspired by this thread. Just a couple of questions:

1) do you always have to brown off mince / cook onions before you put in slow cooker? If so can you do this night before and throw it in with all the other stuff?

2) are slow cookers safe? I'm a bit weary having an electric item switched on all day whilst I'm out of the house.

3) Id have to switch slower cooker on at 8am and if I want tea at 6pm this would mean its cooking for 10 hours which is too long for some recipes. Does anyone use an electric timer to switch the slower cooker on/off?

Thanks in advance

picklednut said:
Hi All, I've got a slow cooker collecting dust in the cupboard and have decided to get it out inspired by this thread. Just a couple of questions:

1) do you always have to brown off mince / cook onions before you put in slow cooker? If so can you do this night before and throw it in with all the other stuff?

2) are slow cookers safe? I'm a bit weary having an electric item switched on all day whilst I'm out of the house.

3) Id have to switch slower cooker on at 8am and if I want tea at 6pm this would mean its cooking for 10 hours which is too long for some recipes. Does anyone use an electric timer to switch the slower cooker on/off?

Thanks in advance

I never brown any of my meat prior to putting in the slow cooker or cook my onions, and I use a timer so it's not on all day & dries up, everything i've done so far has been yummy, hope this helps! xXx

I never brown or cook anything prior to puttin in slow cooker. Literally just chuck everythin in & stir. I also put mine on at 8 & when I get in about 5 its cooked to perfection. The longer the better for me. It never dries up cos slow cookers don't. It's the best thing I ever bought. Xxxx

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll start with a stew before trying anything more adventurous.

Back