Slow Cookers

Hi Audfen.
I use a slow cooker quite often as it's great if you have a busy day. I make beef stroganoff, curries etc.

Pete’s Beef Stroganoff (slow cooker version)

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 Knorr “Dark Beef stockpot”
1 Knorr “Herb stockpot”
1 Chilli, deseeded & finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 Cup of frozen peas (ss) (ff)
1 pack of “Schultz garlic, mushrooms & cream sauce” (4.5/4=1.125 syns per person)
1 Tsp Sweet paprika
1Tbsp Worcester sauce
1 Tbsp Red wine vinegar
2 Onions, finely chopped (s) (sff)
2 Garlic cloves, squeezed through a garlic press (sff)
150g Button mushrooms, cut in half (s) (sff)
300mL hot water for stock
300g long grain rice (ff)
350ml skimmed milk (3 syn/4=0.75 syn per person)
450g extra lean casserole steak (ff)

Method

Place the beef into the freezer for 30 mins to stiffen it, remove & cut into thin strips, cook in a frying pan until the beef has browned.
Pre-heat the slow cooker.
Spray the frying pan with Fry Light , add the onion, chilli, garlic, Worcester sauce, mushrooms, paprika, red wine vinegar, herb stockpot & cook for 5 mins, make 300mL of beef stock using the hot water & stockpot, add to the pan.
In a small saucepan make up the sauce as per the instructions using the milk, bring to the boil & thicken, tip into the beef mixture, bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cook for 5 mins, tip contents into the slow cooker, set to “low” cook for at least 4 hrs.
When you are ready to the meal, make the rice as per instructions on the package.
Add the peas to the beef 5 mins before serving on a bed of the rice.

Beef Stroganof Slow Cooker (Small).JPG

Pete’s Chilli Con Carni
(Slow Cooker version)

Serves: 4

Ingredients

1 large onion, finely chopped (s)(sff)
1 Red onion, finely chopped (s)(sff)
1 tsp “very lazy” garlic (sff)
1 tsp “very lazy” chilli (s)(sff)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
1 x 397g/14oz can chopped tomatoes (s)(sff)
284ml/½ pint Knorr “Rich Beef” stock
salt and ground black pepper
2x 410g Kidney Beans, drained & rinsed (s)(sff)
454g/1lb extra lean beef mince (ff)
1 Carrot, finely chopped (s)(sff)
1 Celery, finely chopped (s)(sff)
Method
Pre-heat the slow cooker.
Cook the mince in a frying pan on high heat to remove any remaining fat and cook until brown, remove from the pan and set to one side.
Fry the onion, carrot, celery, gently over a low heat for 6-8 minutes, until softened and golden. Return the mince to the pan.
Add the garlic, chillies and all the spices and continue frying, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato puree and stock. Stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes, until the liquid is slightly reduced.
Season with salt and pepper and add drained kidney beans. Pour into slow cooker and leave on “low” until you want to eat.
Serve hot with some plain boiled rice and a salad.

Chilli Con Carni (Large) (Small).JPG

Yep I use mine all the time. One tip - use less liquid than you think you might need else your casserole can be too runny!
If you do a search or look in the recipe thread, there are tons of slow cooker recipes and threads.

I use mine all year round, not just in the cooler months - they are great for cooking joints of meat.

I keep meaning to start using mine again but never manage to get the liquid right, its always too runny, think I'll dig it out.

Has anyone done pasta in it. I was thinking of doing the ragu pasta bake today (you do cook the pasta first) could I do that in the slow cooker?

Im rubbish at getting the liquid right too so I only really use it for whole joints of meat when doing a sunday dinner. someone told me they cook there jacket potatoes in there too and taste lovely. havent tried that myself tho.
the new All in one recipe book has some lovely slow cooker recipes Im hoping to try

Back