Smoothies

CarlyLanky140

Loves Minimins!
Hey all! I'm a fussy eater and don't eat fruit and veg! I like smoothies but think that 6 syns for it is a waste! Do u think if I only have a glass a day I can say it's free? Xx

the SW rule is that any fruit not eaten in it's RAW form must be counted as syns.

This is because you are not having to physically chew and bite into the fruit and are therefore not getting the same satiety. A glass of smoothie can be drunk in seconds, where as eating the same pieces of fruit in their raw form that went into the smoothie would take a lot longer to eat and would leave you feeling much more satisfied.

Also it is worth mentioning the importance of superfree foods being a 1/3 of your plate is also to control your portions of other free foods at meal times, so again drinking a glass of smoothie wouldn't do any of this. Infact not including any superfree with your meal and then having these smoothies and not counting the syns, could really affect your weight loss.

Of course it is up to each individual and whether they want to follow the SW plan 100%.

If you really struggle with vegetables and fruit, perhaps find more interesting ways to include them into you meals and set yourself a task of trying a least a new one a week, you may discover there are some you start to enjoy. Also browse food diaries and the recipe section to get some ideas of how to incorporate them into your day in a way you might enjoy.

Hope that helps.

I suppose it depends how keen you are to follow the SW plan as set out.

Would this not be a great opportunity for you to overcome your faddish eating? The dislike of fruit and veg is usually a hangover from childhood when we were force fed soggy, overcooked vegetables. But you are an adult now and can choose to get past this ... I did! There are so many vegetables out there and different ways of cooking that there is no way you could not find something you like. Start with vegetable soup - a great way of getting your superfree foods in by the way - then move on to one of the sweeter vegetables like sweetcorn. From there you are a hop and a skip to peas .. or if you like potato you can try parnips or sweet potato and so on!

I came from a family where it was traditional meals all round with meat and two veg (usually carrots or sweetcorn and boiled to within an inch of their life). I didn't eat peas, beans (baked or pulses), courgette, aubergine, mushrooms, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, babycorn, sugar snaps, mangetouts or any fruit until I was an adult. But then I moved out and started cooking for myself. I tried lots of different recipes and ways of cooking them. Some were a success and others not so great, but over time I added more and more options. And I still do it to this day. There are always new things to try and variety is really important if you are going to follow this plan for the rest of your life.

Good luck!

If it was that simple I would eat it! I'm trying new things every day and it makes me gag and I want to get over it but I just thought at least smoothies would be a start while I try all the other stuff! Honestly feeling a bit deflated now! I kno all the reasons to eat fruit and veg and I kno it should be 1/3 of plate but it's not somet u can change overnight! X

I understand it isnt something which you can change overnight, hence why I recommended trying one new thing a week, as a gradual thing.

How about leaving a 1/3 of your plate empty where your superfree would go so that you are still theoretically doing the same, for the time being. This would be a far better option than making a smoothie every day which slimming world class a syns. Plus if you like the taste of smoothies, then it would suggest it is more to do with the actual texture of fruit rather than the fruit itself.

It is important to get fruit and vegetables into your diet, so I can understand how you would think that fruit in a smoothie is better than none at all and in some aspects that is probably true, but free foods are all to do with their satiety levels and unfortunately a smoothie won't give you much at all. Hence why they can't be classed as free.

Which is why I suggested introducing things gradually as a little task each week to try to help you to over come this.

Circes pointed out some great suggestions. Vegetables for instance needn't be served just plain as they come, there are so many interesting way to incorporate them into your meals, without even really noticing they are there.

Thanks guys! I'm just so miserable and feeling lost! X

Back