So how does sw actually work?

*soon-to-be-slim*

Silver Member
I am sitting here thinking to myself, how does sw actually work? This was my first week of many restarts and I have lost 6lbs... I have eaten really well and healthy but lots of food.... I have a bout 3 stone to lose, but they say to lose 1lb you gotta ditch 3500 cals.... I deffo have not ditched 21,000 cals this week and I haven't emptied my glycogen stores and put myself in ketosis and my tummy is not empty..., so how does it work? My average calories have been 2000 sometimes over or sometimes just under....

Very very interested to understand how it does it...

What are your thoughts?

Isn't it to do with the way your body actually burns the calories?? That's what I've always thought? X

Isn't it to do with the way your body actually burns the calories?? That's what I've always thought? X

that sounds like a posibility i think... like a small apples calories are negated by the amount of calories it takes to digest it they say......

It works for me but its so such a strange concept that by eating more i am losing weight.... i didnt even get this loss on a vlcd!!! I always thought you have to just cut calories but i need to rethink my opinions on it..... I to have had nearly 15 syns a day this week...

So amazing isnt it :)

Its also to do with the type of foods and especially the type of fats you're eating. The SW diet really encourages you to ditch a lot of the saturated and trans fats and swap them for more unsaturated and poly-unsaturated fats.

Also calorie counting doesn't really matter on SW, and for me at least, previously on other diets where I've been calorie counting, I've got a little obsessed with it and it just leads to negative thought patterns for me.

Also to do with the fact that you release water as fat begins to break down in the first weeks of dieting. I have had it explained at some point but can't remember the whole explanation which is chemical in nature. Other factors will be the amount of salt you're ingesting and other aspects of fluid retention. That's why things calm down as you continue on your weight loss journey. But hey, who needs to know how the car works to drive it? If its working for you, and it seems to be, just stick with it. Fab first loss well done

I try not to think about this too much, because when I do I start thinking 'this is impossible!' It's put me off SW in the past but this time I decided to trust the plan and go along with whatever they tell me to do.

So far so good!

It's interesting to see how many calories other people are having on sw as I'm eating around 2000 per day and I feel doubtful that I will see results (although I'm down half a pound this morning : )). The website says it works by naturally causing a calorie deficit by filling you up with low calorie free foods but no deficit here! It would be interesting to hear from any consultants out there whether there's more to it or not.

Sadowska said:
It's interesting to see how many calories other people are having on sw as I'm eating around 2000 per day and I feel doubtful that I will see results (although I'm down half a pound this morning : )). The website says it works by naturally causing a calorie deficit by filling you up with low calorie free foods but no deficit here! It would be interesting to hear from any consultants out there whether there's more to it or not.

Are you following the 1/3 superfree rule? If so, carry on doing what you're doing, and enjoy! Sadly I don't know the science :) although I don't calorie count, I have changed to eating the recommended portion sizes on packs of rice, pasta etc because I think I was overeating on free foods. This way if I want a massive portion I need to bulk it with veg or salad.

I do think calories count, SW is a calorie based system. If your calorie intake is allowing you to lose, I would just trust it. Our bodies are all so different! Find what works for you. When it stops working, then look at it again.

Good Luck!

it's magic!! That is the only way i can possibly make sense of the amount I eat and still lose weight LOL

lisajade said:
Are you following the 1/3 superfree rule? If so, carry on doing what you're doing, and enjoy! Sadly I don't know the science :) although I don't calorie count, I have changed to eating the recommended portion sizes on packs of rice, pasta etc because I think I was overeating on free foods. This way if I want a massive portion I need to bulk it with veg or salad.

I do think calories count, SW is a calorie based system. If your calorie intake is allowing you to lose, I would just trust it. Our bodies are all so different! Find what works for you. When it stops working, then look at it again.

Good Luck!

Thats a realy god idea to use the portion size on the food packet how come I never thought of that always kind of guess my portion size, will give this a go

lilpixiesue said:
it's magic!! That is the only way i can possibly make sense of the amount I eat and still lose weight LOL

Love it :) magic it is then ;)

My C actually explained this today! There are three food groups

Proteins
Carbs
Fats!

Proteins and carbs are high energy foods that keep you full and give you energy

Fats have very little energy, dont have as much filling power

Slimming world encourages you to eat protein and carbs

And limit the fat

Simples

Fats are actually probably the most energy concentrated organic substances out there. When foods are scarce there would be very little that is better for your body then animal and vegetable fats.

After thinking about this recently I have realised, my diet contains very little FAT! I swapped cooking oil for spray oil, changed cooking methods, limited fatty snacks, fill up on low fat yogurt and lean meats.. Its a very low fat diet maybe that triggers more weight loss?

Ive been losing n average just under 3lbs a week and the science doesnt match up, how can I be having a defecit of 10500 cals a week? Magic x

After thinking about this recently I have realised, my diet contains very little FAT! I swapped cooking oil for spray oil, changed cooking methods, limited fatty snacks, fill up on low fat yogurt and lean meats.. Its a very low fat diet maybe that triggers more weight loss?

Ive been losing n average just under 3lbs a week and the science doesnt match up, how can I be having a defecit of 10500 cals a week? Magic x

Slimming world can result in a very low calorie intake if you keep to it, and dont have your healthy extras or syns. You could be consuming 700 to a 1000 calories and not feel starved, curious as that may be. However, your syns would be 300 calories, your healthy extra A and B another 400 to 500 calories.

This takes the diet from being dangerously low to been just about right for those with lots to lose, but a bit tougher for those who are just a bit over weight.

Of course dieting is all about energy in and energy out, but our bodies are more complex that that and can respond in different ways to different foods at different times.

The first weeks loss is always inflated due to the fact that you are eating more healthy foods and less foods packed with salt, bread etc which all encourage water retention.

You will find that the majority of the weight you lose in your first week is water retention leaving your body.

So the number of calories fewer you have had has in fact probably given you a net FAT loss of about 2lb which is the same as you would expect for the rest of the time you spend on slimming world if you stick to plan.

But dont worry as its still 6lb loss and 6lb less weight your body is having to carry aroung, but you will notice the next time you drink alchohol , eat bread or take away you will immeadiately have a gain until the water retention releases by eating healthily and drinking water again.

Hope this helps explain your 6lb loss

Your resting metabolic rate is usually about 2000 calories burned per day, then you need to consider any additional activity you do which would include everything from walking, cleaning, running after the kids to simply bending down to pick something up, every time you use your body to move you are adding more calories burned.

So if your calorific intake is lets say 1500-1700 per day its not hard at all to have a 10500 calorie defecit for your average person

the maths - 1500 x 7 = 10500 calories consumed

resting metabolic rate = 2000 x 7 = 14000 calories burned without even doing anything

add to that all your activity for the week burning an additional 7000 calories is only 1000 calories per day thats not a lot tbh

Also bare in mind the more you weigh the higher your resting metabolic rate, and also in turn the more extra you burn just by moving about hence why you see large people like me having great losses as our calorific defecit is much higher than a slimmer person

Last edited:
your healthy extra A and B another 400 to 500 calories.
A HEB or HEA is usually in the region of 120 calories, so if you were doing EE and omitted one of each from your diet, you would be losing around 240cals, not 400 or 500.

Back