So, so fed up and upset!

raquelscatt

I joined SW (for the umptenth time!) in September 2011 weighing 18stone 2lb. I have managed to only lose 2 stone in this time. I do have a busy social life at times and flit between exercise.

My sister joined in March 2012 and is 1/2 lb off her 3 stone award. She is constantly being told how good she looks, no one notices I have lost any!! I am really pleased for her but am so upset and fed up for myself. I stick to plan, I know it inside out. I eat a variety of foods and constantly graze on fruit and veg.

Take this week for eg, going out with my sister last weekend, we both drank a bottle of wine each, ate rich foods and the following day ate a curry. I gained 1/2 lb even tho I got straight back onto plan on Sunday. My sister has posted on facebook this am she has lost 3lb. She averages weight loss of 1 1/2-2lb every week. My pattern is lose one week and then gain the next. I do have problems with my bowl movements which the doc is treating me for ibs but I am pretty certain it isn't this. Any other things I could try maybe?

I am so ready to throw in the towel, I told my consultant on Thursday that I perhaps should give up as I may aswell through my money down the drain with the results I am getting. I have gained 1/2 lb the last 3 weeks despite doing no exercise (I usually gain when I exercise) and only going off plan last weekend. She is bewildered as seeing my food diaries, she cannot understand it either.

My dh is urging me to do the Cambridge diet which I had great results with a few years ago and I am so tempted. I just cannot shrug tho this feeling of jealousy for my sister and feeling so low about my diet and whats the point attitude. I am crying typing this, I feel so low!!

Thanks for reading and if you could reply, I would be grateful!

Aw hun.. first of all, *hugs*

There's nothing worse when you see yourself in competition with someone and are losing it...but you know all that's in your head. Your body hates giving up that fat, you know and to get even a half pound off takes a lot of work. I too joined the same time as you, and up until the middle of summer had only lost 2st myself. I felt frustrated as well. But I went back and re-examined everything I was doing. I had stopped measuring my healthy extras, and my portion sizes had increased for some reason. I tried a week of mixing up the plans after two weeks of 0.5 off, 0.5 on. I lost 2.5lb that week.
And yes, not being able to go to the loo will definitely chip in and add up on the scales. I recently had a stomach bug and when it was gone, I could not go to the bathroom for like two weeks... 0.5 off, 0.5 on...see. I eventually got so fed up I tried laxative which didn't work and on the advice of my doctor, I got an enema from the chemist....2.5 off....

My toilet woes are a combination of not being able to control myself and having diarrhoea or being bunged up for a few days!! I have been on medication from the docs for 3 weeks for ibs but its not made a jot of difference. Before that he was treating me for the diarrhoea which didn't work either.

I cannot help but think this is a major contributing factor to my lack of weight loss but don't know what to do. I keep food diaries for sw and the docs but nothing is coming to light.

My toilet woes are a combination of not being able to control myself and having diarrhoea or being bunged up for a few days!! I have been on medication from the docs for 3 weeks for ibs but its not made a jot of difference. Before that he was treating me for the diarrhoea which didn't work either.

I cannot help but think this is a major contributing factor to my lack of weight loss but don't know what to do. I keep food diaries for sw and the docs but nothing is coming to light.

I think that this does have a lot to do with your weight loss as even when you have a very loose motion it affects the fluids in your body which obviouslyin turn affects your weight.
I suffer from constipation but then I am on a lot of meds which include strong painkillers and being 78 things slow down a lot too so it's a major problem for me but I think Acc's advice is a good one.
Hope you get it sorted soon..and btw.. don't keep comparing yourself to others as we all lose at different rates anyway.
All the very best to you ... :)

Hey, I can feel your frustration - I used to slim with a girl at work, who at 10 yr my junior, and about a stone and a half heavier than me used to get much bigger losses than me even when only spending 50% of the time on plan. I figured that she was younger and hadn't had as many years yo yo dieting to mess up her metabolism as I had and she had more to loose. I stopped comparing in the end - I knew I was doing what I could and the weight was coming off, even if not as quickly as I would like!

Your bowel issues will definitely be contributing, try and make sure you drink lots of fluid and keep trying to work out what the cause is.

Finally - two stone off and keeping it off is fab and don't forget it! :bighug:

All our bodies are different & you've LOST 2st in a year, that's something you should be proud off.

There are lots of poo related threads on here if you do a search you may find something of help.

Do you did enough water, this may help with losses & constipation.

And if you do give up, what then, you could very easily gain 2st in LESS than a year.

Its so easy to become down hearted and give up when you can see and hear the success stories of others around you and in class. Ive been going to SW since the end of May and on average am losing 1lb per week total so far 1st 2lbs. The young girl who sits behind me in class has lost 3 1/2 stones in about 14 weeks, every week I think my god that should be me. I also like you suffer from IBS which ive had since I was 3yrs old, and more often than not im running to the loo rather than not being able to go. The fact that I have diahorrea at least twice a week makes no difference to my weight loss. When you have the runs your body loses fluids and needs hydrating so make sure you drink plenty water. Everyones body/metabolism is different, so dont give up hun 2st is a massive achievement and you should be proud. The support you will get from this site is amazing and its like a little family I think. Chin up and stay positive you can do it.

I am a little confused tbh. You say you went off plan for the weekend, but that your consultant says there is nothing wrong with your food diaries. Did you write down that bottle of wine, the Syns in the rich food & the curry? If you did & your consultant says its still fine I'd be a little worried about your consultant.
did you have any Syns during the week or just use all your Syns in the 2 days?

At a basic level, I would say you need to follow plan 100% for a week & then if you don't loose, you can legitimately worry its not working. Everyone's bodies work differently, so what if your sister can get away with it? Your recent results show you can't, so if you want to loose the weight, then try sticking to plan. I know that some people can save all their Syns for the weekend & go without the rest of the week, but others appcan't so worth bearing in mind as well.

Back