So, was Jamie Oliver right?

I think this is a very fair point, calories in todays market come cheap. For all that most supermarkets do some offers of fruit and veg, it is still mostly the processed fatty c**p that is on offer or just cheaper in the first place. With schools facing increasingly tighter budgets you can understand why healthy food was the first thing to go!!

Fair point, but I'd argue it is still a false economy;)

Oh Stevie boy I thought you had better taste than that.

Of all the great chefs in the world you have to idolize Heston bloomin' Blumenthal .

How can you admire anyone who makes "snail porridge" YUK !!!!!!

Yes, I agree too that it is false economy buying all this ***p...
My husband and I are both on a very tight budget at the moment and we still manage to eat healthily. We buy frozen and tinned veg, tofu from the chinese supermarket (cheap), we have a produce stand in town that sells veg for so much less than tesco!, when we fancy meat we get tons on offer on a sunday night in tesco metro or buy it from aldi/lidl. At first sight all these processed foods might be cheaper but actually it's not in the slightest! Not if you have to buy it for a whole family. I did it myself for a week and was broke afterwards. You can get so much more out of tinned tomatoes and a whole chicken and some pasta than you could ever get out of a bag of chicken dinosaurs! I live in Liverpool and it is absolutely SHOCKING how little some over here know about cooking. I know a girl and all she knew was how to cook a sunday roast (which is a good start). I don't eat much meat (my husband does) and she was pertrified when I said I would eat fish...she didn't know how to cook it..I said.."well you chuck it in the oven..I didn't ask you to catch it and prepare it in front of me..haha..

It is a LOT cheaper to eat veg and proper meat on the whole. It's just that all these prepacked foods look cheap when you first look at it. Also, sweets are often cheap but they don't provide a meal, do they??

People are seriously lazy and ignorant when it comes to cooking - that might sound harsh but when I offered my friend to cook with her on a free Saturday she wasn't interested. She recently got marrieed so her husband was quite keen..haha..I have a lot of friends (some over 40 and 50) who seriously don't know how to prepare veg!!
But they don't want to know either because they just don't enjoy cooking and find it a lot more convinient to chuck a pizza in the oven.

The whole "it's to pricey..."-excuse is really not on. Yes, veg and fruit are expensive if you don't know where to buy it. And the problem is that supermarkets don't really encourage people to buy veg because they know their customers are not interested in finding out where to get veg cheap if the first thing they do is heading to the pre-packed meal section. It's a prejudice that veg is unaffordable. You can afford it even on the dole and especially if you get child support (ironically my sister in law is one of the usual suspects - her child doesn't eat a lot of veg but he got 2 phones, a wii, a psp2 and a nintendo DS...wonder how much veg you can get for the price of this!?!).

When my parents and I went out for a meal (and that was in so-called "health-conscious" Germany...) I never understood why parents would order a pork-schnitzel and fries for the kids and a relatively healthy "adult-meal" for themselves (well it contained at least one veg :) )..I never got my head around that..well at least during my childhood it was only a treat (like every 2 month, not every week..)

The last few days I was watching Jamies School Dinners again on youtube..and I can understand why he got so frustrated..I would, too.

And you can't even blame the kids that they didn't like the taste...One girl said the reason why she chooses chips over a healthy meal is because that's what she eats all the time at home...on kid thought asparagus was an onion...I mean, we learned such things not only from our parents but also at school. I still think Jamies attempt to improve at least a little was really good and far from patronising..and as someone posted before - it wasn't the way he tried to get it across but the message itself that people didn't want to hear. What a shame..If they really loved their kids they would listen.

Well I am still trying to get my head around how anyone who clearly cares about kids and their health-can call his son 'Buddy' !!!!

What has that to do with being concerned about your kids and their health?

It's a bit of a stupid name but so are a lot of names people give to their kids.

Yes, I agree too that it is false economy buying all this ***p...
My husband and I are both on a very tight budget at the moment and we still manage to eat healthily. We buy frozen and tinned veg, tofu from the chinese supermarket (cheap), we have a produce stand in town that sells veg for so much less than tesco!, when we fancy meat we get tons on offer on a sunday night in tesco metro or buy it from aldi/lidl. At first sight all these processed foods might be cheaper but actually it's not in the slightest! Not if you have to buy it for a whole family. I did it myself for a week and was broke afterwards. You can get so much more out of tinned tomatoes and a whole chicken and some pasta than you could ever get out of a bag of chicken dinosaurs! I live in Liverpool and it is absolutely SHOCKING how little some over here know about cooking. I know a girl and all she knew was how to cook a sunday roast (which is a good start). I don't eat much meat (my husband does) and she was pertrified when I said I would eat fish...she didn't know how to cook it..I said.."well you chuck it in the oven..I didn't ask you to catch it and prepare it in front of me..haha..

It is a LOT cheaper to eat veg and proper meat on the whole. It's just that all these prepacked foods look cheap when you first look at it. Also, sweets are often cheap but they don't provide a meal, do they??

People are seriously lazy and ignorant when it comes to cooking - that might sound harsh but when I offered my friend to cook with her on a free Saturday she wasn't interested. She recently got marrieed so her husband was quite keen..haha..I have a lot of friends (some over 40 and 50) who seriously don't know how to prepare veg!!
But they don't want to know either because they just don't enjoy cooking and find it a lot more convinient to chuck a pizza in the oven.

The whole "it's to pricey..."-excuse is really not on. Yes, veg and fruit are expensive if you don't know where to buy it. And the problem is that supermarkets don't really encourage people to buy veg because they know their customers are not interested in finding out where to get veg cheap if the first thing they do is heading to the pre-packed meal section. It's a prejudice that veg is unaffordable. You can afford it even on the dole and especially if you get child support (ironically my sister in law is one of the usual suspects - her child doesn't eat a lot of veg but he got 2 phones, a wii, a psp2 and a nintendo DS...wonder how much veg you can get for the price of this!?!).

When my parents and I went out for a meal (and that was in so-called "health-conscious" Germany...) I never understood why parents would order a pork-schnitzel and fries for the kids and a relatively healthy "adult-meal" for themselves (well it contained at least one veg :) )..I never got my head around that..well at least during my childhood it was only a treat (like every 2 month, not every week..)

The last few days I was watching Jamies School Dinners again on youtube..and I can understand why he got so frustrated..I would, too.

And you can't even blame the kids that they didn't like the taste...One girl said the reason why she chooses chips over a healthy meal is because that's what she eats all the time at home...on kid thought asparagus was an onion...I mean, we learned such things not only from our parents but also at school. I still think Jamies attempt to improve at least a little was really good and far from patronising..and as someone posted before - it wasn't the way he tried to get it across but the message itself that people didn't want to hear. What a shame..If they really loved their kids they would listen.

Good post, and while I agree with most of it, I happen to love visiting Germany, and have to say my favourite food over there is Schnitzel! (mit musik lol - i'm sure you know that joke). I have no sweet tooth*, but pork escalope really did it for me.

* I'll make an exception for Schwarzwaldenkirchentorte eaten whilst actually in the Black Forest:cool:

Good post, and while I agree with most of it, I happen to love visiting Germany, and have to say my favourite food over there is Schnitzel! (mit musik lol - i'm sure you know that joke). I have no sweet tooth*, but pork escalope really did it for me.

* I'll make an exception for Schwarzwaldenkirchentorte eaten whilst actually in the Black Forest:cool:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Black Forest Gateau ....................

zer gut!!!

like you I love the food in Germany especially the pork.

Mind you I ate the best Italian food I have ever had out of Italy in Acchen lol.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Black Forest Gateau ....................

zer gut!!!

like you I love the food in Germany especially the pork.

Mind you I ate the best Italian food I have ever had out of Italy in Acchen lol.

Sehr gut?

Ganz prima! oder immer besser... ausgeseichnet!

I like the change to school meals, my little girl loves her school meals, though there is sometimes odd veg with things and alot of bread and butter lol
But theres now a single chip day, she still gets veggie pizza one day pie ect

I am lucky that my children are not fussy eaters, my middle daughter can be a bit funny with meat but loves her veg the only veg they dont like is celery and neither one likes that (which is ace... more for me :D)

I like the change to school meals, my little girl loves her school meals, though there is sometimes odd veg with things and alot of bread and butter lol
But theres now a single chip day, she still gets veggie pizza one day pie ect

I am lucky that my children are not fussy eaters, my middle daughter can be a bit funny with meat but loves her veg the only veg they dont like is celery and neither one likes that (which is ace... more for me :D)

Must be a thing with us youngsters as I can't bide celery either. No problem with anything else.

Sehr gut?

Ganz prima! oder immer besser... ausgeseichnet!

ausgezeichnet? lol !!!

Steve I am impressed............... definitely excellent !!!

Funny stuff celery. Paul likes it cooked but not raw. I love it.

Oh a denglish attack!dear, my husband can't stop all day and now you start doing the same!! Waaah!

:)

Yes german food is really nice I have to admit..i can't really go back without gaining half a stone:-(

Oh a denglish attack!dear, my husband can't stop all day and now you start doing the same!! Waaah!

Yes german food is really nice I have to admit..i can't really go back without gaining half a stone:-(

Beats a Spanglish one any day lol !!!

Franglais is even more fun;)

My German friend, Ingrid, alway went on at me about my weight (I am now lighter than her lol) she would be forever telling me off for eating fish and chips, deep fried, batter and all the associated saturated fats etc. - which is fair enough. Then I'd watch her in actuon with fresh crust white rolls, with half an inch of butter on it and then an inch of cream cheese. Usually a few of these as part of breakfast.

The irony of it was not lost on me. Mind you, it was bloody tasty:p

What is stollen all about - then of course Kafee und Kuchen. No wonder the Germans love their mealtimes.

Prost!

Perhaps Mr Oliver should have visited a few Bavarian schools?

Maximus said:
Perhaps Mr Oliver should have visited a few Bavarian schools?

Funnily enough the pack lunch that german parents give to their kids is rather healthy..and we actually don't have cantines in our schools.

A typical german packed lunch usually consists of a rye bread sandwich with ham or cheese, fruit,chopped carrots or other veg and a bottle of water or juice ! I hated them...hahaha...

When I was 14 I visited britain for the first time and stayed with a host family. I was rather shocked when I found a can of diet coke, a white soggy cheese sandwich, a chocolate bar and a bag of crisps in my lunch bag!!:) CRISPS!! We only had them at weekends at home when we were watching a film with the family. And that was only in 1997!

But you are right, typical german dishes are far from healthy but we only had typical german food once a week .. We don't live of bratwurst and schnitzel:) a lot of overweight germans get their love handles from eating too much bread and sweets and cakes!! But at least our stuff is mostly home made and not full of additives...no german would ever get a cake from the supermarket...haha! We are healthy, fat people;-);-)

I love entertaining German friends. They clear their plates and are very appreciative.

Zum voll und Ich freue mich, Sie kennenzulernen !!!

I wasn't having a go, I think meal times in Germany is an event! - people can sit for hours over great food and better conversation.

Possibly only matched by the Italians for their love of family and food together.

Meanwhile back in England, there might be four or five people eating different "meals" (glorified snacks) sitting in different rooms!

I hijacked my own thread.

Just barred myself!

Back