First timer.

sequinn

Hi there,

Thank you for allowing me to join minimins.

I am a 57 year old retired nurse/midwife. Mum to two wonderful young women and granny to two beautiful little girls. I live in Greece with my partner which is wonderful but also my downfall. The wonderful food but more significantly the wine! It is good and very very cheap and we drink faaaaaarrrr toooo much.;)

I think I started dieting when I was about 16 and weighed 8 stone!!!!!!!!! I blame this for my later problems. I am 5ft 6in and 8 stone is very slim but like many young girls I had a distorted idea about my body. Boy oh boy would I like to be 8 stone again. Hey ho easy on hindsight. I have dieted on and off since then gaining and loosing weight. I have done calorie counting, Atkins with some success but hated the lack of fruit and veg, Weight Watchers but never Slimming World. The most successful diet I ever did was The Divorce Diet. By far the most effective :(. I am definitely not an emotional eater, the polar opposite, I stop eating when upset. I was married for 25 years and very upset when it all ended - the usual, his mid life affair, my heart broken. However he did me a big favour, firstly I lost loads of weight but then even better I went off to work abroad and met my lovely man. Following this I became happy again and the weight started creeping back on. All those romantic dinners and relaxed nights sipping - yes wine ;).

I am currently about 4 stone overweight. I hate it. I don't like how I look. I hate that I cant get my clothes on. I hate how sluggish and unhealthy I feel. My joints ache. I snore very loudly - apparently. Basically I need to shape up. The food here is not a problem really if I gain some portion control. Lots of grilled meat and fish and vegetables. I need to cut down the red wine drastically and give up some of the nice cheeses and desserts. Unfortunately, they give you dessert and raki free here whenever you have a meal. Very kind of them but hard to resist.

I do moderate exercise. I swim a lot most of the year, walk and do the occasional yoga and aerobic workout but no where near enough.

I am going to start slimming world. I have borrowed my friends books. I like the idea of the unlimited vegetables and fruit. I do like healthy eating, I just eat too much. My struggle will be the wine. My partner really enjoys cracking a bottle or two and I just have poor self control with it.

I would love to hear anyone's advice, their stories any pointers for a 57 yr old overweight wine lush.:)

Back