Soda Water

No, soda water isn't recommended. You can have sparkling mineral water though :)

Soda water contains Bicarbonate of soda to make it fizzy (as well as other acids) and carbonated water is just made fizzy by carbon dioxide, finally tonic water contains quinine which gives it it's funny taste.

Hope that clears things up a bit. xx

Its to do with the slight salt level in soda water. You wouldnt want to be guzzling down litres of the stuff and then retain due to the sodium levels.

When I go down my mates pub on a weekend, I drink Soda Water and he said that it is purely a barrel of water with a nozzel on top that carbonates it...??? Where would the Sodium Bicarbonate come in there...?

Sorry for all the questions...

A lot of pubs carbonate their water that way - that's why I thought drinking soda in pubs was ok. My pub doesn't even charge me for it :confused:

Good thread!!
So Sparkling water is ok what about tonic water someone mentioned it above but didn't say yes or no.
I'm confused about soda water now I have this in pub & thought it was okay??????

Okay...confusing eh

Tonic water is a no, except in special circumstances which is OT with this thread.

Sparkling mineral water is fine

Soda water is generally classed as a nono, but that's because it often has added salt, citrates etc But it doesn't always. Sometimes it's just carbonated water...which should be fine :)

Generally the stuff from pubs is just carbonated water (confusingly called soda water). Soda water you buy in shops has bicarb etc in it.

To prevent all this confusion at home I use my old Soda Stream machine to make my tap water fizzy. I knew I'd use it eventually lol.

And just to add to the confusion a bit more.... as someone mentioned before about soda water's sodium content - some bottled mineral waters have got quite a high sodium content too.

Evian has the lowest with 5mg/litre
Highland Spring has 9mg/litre
Volvic has 11.6mg/litre
Tesco own brand has 30mg/litre
and scarily
Nestle Purelife has 40.4mg/litre

Anything less than 20mg/litre is considered low sodium. So it's worth checking the bottles.

Last edited:
And just to add to the confusion a bit more.... as someone mentioned before about soda water's sodium content - some bottled mineral waters have got quite a high sodium content too.

Evian has the lowest with 5mg/litre
Highland Spring has 9mg/litre
Volvic has 11.6mg/litre
Tesco own brand has 30mg/litre
and scarily
Nestle Purelife has 40.4mg/litre

Anything less than 20mg/litre is considered low sodium. So it's worth checking the bottles.

Some good info here, do you think the difference could cost a few lbs over time?

I wonder how levels of Sodium in tap water vary from county county!

I don't know... my CDC told me to look out for water with alot of sodium in, she said some of her clients that only just get into ketosis often get knocked out of it if they have water with high sodium content. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

I just had one bottle of the evil Nestle :eek: and I've got a Brita filter jug so while I'm at home I've been using that, and who knows how much is in my tap water (all I know is it's disgusting). Tomorrow at work I'll get Evian, and keep clear of the devils :devilangel:water (nestle)

Back