sole source, shakes/soups/bars/tetras allowed?

hello :)

i know you cant have the bars til week 3 if wanted, but when sole sourcing, is it ok to have shakes, soups and tetras from the start?

also, if frozen, do tetras make ice cream?

Yes, shakes, soups and tetras are fine from the beginning :) No bars or water flavourings though.

I believe tetras make great icecream. No more than one a day though :)

well, if you are doing fine and sticking with it - it all helps to get the water down :)
Basically, we say not for the first two weeks so that you have a chance to know what ketosis 'feels' like. for some people the flavourings and bars are enough to cause hunger - depending how 'ketosensitive' you are..... most are fine, but I ask my customers to do SS 'by the book' for two weeks to see it working.... any 'extras' then added and you'll know straight away if it makes life harder

And now i have probably confused everyone :confused: sorry..... :eek:

Hi Fattytothinny...

Soups,Shakes and tetras are perfectly fine from the beginning as already mentioned as they form the basic programme. You can have all of your 3 or 4 products as tetras if you wanted to as there is no limit on Tetra's within the programme. Many clients have achieved lasting success having had their weekly requirement of either 21 or 28 products all as Tetra's.

In terms of freezing and/or cooking then that should be restricted to one pack per day as the process of freezing/cooking may diminish some of the vitamins/minerals contained in them.

Bars are restricted to one per day and are usually introduced from the 2nd week onwards. As you may know each CDC works differently and some may allow you to introduce bars from the beginning (not usual!) or even later. I tend to tell my clients that they can have bars once they have lost their first stone - its a great incentive!!

Debbie is spot on about the water flavourings...it really does depend on how ketosensitive you are though generally clients are fine with them. Summer Berry and Sunshine Orange do not have a restriction on them - you can have all of your daily water intake flavoured if you wanted to. However, the Savoury Vegetable Drink is restricted to 1 or 2 tsp per day.

Hope this helps to clarify things for you...good luck :)

I tend to tell my clients that they can have bars once they have lost their first stone - its a great incentive!!

I like that one..... think I may start using that too ;) A bar AND a smiley face for every stone on their green card....... :D My customers fight over my smiley faces!!! well, not really but they do like them!!

Summer Berry and Sunshine Orange do not have a restriction on them -

Is that a recent change Diva? It used to be 1tsp max a day.
Bars are restricted to one per day and are usually introduced from the 2nd week onwards.

But I thought the official line was week 3 (though I realise CDCs do things differently. Cambridge say week 3 don't they :confused:

I'm afraid it's all the water flavourings that are meant to be one teaspoon a day. When I first did CD there wasn't a limit ... but they have brought it in now.

And yes it is meant to be bars and water flavourings from week 3, so that as Debbie says we can check you go into ketosis.

Mention that you've "heard" water flavourings shouldn't be uintroduced until week 3 and then only a teaspoon per day .....

But to be honest now you are on it - I'd not worry. Also if you have good losses using it all day and it helps you drink your water - then stay as you are. As I said when I did it the first time ... I use to have it all day and it didn't make any difference to me. Some people are more ketosis sensitive than others.

Yes, shakes, soups and tetras are fine from the beginning :) No bars or water flavourings though.

I believe tetras make great icecream. No more than one a day though :)

Hi sorry to hijack this thread, but do you mean two tetra's made into ice cream or do you mean you cant have two tetra's a day? some days ive been having two tetra's and my soup in between! Havent got round to trying ice cream yet!

Hi Becky

You can have your entire daily Cambridge products as tetras if you want to ... the limit of one per day is for if you are freezing or cooking packs only....

:)

Is that a recent change Diva? It used to be 1tsp max a day.

But I thought the official line was week 3 (though I realise CDCs do things differently. Cambridge say week 3 don't they :confused:

To avoid any further confusion on this point....

Cambridge recommend one tsp (i.e one serving) of water flavouring per day as each serving contains 13 calories - bearing in mind that some people tend to use half a teaspoon in a litre as it can be quite sweet! However, if you want to flavour all of your water you can do so and the effect on your weight loss will be minimal.

As regards bars, they do contain carbs so that is why they are restricted to 1 per day and introduced later. It is up to the CDC and the client as to whether they are introduced in week 2 or week 3 - again, the effect of when they are actually introduced is minimal. Now if you were telling me that you are having 2 a day and have been since day one then that is a completely different story.

The key here is to keep things in perspective and to keep the lines of communication with your CDC open. Nobody - or their weightloss - is a text book case. I would rather my clients have 3 tsps of water flavouring per day and be comfortable rather than restrict themselves to one and then have a fizzy drink because they just "wanted to drink something with a bit of taste!".

So long as you stick to the program of having 3 or 4 CD products per day and drink the required amount of water you will lose weight and you will more than likely lose more than you would if you were following a non VLCD diet. But that's not the focus....the focus should be getting it off and keeping it off and if extra flavoured water helps you to do that then go for it!

Back