Some advice?

Ally89

Gold Member
Ok well this week i gained 1.5lb but i've no idea how. I haven't done much more exercise than usual, i've been regularly changing meals so i'm not always the same, i've been 100% all week (even over easter), i'm drinking 1 litre of water a day (anymore i start feeling ill, but this is double what i was drinking 6 weeks ago)

Only thing i've done different is have 4 red days, 2 ee and 1 green (i mix each week anyway but its usually 2/3 red 3 green 2/3 e)

I'm a slow loser anyway but its beginning to take the pee, last week i stayed the same, week before lost 0.5lb, now this week gained 1.5lb even though i was 100% all week. I can't ask at group cos i'm an online member (support on there is rubbish).

I do have PCOS and my doctor took me off the pill 3 weeks ago because it was making me depressed. Could this have anything to do with it do you think? As i say i lose slow anyway, so i'm not unused to rubbish weight loss but gaining for no reason is really bugging me.

Oh and my average weekly weight loss is now somewhere inbetween 0.5 and 1 a week...and people think they're slow at 2.5/3 a week!

If you came off the pill 3 weeks ago you are probably approaching a period. I think lots of women on here don't lose much ahead of * week :)

I have pcos too and the slow weight loss is a bugger. However 0.5lb is still a loss and a great achievement. Try not to get disheartened x

Are u near goal? When I lost 5 stone that last one took as long as the first 4! Although it had gone back on hence why I'm back. The body does strange things and i know how demoralised you feel but take comfort in the fact you are 100% - you are doing everything you can. That is something o be proud of! On another weight loss site I belong to the mantra is 'trust the process'. As long as you are doing 100% and u feel u have made as many adjustments as possible then trust the process. Keep it going. Focus on your achievements. It will come good.

Because you have two options. U do this or you don't do this. Do you want the consequences of not doing this?

That woman from Biggest Loser - Gillian? I love her saying.

Losing weight is hard

Being fat is hard

Choose your hard.

Oh, and something else - if I have a run of stagnant weight loss I have a 'controlled' binge I.e. eat whatever I want but not that much that I feel poorly! . It is based on some research I read in the British Sport Journal which basically said taking a day off a diet can often 'boost' the metabolism. They recommend it every ten days but I only do this if I am in a situation like you are. It helps me psychologically abs well as I get the stress and frustration out of my system and the next day I am able to re focus and start again. I know this int for everyone but it has worked for me in the past.

Ally89 said:
Ok well this week i gained 1.5lb but i've no idea how. I haven't done much more exercise than usual, i've been regularly changing meals so i'm not always the same, i've been 100% all week (even over easter), i'm drinking 1 litre of water a day (anymore i start feeling ill, but this is double what i was drinking 6 weeks ago)

Only thing i've done different is have 4 red days, 2 ee and 1 green (i mix each week anyway but its usually 2/3 red 3 green 2/3 e)

I'm a slow loser anyway but its beginning to take the pee, last week i stayed the same, week before lost 0.5lb, now this week gained 1.5lb even though i was 100% all week. I can't ask at group cos i'm an online member (support on there is rubbish).

I do have PCOS and my doctor took me off the pill 3 weeks ago because it was making me depressed. Could this have anything to do with it do you think? As i say i lose slow anyway, so i'm not unused to rubbish weight loss but gaining for no reason is really bugging me.

Oh and my average weekly weight loss is now somewhere inbetween 0.5 and 1 a week...and people think they're slow at 2.5/3 a week!

Hi Ally. Sorry to hear about the gain this week. I know how keen you are to lose it. I know it sounds strange but are you eating enough? By that I mean super free foods. I follow your diary and seen the food diary, I eat way more than that every day. How about asking for feedback from others as I might be a bad example? Whatever you do, don't fall off the wagon, think of what you have achieved so far. Good luck

Biddie, not due a period for over a week yet, if it was maybe next week i'd gained i might understand it more.

Ophelia, i'm just over 3 stone off goal.

Daiseybell, i eat until i'm satified, and i usually have at least 3rd superfree even on red/green

Last edited:
I'd suggest some of the various tips and tricks that I've found on here, like superspeed soup, 777 week, fish week etc., I've been saving some of these ideas for when my loss starts to slow down.

I think that sometimes you just have to accept that a small gain or maintain is inevitable, even when you've been 100% all week. It is very frustrating, but weight loss is not consistent or predictable. That's why I refuse to set myself a weekly target at class, much to the annoyance of the Consultant. I always say that I'll follow the plan, and my body will make up its mind what happens! Sometimes I lose 0.5lb, sometimes anything up to 4lb, yet I always stick to the plan 100%.

maybe post your food diary on here so we can advise you? it may be that you are having more syns or hex for example than you thought?? i have done SW for years at groups so i know it well, i don't know how well it's explained to online members ???

I did it for 3 years before joining again online, so i know it pretty well too :) My food diary is in my diary (links in my sig), i've just dug out a menu from when i lost 2.5lb (3rd week i think) going to try following that menu I think.

Oh, and something else - if I have a run of stagnant weight loss I have a 'controlled' binge I.e. eat whatever I want but not that much that I feel poorly! . It is based on some research I read in the British Sport Journal which basically said taking a day off a diet can often 'boost' the metabolism. They recommend it every ten days but I only do this if I am in a situation like you are. It helps me psychologically abs well as I get the stress and frustration out of my system and the next day I am able to re focus and start again. I know this int for everyone but it has worked for me in the past.

IOphelia105 I have found this too. It is hard and I was a very slow loser, near to target I only had 5 syns a day on my cons advice, but I stuck to it, week in week out getting really small losses, BUT they were losses! I agree with all which has been posted and as hard as it may seem, a dripping tap still fills a bucket. Try some scan bran, that has helped a lot of people in my group. If you dont go to group then I think Holland and Barret sell it. Hope this helps

I did it for 3 years before joining again online, so i know it pretty well too :) My food diary is in my diary (links in my sig), i've just dug out a menu from when i lost 2.5lb (3rd week i think) going to try following that menu I think.

ah ok, i'm struggling a bit at the mo, i'm getting close to target 12 pounds to go, lost 5 stone 9.5 pounds so far, i have gone back to doing green days and i may have a couple of red days next week too, my weight loss is slower on EE compared to red and green days and also my weight loss is slower compared to a couple of years ago before i had a baby, i guess my body has changed xx

oh i just checked out you're stats n my starting weight was 17.7 so similar weights :D my target is 11.7 xx

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time ally, good idea following diary from a week you had a great loss. I can understand how frustrating it must be gaining when you have been 100%, coming off the pill might have had a funny effect on you, I know you say its not *week yet but for me, my monthly sts/gain is 2 weeks after my *week (and that's on the pill) so it might be your body getting back into its own rhythm after being on the pill. Stick with what you are doing, try and up your water if you can, even if its an extra half glass a day it might help shake things up a bit. I find if I drink water quickly I feel sick but sipping throughout the day really helps. Good luck hun I know its not been easy for you so far, hope it improves and you start seeing the losses you deserve soon! Xx

I've gone through the dairies from when i lost 3lb and 2.5lb pound i noticed i didn't have so much salad as i have now, and my breakfasts were more varied. So made a plan that combined both of those weeks, less salad, no breakfasts the same (well only 2 the same i think).

Hollys nan, i've got scan bran, been having 2/3 pieces a day, most days for 5 or 6 weeks as i've usually used my HE's so used it as syns, not seen any real difference with though, though it does make good chocolate cake haha

I'll try upping my water again too, though i find it such a struggle to drink more than 1 litre, but i'll give it a go.

I have PCOS (as well as Endo & another thing!) which means I lose weight ridiculously slow, even though I stick to plan 100%. There's quite a few on her who find the same with PCOS. You may find every now & then you don't lose when you should & it can be linked to hormones. I've been taken off the pill a number of times to try something else & I don't think it affected my losses, but our bodies can go crazy when we go on something/come off something we're used to. Give it another week or two & hopefully by then your body will be used to not being on the pill & will balance out :)

Back