Some help with Original Plan Healthy Extra's please

Nicola1985

I understand that on the Original Plan you can choose one or two options from the 'A' menu (which is basically your calcium quota: cheese, milk, etc) and two options from the 'B' menu which on Original includes not only breads and cereals but also pulses, potatoes and pasta (amongst other things). The bit that's confusing me is in the book where it states the options as follows:-

60g cannellini beans
125g cannellini beans

Huh?

The only explanation I could come up with is that this means that you can 'double up' on this particular food, as in if you wish to use up both your 'B' options on just one food i.e. you can't double up on porridge oats and have 70g (2 x 35g).......or can you???

confused.com

I think there are certain HEBs where you can double up the portion size for extra fibre - you'll spot the same with Ryvita's on the Extra Easy plan where you can have 2 or 4, depending on whether you want the extra fibre (and therefore the extra calories) or not. It still counts as one HEB either way x

I think there are certain HEBs where you can double up the portion size for extra fibre - you'll spot the same with Ryvita's on the Extra Easy plan where you can have 2 or 4, depending on whether you want the extra fibre (and therefore the extra calories) or not. It still counts as one HEB either way x

Hmmm still a little confused as the two portions of HEB aren't optional on Original, they're mandatory, so you're not really opting for more / less calories, just different foods.

Hmmm still a little confused as the two portions of HEB aren't optional on Original, they're mandatory, so you're not really opting for more / less calories, just different foods.

I don't think I explained very well :)

So you get 1 HEB on Extra Easy and 2 HEBs on Green/Red... whichever plan you are following, one item from the list of HEBs for that plan counts as one HEB. Where you see something like the Cannelini Beans above on the Red plan, this means that you can either choose 60g as one HEB, or 125g as one HEB. You would still have another HEB to use up (on whatever you like) regardless of whether you opted for the 60g or 125g of Cannelini Beans. You won't see this happen very often in the book, and it certainly never happens on Cereals/Porridges - it's only on foods which are very high in fibre and often low in calories too, and where for health reasons you might decide that the extra fibre is needed in your diet (e.g. on a red day you might not be getting much fibre from any of your free foods such as meat, poultry (whereas on green you get a lot of fibre from potatoes and root veg), so you might need the extra fibre to "keep things moving".

Hope that makes it a bit clearer!

You need to read the entries in conjunction with the symbols that appear alongside them

60g bean is the speed option while 125g is the extra fibre boost. So both are valid HEB amounts :)

I don't think I explained very well :)

So you get 1 HEB on Extra Easy and 2 HEBs on Green/Red... whichever plan you are following, one item from the list of HEBs for that plan counts as one HEB. Where you see something like the Cannelini Beans above on the Red plan, this means that you can either choose 60g as one HEB, or 125g as one HEB. You would still have another HEB to use up (on whatever you like) regardless of whether you opted for the 60g or 125g of Cannelini Beans. You won't see this happen very often in the book, and it certainly never happens on Cereals/Porridges - it's only on foods which are very high in fibre and often low in calories too, and where for health reasons you might decide that the extra fibre is needed in your diet (e.g. on a red day you might not be getting much fibre from any of your free foods such as meat, poultry (whereas on green you get a lot of fibre from potatoes and root veg), so you might need the extra fibre to "keep things moving".

Hope that makes it a bit clearer!

Ah right I understand now MissNix :). I guess I couldn't get my head round why anyone would choose less over more food! LOL. I have cannellini beans everyday in my salad so of course I'm gonna choose the larger portion if I'm allowed! Thanks x

Ah right I understand now MissNix :). I guess I couldn't get my head round why anyone would choose less over more food! LOL. I have cannellini beans everyday in my salad so of course I'm gonna choose the larger portion if I'm allowed! Thanks x

You're welcome :) x

Back