Something has clicked!!

squidge82

I started SW 10 days ago, and so far so good. Ive been following plan with no hiccups, never feeling hungry or like im going without yet, in the past attempts of losing weight there have been times when ive eaten that chocolate bar or packet of crisps, for no other reason than 'feeling like them' and then never being able to stop, and i was scared that i was going to head the same way on this attempt.

Well today, in this glorious sunshine suddenly all those thoughts of 'oh its only a chocolate bar, ill be good tomorrow' were banished. I was standing there in the local park (with my niece, im not some kind of hoodie!) and the sweat just started to drip off me. I wasnt doing anything, i wasnt wearing my winter woolies (i was in cropped jeans, vest top and flip flops), i was literally just stood there or walking very slowly yet i was sweating. I was suddenly very aware of my body shape and 'rolls' where the sweat was settling (sorry).

It was kind of my 'light bulb' moment. and from now on, if i do ever think of not sticking to plan, i will just remember that moment and how uncomfortable i was and what i want in life and i know which path ill choose!

Did anyone else have their own 'light bulb' moment?

(sorry if this has been covered before)

Go you!

Mine was recently when I was thinking how much I want to do with my life and what I want to see, where I want to travel to - and then I just had this crushing realisation that I couldn't do any of that because I'm too big and I wouldn't feel confident or fit enough to do any of it.

I then and there decided enough was enough and I need to do this to start my life!!

Good for you! :) To be honest, I don't think I ever had that light bulb moment. When I started SW, I was pretty much certain that I would never lose weight, given that I'd tried pretty much every other slimming club going. So maybe my light bulb moment was when I stepped on the scales for the first time - pretty sure I wouldn't have lost any weight because I'd eaten soooo much food that week - and lost over half a stone. I started feeling a whole lot more optimistic about things then, lol!

I still have my black moments - I've been struggling and yo-yoing this year so far - but I'm pretty sure now that I won't go back to the size I was. I have the tools to get to target - and to get back there, if I wobble :)

I went to my first SWMeeting on Monday-joined up, got the books but I honestly don't have a clue what im meant to do- dont know what to have for breakfast (dont have time for a cooked one) honestly dont understand it-ive tried numerous other types of diet and maybe its that thats confusing me-low carbs, calorie counting etc- I want to loos 11/2 stone -can anybody explain to me in simple terms please xx

I went to my first SWMeeting on Monday-joined up, got the books but I honestly don't have a clue what im meant to do- dont know what to have for breakfast (dont have time for a cooked one) honestly dont understand it-ive tried numerous other types of diet and maybe its that thats confusing me-low carbs, calorie counting etc- I want to loos 11/2 stone -can anybody explain to me in simple terms please xx

Hi Ali, no need to feel like that, loads of people on here will off you the support you need I'm sure, you probably need to post your comments in a new thread tho, not sure where as I'm new too! ok the diet as I see it, in my short 4 weeks is this. you choose one healthy extra a and one b per day, eat unlimited veg, fruit, meat, poulty, fish, pasta, rice and then anything extra you eat has a syn value and you can only eat up to 15 syns a day. One thing Ive found is that you have to be organised and cook alot from scratch, thats the best way. I struggled with breakfast, but now have a yogurt and fruit that way I keep my healthy extras for later in the day, so i can have a sandwich for lunch and maybe cheese with my tea. If I can help anymore please message me. You will get there, surf the forum you'll find some lovely people with some fab advise and ideas. Good luck x

I started SW 10 days ago, and so far so good. Ive been following plan with no hiccups, never feeling hungry or like im going without yet, in the past attempts of losing weight there have been times when ive eaten that chocolate bar or packet of crisps, for no other reason than 'feeling like them' and then never being able to stop, and i was scared that i was going to head the same way on this attempt.

Well today, in this glorious sunshine suddenly all those thoughts of 'oh its only a chocolate bar, ill be good tomorrow' were banished. I was standing there in the local park (with my niece, im not some kind of hoodie!) and the sweat just started to drip off me. I wasnt doing anything, i wasnt wearing my winter woolies (i was in cropped jeans, vest top and flip flops), i was literally just stood there or walking very slowly yet i was sweating. I was suddenly very aware of my body shape and 'rolls' where the sweat was settling (sorry).

It was kind of my 'light bulb' moment. and from now on, if i do ever think of not sticking to plan, i will just remember that moment and how uncomfortable i was and what i want in life and i know which path ill choose!

So pleased for you, nothing like a hot sweaty day to make you feel focused eh! Ive not had a light bulb moment myself it just feels like the right time to do it, totally for me.

Hi, congrats on joining, once you get the hang of it theyll be no stopping you. I dont think im the best person to explain it as im still learning myself so ill wait for someone else who'll be able to give you much better advice than me.
As for breakfast, theres various things you can have other than a cooked breakfast - cereal, cereal bars, yogurt with fruit, ryvitas with laughing cow cheese, toast, beans on toast (ok, thats cooked, but fairly quick).

For meal ideas theres loads of excellent ones in the recipe section. And if, like me, you sometimes need inspiration theres loads for you to get stuck into. Theres also the syns value section, so if you have something that you are unsure of syn value just post up and im sure someone will be able to help.

Sorry i cant be much more of a help, but stick with it x

Well done on clicking!

My lightbulb moment that things had to change was........and I hate remembering it ............my Dad died and 6 months after his funeral I had to go back up north to scatter his ashes. I knew it was going to be cold and to cheer myself up I went to lovely shoe shop in town and decided to buy myself a really nice pair of lace up knee length boots.
Firstly, I could barely bend over to put them on and then of course, my legs were too fat for them. The shop assistant is a really nice lady that i vaguely know and she noticed but said nothing when I 'decided not to buy them'. That was my lowest point - I felt bad about what I had to go and do and the boots nearly finished me off.

Sadly,it was nearly 2 years until it clicked for me - but that incident definitely defined it. x

I think those moments are the ones that freak us out into losing weight for the last time. Good on you, I believe you can do it :)
I started dieting when my ex cheated on me and left me for somebody else, it wasn't until I went to the doctors with a complaint to find out my blood pressure was high and I have PCO. He was convinced that my cystic ovaries would get better if I lost weight and told me if I keep on at the weight I am I won't live till I am 40 (due to my blood pressure) that really scared the heck out of me and keeps me going, of course I have my ups and downs with dieting but for every downfall, I pick myself back up and get back on track.

squidge82 said:

I think it's great that you have something to keep you motivated!

My 'lightbulb' moment was when I tried a dress on for a party and couldn't zip it up. I'm sure most people experience this but I'd previously worn the dress for a wedding 3 years ago when I was 6 months pregnant, and trust me I was not a skinny pregnant lady ;-)

That's what started me off but what's keeping me going is the fact we're going on a cruise for my 30th in Sept and I've got all these glamorous dresses in my wardrobe that I can't fit my backside into! I refuse to buy new ones!

Good Luck with your weight loss!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I think it's great that you have something to keep you motivated!

My 'lightbulb' moment was when I tried a dress on for a party and couldn't zip it up. I'm sure most people experience this but I'd previously worn the dress for a wedding 3 years ago when I was 6 months pregnant, and trust me I was not a skinny pregnant lady ;-)

That's what started me off but what's keeping me going is the fact we're going on a cruise for my 30th in Sept and I've got all these glamorous dresses in my wardrobe that I can't fit my backside into! I refuse to buy new ones!

Good Luck with your weight loss!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ah yes, pregnancy - my lightbulb moment should have been when I weighed more than I was pregnant - ad that was 12 years after last giving birth x

I think my lightbulb moment came because I was at my very lowest point. I won't waffle about it here because I just waffled about it in my diary! But, needless to say, I knew that life was never going to get any better until I made some changes. X

Mine was the realisation my life was passing me by and I was always watching from the back. I too gained so much I was more than I did when pregnant and ready to drop! :(

Have done sw 5 times previously and never done as well or commited as long. I would give up at 1 and half stone loss. Now at 4 stone and I'm going to do it now. Ive come too far to not :)

Reality is. I was the huge fat mum sat on the bench in the park watching my son play. Now I'm the chubby mum running around climbing up frames and on the swings. That's the reality slap I needed and ill not ever get that bad again.

I think what clicked for me was MY KNEES (ouch) At 44 I can't get away with carrying so much extra weight. A couple of months ago I was in agony with my knees and back! Still a bit sore, but not as bad as it was. :)

Back