Starting slowly

slimmerwithin

I guys I have been dieting on and off for nearly all my life. I am now at my heaviest weight ever over 17 stone!!! I have decided that this time will be different. I am not just going to change my eating habits but I am going to change my mental and emotional thoughts around food. I can't do lighter life although I believe the counselling would be great because I am about to spend 8 weeks in france so can't get to a counsellor. Therefore I am doing slim and save and have been reading the neck diet solution for the cognitive bit. It makes a lot of sense but suggests that you practice certain behaviours for 2 weeks before you start your selected diet, for example planning your food, soaring your thoughts, teaching your body how to deal with hunger, recognising and Ealing with cravings. It says you are more likely to succeed if you practice these things before starting your "diet" I don't think I can wait that long but I have decided to start a week on Monday as I have some big does over the next week. However I thought. Would ease myself in gradually with the following plan. Also give me a chance to decide which packs I like before I order a bumper pack for my French retreat. Please can you give me your thoughts.

From today - no alcohol and no sugar and replace one meal a day with a pack plus one bar a day.

From Thursday - reduce other carbs eg no bread, no rice, pasta or potatoes plus replace two meals a day with packs.

From Monday full slim and save programme 4 packs a day or 3 packs plus protein if needed.

Is there any difference in weight loss with 4 packs or 3 packs and protein?

Will this plan make going into ketosis easier or should I just go cold turkey?

Any thoughts? Thanks

It definitely makes going into ketosis easier if you cut back on carbs before you start. Far better than the carb loaded 'last supper' that I did ;). And easing into the packs is a good idea too as it will start to reduce your calorie intake before you start so all good stuff. Good luck!

It sounds a really sensible plan, with the attitude you have you will do fantastically! Go for it!! Lucky you in France, Lovely!

The Beck Diet solution is a good book for CBT - although I do find her tone a little controlling (eg you MUST do such and such at the same time every day) as long as you take the concepts from it it has some very good advice. From the TA point of view I would suggest 'Weight Loss for Everyone the TA Way' by Frank Bruno (not that one!). It is an old book which is out of print and has to be shipped from the US but you can order it on the UK Amazon site. Alternatively you could get 'The Overweight Patitent' by Kathy Leach, which is a TA book aimed at medical people who deal with overweight patients - which is also very good.

I mix LL with SnS and I have to say that I find the therapy side of things really useful.

CBT - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
TA - Transactional Analysis

Thanks for the info I will look into it. What is the difference between can't and ta and do I need both. Is there any way of doing the lighter life therapy on line or by Skype

I assume you mean CBT and TA? CBT is about changing your behaviours. TA is a model of the way in which we think which helps us to analyse why we do things and so change what we do. Both are different and complimentary. I don't know if LL do Skype but I suspect not. You may be able to find a therapist that would though.

Sorry I will type that again (bloody predictive text) what is the difference between ta and cbt and do I need both?

Back